Autoflex Spray Shield

you're telling me PPF is priced lower than $1800 in your area?
well that explains a lot,

If PPF here in NYC was priced like your area, i'd probably stay with something i know works. But it's not, and hence the reason for this post.
I just don't want to spend thousands $$$ on PPF anymore if there is another option that's more economical and can get the job done just as well.
With the savings, i'll can have the car fully detailed and ceramic coated or have it sprayed again if it ever chips.

Why are you being so secretive about the price of this spray-on coating?
I and other poster(s) have asked how much it costs, yet you continue to ignore the question.

So tell us, how much does it cost to do the full front of a CX-5?
Does it include the full 14-coat process shown in the video you posted? 2 tack coats, 10 wet coats, 2 top coats?
What type of warranty does it come with?

True, so please tell us how much it cost from a reputable installer for front, full front, and full car? Does it come with any kind of warranty?

in nyc from the quotes i got for autoflex spray shield.
full front ~$800 - $1500
full car ~$2500 - $3500

full front ppf = ~$1800 - $3000
full car ~ $5,000 - $8,000

comes with 1 year warranty, and will cover any defects for autoflex,

PPF comes with 5 years of warranty, but you would have to pay for labor.

but in both cases if the protection ever got ripped or chipped, you'll be paying out of pocket and autoflex will be cheaper to re-apply

so i guess i'll see how well this autoflex lasts and wears.

dude you need to chill,
i just responded.
There's no secret...jeesh.
and what do you care? you're not even remotely interested in this product.

Why are you being so secretive about the price of this spray-on coating?
I and other poster(s) have asked how much it costs, yet you continue to ignore the question.

So tell us, how much does it cost to do the full front of a CX-5?
Does it include the full 14-coat process shown in the video you posted? 2 tack coats, 10 wet coats, 2 top coats?
What type of warranty does it come with?

Of course, he does mention in the description of the video that the Autoflex still needs to be wetsanded and polished, so the end product may look quite good. At that point though, the installer is doing quite a bit of work - masking/taping, applying 14 coats, cure time, then wetsanding and polishing. The only difference between an actual paint job at this point is panel removal. When you factor in the amount of time that the car has to sit in the booth and the shop rate of a reputable installer, it's hard to understand how all of that could cost less than a PPF installation, especially if the PPF being applied is a pre-cut kit.

That said, if you have an Autoflex installer who can do all of the required work, get it to come out as good as a PPF application, and provide the same amount of protection (i.e. adds a 5-8 mil thick layer of protection against rock chips and such) for less than the cost of PPF, and you can make do without your car for the added downtime, I would definitely deem it to be a viable alternative. It just doesn't seem possible unless the installer is significantly lowering their $/hr rate.

It is NOT possible for the Autoflex installation shown in the video to be cheaper than PPF.

PPF installation does NOT require...full-blown paint booth, airless sprayers, taping/masking, mixing of multiple products, 14 separate coats, 30 minutes of drying between each, wetsanding & polishing.
Autoflex requires MORE time, skill, tools, products = MORE money.

My guess is the OP is getting quotes for someone spraying 3-5 coats (instead of 14) of a single product (not multiple coat types) with little prep (minimal masking to prevent overspray) and minimal/no refinement (wetsanding/polishing).

before you put your foot in your mouth,
why don't you read this other thread that mentions how much layers the same installer put on his car?

And if ppf doesn't require a full blown paint booth same goes for vinyl, WHY does it cost in the thousands?

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/foru...-concept-silver-during-reveal#comment-1543195

It is NOT possible for the Autoflex installation shown in the video to be cheaper than PPF.

PPF installation does NOT require...full-blown paint booth, airless sprayers, taping/masking, mixing of multiple products, 14 separate coats, 30 minutes of drying between each, wetsanding & polishing.

