Remote starter

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hey guys,

With winter approaching, who has a remote starter installed on their CX-5? If so, what did it end up running you cost wise to have it installed? I am looking at getting a Compustar with the Drone add-on. I'm looking at $565 installed. Does that sound reasonable?

Anyway, just curious.

Thanks all!

We just had the Compustar/Drone Mobile remote starter installed in both of our 2019 CX-5s. The Drone Mobile app has a couple of minor glitches that I hope will be resolved in future updates. Generally, I'm happy with the system.

We're also in WI. Had the remote starters installed by Sound Decisions in Racine. They are really nice people, very knowledgeable, and great to work with. The installed price was $399.99, plus tax, for each.

Last edited:
We just had the Compustar/Drone Mobile remote starter installed in both of our 2019 CX-5s. The Drone Mobile app has a couple of minor glitches that I hope will be resolved in future updates. Generally, I'm happy with the system.

We're also in WI. Had the remote starters installed by Sound Decisions in Racine. They are really nice people, very knowledgeable, and great to work with. The installed price was $399.99, plus tax, for each.

We live in Kenosha. Ill have to give Sound Decisions a call! Thats really a good price. How long did the install take, and how far booked out are they?

We're in Kenosha, too. Due to our schedules, we made the appointments about 2 weeks in advance. Sound Decisions told me they get pretty busy after Nov. 1. Installation took about 3.5 hours for each vehicle.

When you call, you'll probably talk with either Chris or Katie. They're both great. I have no affiliation with Sound Decisions, by the way.

I installed my own fortin and drone mobile.

Fortin and compustar are identical in difficulty. It took less than 30 min. I wouldn*t go to an installer, it*s easy enough to do solo. Drone mobile took 2 minutes to install (it connects to the compustar) and I was able to add a relay to my starter so that the power lift gate works with dronemobile, even if the car is running.

We're in Kenosha, too. Due to our schedules, we made the appointments about 2 weeks in advance. Sound Decisions told me they get pretty busy after Nov. 1. Installation took about 3.5 hours for each vehicle.

When you call, you'll probably talk with either Chris or Katie. They're both great. I have no affiliation with Sound Decisions, by the way.

What do you pay a year to use the drone service? Do you pay through your cell service, or pay drone directly?

It's a subscription directly with Drone, although I'm told the system uses the cell service from either AT&T or Verizon. Details of the available plans are here.

We had a 0.6mile with seperate tiny fob that tells you if car starts for $419. Works awesome with great distance and no monthly fees.

So far I'm loving my drone feature. It works great, and I can start it from anywhere! The monthly fees do suck, but it's a whopping $5/month.

I ended up paying $370 for mine (Discounted coat drive).

I don't know of any glitches with drone mobile except the occasional syncing with phone when using the applewatch, which takes a min or so, i love the remote start and mazda should really take notes on this.
Just the plain fact the engine doesn't turn off when you open the door and the fact that you can start the car with your OEM keyfob is awesome.

Back