Dealer installed remote start

:
Mitishi Outlander
I am looking to put a OEM remote start into my 18 CX9 Touring . I am not sure I want to risk a third party install. Has anyone gone back to the dealer to have one installed ? How much did they charge ? Are you happy with it ? Thanks .

Most people prefer an aftermarket remote start compared to the OEM Mazda option for various reasons. If I wanted an OEM starter, I think I would be most comfortable having the dealer install it, but it's almost a given that it will be more expensive than having it installed anywhere else.

I would suggest looking into Fortin's options. Some owners here have bought their remote start kits and successfully DIY'd the installation. If I wanted a remote start, that's the one I would look into, because I like that you can use the fob that comes with the car (no need to add an extra fob for the remote start).

I am not sure I want to risk a third party install.
As long as you deal with reputable shop, you will be fine. I recently had a Compustar installed in my CX and love it. Factory alarms can be limiting in their options.

Fortin is the easiest install ever, don't waste money going to the dealer/independent shop and DIY.

I'm looking into adding a Dronemobile unit to mine so I can remote unlock/lock/start it via my phone.

As long as you deal with reputable shop, you will be fine. I recently had a Compustar installed in my CX and love it. Factory alarms can be limiting in their options.

I am not going to try and install a remote on my CX9 , I don't think it would end well. I went to Best buy and ordered a Compustar cm 3 to be install next sat for $269.00 . Can you use your Mazda remote to operate the system , the installer said he will only know when he programs the unit. A local dealer wanted $550 to do it and that was an "employee price" since I work at a plex that has a Mazda store.

Can you use your Mazda remote to operate the system , the installer said he will only know when he programs the unit.
No. All regular features of the smartkey/remote work, but they don't have any control of the Compustar. I have seen video's where other vehicle's smartkey's controlled the Compustar, so not sure what the difference maker there is.

The module has to support OEM remote monitoring. Without more info on which module specifically they are installing it is hard to tell if remote monitoring can be activated or not for your remote. The CX-9 can definitely support that feature, since I have it running that way with the Fortin evo-one module. If the compustar module can handle it then it would just be an option to turn on in the settings of the remote starter.

But if you are already spending the money to buy an additional RF remote, why are you interested in using the OEM key? The OEM key will have less range than the aftermarket remote.

The module has to support OEM remote monitoring. Without more info on which module specifically they are installing it is hard to tell if remote monitoring can be activated or not for your remote. The CX-9 can definitely support that feature, since I have it running that way with the Fortin evo-one module. If the compustar module can handle it then it would just be an option to turn on in the settings of the remote starter.

But if you are already spending the money to buy an additional RF remote, why are you interested in using the OEM key? The OEM key will have less range than the aftermarket remote.

May i have the link where to buy OEM key for my CX-9 2013, youri? Thanks

May i have the link where to buy OEM key for my CX-9 2013, youri? Thanks

Had Best Buy install my Compustar rs1b-dc3 yesterday and my Romotes did accept signal from unit . Cost 259 installed , Mazda dealer wanted $550 to do the same . Works great .

I installed myself OEM remote start for 2010 Mazda 3, CX-9 and Mobile Start for 2019 Mazda 6. I can say MMS and remote start for 2019 models installation is much easier and lesser work than the one in 2010.
I'm just waiting for my order to arrive and install it on my new 2019 CX-9.
I'm happy with OEM one.

I'm in Ontario, I'll assume same system from dealer where you are. I ordered as dealer accessory before delivery (no way I should be installing anything more complex than a light bulb).

Sales guy said to drive away, need to turn off car and turn on again. Which I find to not be true. I find i can shift to drive and just pull away. (it did fail once, maybe just missed sensing my key?)

I tested with no key, shifting to D turned car off, as it should.

What I don't like is it doesn't seem to keep my seat heater and steering wheel heater settings, our CRV will do that. (At least it doesn't seem to from memory, but maybe i am forgetting to turn those on before leaving car?) And i find that it is sensitive to how fast or slow i press the buttons to initiate the start, so often i need to try multiple times before it starts. Not sure about aftermarket and these details.

I'm in Ontario, I'll assume same system from dealer where you are. I ordered as dealer accessory before delivery (no way I should be installing anything more complex than a light bulb).

Sales guy said to drive away, need to turn off car and turn on again. Which I find to not be true. I find i can shift to drive and just pull away. (it did fail once, maybe just missed sensing my key?)

I tested with no key, shifting to D turned car off, as it should.

What I don't like is it doesn't seem to keep my seat heater and steering wheel heater settings, our CRV will do that. (At least it doesn't seem to from memory, but maybe i am forgetting to turn those on before leaving car?) And i find that it is sensitive to how fast or slow i press the buttons to initiate the start, so often i need to try multiple times before it starts. Not sure about aftermarket and these details.

I installed myself OEM remote start for my mazdas.
Only with my 2010 CX-9, I can start the engine remotely, open the door, turn the key and drive away.
With 2010 Mazda3 I had before, 2019 Mazda6 and CX-9, once you open the door or trunk, engine will stop and you have to start again.

Last edited:
I installed myself OEM remote start for my mazdas.
Only with my 2010 CX-9, I can start the engine remotely, open the door, turn the key and drive away.
With 2010 Mazda3 I had before, 2019 Mazda6 and CX-9, once you open the door or trunk, engine will stop and you have to start again.

Yes and is the reason why the mazda system is not as useful as the aftermarket where the engine does not turn off upon opening the door. Also a major + that you can remote start with the OEM keyfob with the compustar system

Yes and is the reason why the mazda system is not as useful as the aftermarket where the engine does not turn off upon opening the door. Also a major + that you can remote start with the OEM keyfob with the compustar system

I am just curious, what you need to do after you get in the car while engine is running with remote start?
With my 2010 CX-9, if I step on brake, engine stops. If I turn the ignition key on before stepping on brake, I then step the brake to gear and drive.

I have 2019 CX9 Signature, when i open door engine stays on. I just put in D and drive away, as if it was just left on.

I tested it just once with key outside car. When i hit brake pedal to shift, engine turned off. I didnt test again.

Strange.

Dealer remote

I am looking to put a OEM remote start into my 18 CX9 Touring . I am not sure I want to risk a third party install. Has anyone gone back to the dealer to have one installed ? How much did they charge ? Are you happy with it ? Thanks .

I will let you know MONDAY. I am getting one installed. App based remote. Both app and non app are 900.00. I worked in on my deal. I was what I took to accept the deal

I just ordered compustar T12 and Drone system with T harness. I really like some other features they offer.

I tested today, left seat heaters and steering wheel heater on. When I remote started at end of work day, they did not turn on. Dealer installed, in Canada.

Warm car is nice...warm surfaces would be nicer.

Back