My guess is the OP is getting quotes for someone spraying 3-5 coats (instead of 14) of a single product (not multiple coat types) with little prep (minimal masking to prevent overspray) and minimal/no refinement (wetsanding/polishing).

in nyc from the quotes i got for autoflex spray shield...
full front ~$800 - $1500
full front ppf = ~$1800 - $3000

Did you ask how a product that takes 2x the time, effort, skill, tools, and special facilities can supposedly cost half as much as PPF?

For that $800-$1500 job...
- Did you ask how many coats you get? Is it the full 14 coats shown in the video, or 4 coats?
- Did you ask if they are spraying all of the specialized coating products (tack, wet, top)?
- Did you ask how many mils thick the coating is? And if it is self-healing like PPF?
- Are they wetsanding and polishing for that price?

Based on the prices Young-nyc quoted, I'd have to agree.

Young-nyc, those prices quoted by your installer, did they specify how many coats they would be doing? Are they listed as an authorized Autoflex Applicator? I ask because every installer is different, and it seems that anyone with access to the Autoflex coatings and a paint gun could call themselves an "installer". I didn't check to see if Autoflex is only available to authorized applicators, all I know is that I've seen it being sold over the counter in aerosol cans (like PlastiDip).

Last edited:
yup, it's an authorized installer,
you can look it up at dipyourcar.com
yes 14 coats just like the video.

i've done my research and have looked around for a good reputable installer.

Based on the prices Young-nyc quoted, I'd have to agree.

Young-nyc, those prices quoted by your installer, did they specify how many coats they would be doing? Are they listed as an authorized Autoflex Applicator? I ask because every installer is different, and it seems that anyone with access to the Autoflex coatings and a paint gun could call themselves an "installer". I didn't check to see if Autoflex is only available to authorized applicators, all I know is that I've seen it being sold over the counter in aerosol cans (like PlastiDip).

hey thanks for looking out for me,
but i think i'll do just fine without you trolling me with 20 questions, ESPECIALLY For someone who's not interested in this product.

still can't get over why the price is the price?
I would move on now.
thanks

but for those who are interested,
please feel free to ask about the product, i'm just getting it applied and hoping it'll come out great and it'll last.
Won't know this until time passes.

here's another link to what other's are saying:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...lue-blueberry-juice-in-autoflex-satin.121499/

Did you ask how a product that takes 2x the time, effort, skill, tools, and special facilities can supposedly cost half as much as PPF?

For that $800-$1500 job...
- Did you ask how many coats you get? Is it the full 14 coats shown in the video, or 4 coats?
- Did you ask if they are spraying all of the specialized coating products (tack, wet, top)?
- Did you ask how many mils thick the coating is? And if it is self-healing like PPF?
- Are they wetsanding and polishing for that price?

Last edited:
hey thanks for looking out for me,
but i think i'll do just fine without you trolling me with 20 questions, ESPECIALLY For someone who's not interested in this product.
still can't get over why the price is the price?

This is very simple...

You can't dispute that the process shown in the video takes CONSIDERABLY more time, effort, skill, tools, and special facilities than PPF.

So given this, why would it be HALF the cost of PPF?

yup, it's an authorized installer,
you can look it up at dipyourcar.com
yes 14 coats just like the video.

i've done my research and have looked around for a good reputable installer.

Thanks, hope it works out for you. I'd be interested in seeing pics of the final product and getting some feedback on performance. I would also be interested in a measurement of thickness, though I know that not everyone has access to a good paint meter to measure thickness.

Thanks, hope it works out for you. I'd be interested in seeing pics of the final product and getting some feedback on performance. I would also be interested in a measurement of thickness, though I know that not everyone has access to a good paint meter to measure thickness.

Thanks man,
i'm kinda of curious myself..and hope it works out too...i mean dang i already did it, so no turning back right?
will try to update with some pics.

This is very simple...

You can't dispute that the process shown in the video takes CONSIDERABLY more time, effort, skill, tools, and special facilities than PPF.

