Mysterious Wrench/Spanner Light - Troubleshooting

:
Mazda 2 / RSTi / FJ80
The past week or so I've been experiencing the wrench/spanner light illuminating approx. 5 mins after start-up only when under load (driving).

So far I've done the following:
(i) Completed the maint. light reset procedure of holding the odometer reset button while turning the ignition without starting the vehicle - light comes on after 5 min of driving. Previously this worked after doing an oil change
(ii) Let the car idle for over 10 mins - resulted in no light
(iii) Disconnected the battery, drained the residual by holding the brake pedal, and reconnected the battery - resulted in the auto up/down of the driver window to not work until I turn off the car then on again. Maybe this has to do with the light being on? I have found that when this maint. light is on the cruise control does not function at all.

I'm beginning to think there's an electrical issue here as I've noticed the following problems:
(i) Blinking door light after opening/closing passenger side door. Random blinking while driving, not always on.
(ii) Window switch didn't auto up/down after resetting battery and wrench light on. Requires further investigation as this is now working fine.
(iii) Cruise control does not function when wrench light on - maybe this is intended by Mazda/Ford?

Anyone have wiring diagrams for the 1st generation Mazda2? I'm not looking to pay a visit to the stealership. I have also read about grounding wires in the doors causing issues so I'll report back after I have some light to check that out.

Any feedback or help is greatly appreciated!

Checking back in, lots of reads, zero input. There's not a whole lot about Mazda2's to help troubleshoot online. While I enjoy this newer vehicle I don't enjoy the electrical crap that comes along with it. I'll be plugging in an OBD-II scanner tomorrow to see what's up - if anything actually does pull. Otherwise I'm off to the stealership just so they can plug in their proprietary hardware into this to read it. Might as well have bought a sony product. If this is the future of new vehicles I'll be hanging onto my 90s vehicles forever.

Checking back in, lots of reads, zero input. There's not a whole lot about Mazda2's to help troubleshoot online. While I enjoy this newer vehicle I don't enjoy the electrical crap that comes along with it. I'll be plugging in an OBD-II scanner tomorrow to see what's up - if anything actually does pull. Otherwise I'm off to the stealership just so they can plug in their proprietary hardware into this to read it. Might as well have bought a sony product. If this is the future of new vehicles I'll be hanging onto my 90s vehicles forever.

This is the future. I just dumped $3k in my 2002 4Runner because I don't want to deal with this garbage in a new vehicle. The future of vehicles is to lease. Purchasing won't make financial sense.

This is the future. I just dumped $3k in my 2002 4Runner because I don't want to deal with this garbage in a new vehicle. The future of vehicles is to lease. Purchasing won't make financial sense.

Same reason I'm hanging onto my 80 series, although those parts are becoming obsolete :(

So I have a resolution to the wrench/spanner or as the Owner's Manual calls it the Malfunction Light.

On page 5-38 of the 2012 Mazda 2 Owner's Manual it states:
"When the ignition is switched ON, the malfunction warning light illuminates and then turns off after a few seconds. The light stays on if the brake switch has a malfunction. Consult an Authorized Mazda Dealer."

Today I picked up Part Number BN7N-66-490A which is a new Brake Switch from Mazda. I verified before hand this was for the 2012 Mazda 2 Manual Transmission and the dealer had it in stock for $23.27 (incl. tax).

I pulled the old switch from under the dash/above the brake pedal and replaced with the new. It's a very simple install that takes 5 minutes. This dude has a video for reference. You disconnect the wire, twist the switch, and it pulls right out. Reverse this for install.

Side by side you can tell there's a difference in the way the plunger on the switch feels. The old seems to have 2 phases where initially is pushed easy then secondary is harder. The new switch is consistent throughout.

To address my prior issues
I'm beginning to think there's an electrical issue here as I've noticed the following problems:
(i) Blinking door light after opening/closing passenger side door. Random blinking while driving, not always on.
This is probably in the door itself and not related to this particular issue. Something I can live with for now.

(ii) Window switch didn't auto up/down after resetting battery and wrench light on. Requires further investigation as this is now working fine.
I read that this is common and you have to actually reteach the switch to auto up/down. I think the battery disconnect lost the memory for this function or something of the sort.

(iii) Cruise control does not function when wrench light on - maybe this is intended by Mazda/Ford?
I still think this is an intended action by the manufacturer due to a safety device malfunctioning. Interesting note is that I was able to initiate cruise prior the the malfunction light turning on this morning and it stayed off the entire time I used cruise.

So there you have it! I hope this helps others in the future when searching for answers.

Last edited:
Back