So given this, why would it be HALF the cost of PPF?

maybe another question is why is PPF so much? it's just film right?

maybe another question is why is PPF so much? it's just film right?

I think that in your situation, the value of the Autoflex coating is amplified by the fact that PPF installation seems to cost so much more in your market than it does in some others. For example, in my market, basic PPF film and installation for the front end would run anywhere from $1200-1600 CAD (full front, so no visible seams). If someone were advertising Autoflex for the same price, I would be having the same reaction as bluegrass. Applying one layer of film is a lot less work that spraying on 10-14 coats, both in terms of labour hours and skill required.

I think that in your situation, the value of the Autoflex coating is amplified by the fact that PPF installation seems to cost so much more in your market than it does in some others. For example, in my market, basic PPF film and installation for the front end would run anywhere from $1200-1600 CAD (full front, so no visible seams). If someone were advertising Autoflex for the same price, I would be having the same reaction as bluegrass. Applying one layer of film is a lot less work that spraying on 10-14 coats, both in terms of labour hours and skill required.

I agree with this assessment.
You can have the entire front end done in PPF for well under $1500 in my area.

But the OP said he could have the Autoflex coating done for only $800 in NYC.
I don't see how that is possible given all of the labor, tools, equipment, skills involved.

Just the wait time between the 14 coats adds up to ~7 hour alone, not including the application time or drying after the final coat.
So your paint booth is tied up for the better part of TWO full days.
Plus the time/cost to mask everything off, prep the paint surface, then wetsand and polish afterwards.

I got my CX-5 PPF'd with Xpel and honestly probably wouldn't do it again. I paid $1,300 for the full front. I had my 14 CX-5 before for 4 years without any protection and yes, while the paint chipped easily, Dr. Color Chip did a good enough job that if I got one I could fill in the chip easily.

I'm more worried now about how hard it's going to be to get the PPF off when it's time. I've gotten a few decent rock strikes that would have total chipped the paint, but instead have torn the PPF, and now it looks a lot worse than if I had just touched up a tiny area. No way to fix a tear without replacing that entire piece.

Also at the end of the day these are just Mazdas. Maybe if I was driving a Ford GT or a 911 or some other expensive or rare car it would make sense, but I doubt that you'll ever get more for the trade in on the back end than what you paid for the coating or the PPF.

you are so right with this statement.

I got my CX-5 PPF'd with Xpel and honestly probably wouldn't do it again. I paid $1,300 for the full front. I had my 14 CX-5 before for 4 years without any protection and yes, while the paint chipped easily, Dr. Color Chip did a good enough job that if I got one I could fill in the chip easily.

I'm more worried now about how hard it's going to be to get the PPF off when it's time. I've gotten a few decent rock strikes that would have total chipped the paint, but instead have torn the PPF, and now it looks a lot worse than if I had just touched up a tiny area. No way to fix a tear without replacing that entire piece.

Also at the end of the day these are just Mazdas. Maybe if I was driving a Ford GT or a 911 or some other expensive or rare car it would make sense, but I doubt that you'll ever get more for the trade in on the back end than what you paid for the coating or the PPF.

yup again, i wouldn't worry too much about the pricing since it's none of your concern.
But it seems like you just can't let it go..haha
$800 is the starting price topping off at $1500.

Just like PPF starting at $1500.

I agree with this assessment.
You can have the entire front end done in PPF for well under $1500 in my area.

But the OP said he could have the Autoflex coating done for only $800 in NYC.
I don't see how that is possible given all of the labor, tools, equipment, skills involved.

Just the wait time between the 14 coats adds up to ~7 hour alone, not including the application time or drying after the final coat.
So your paint booth is tied up for the better part of TWO full days.
Plus the time/cost to mask everything off, prep the paint surface, then wetsand and polish afterwards.

very well put, and if bluegrass actually stated it like how you did, we would be having a nice constructive conversation.

Back