Preview some elements of the future electric CX in Mazda's first EV, the MX-30

:
2019 CX-5 AWD
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/10/23/mazda-mx-30-ev-revealed-tokyo-motor-show-2/

mazda-mx-30-13.jpg

Realize that this is a first effort in the EV space, but it leaves me cold. Seems like more of a compliance car than anything else. As the CX-5 makes up over 40% of Mazda's sales in North America, an all electric CX (this time with more range and AWD) seems likely in a few years.

I think the real purpose is to put this cheaper, compact, 2WD EV out at a loss to get field data so they can make their major series EVs better.

Most here think the Rav4 is ugly, well this looks very similar, although smaller, IMO.

I think it's kinda ugly, and cheap looking with all that plastic. Pass.

Most here think the Rav4 is ugly, well this looks very similar, although smaller, IMO.

Agreed. Why does it look so boring on the outside?

Add in a cramped interior and sales-proof mini suicide doors (off putting to a majority of customers - people hated them on the i3) and it's a dud. A compliance car first effort.

At least they are taking their time to get it right for their moneymaker, the CX.

Looks like a rip off Mazda vehicle and using "MX" for it is about as bad as using "Eclipse" on a crossover lol. Also Mitsubishi already has a PHEV on the market which they claim is the " world's best selling hybrid SUV". Curious to see the price point on this.

Maybe each unit they sell costs the company money, so they don't want people to buy it and made it look boring. That matte black mule (probably a one-off body shell) looks way better to me.

I really hope the cheap black plastic cladding doesn't migrate to other models in the Mazda lineup. I don't want and won't buy a Subaru lookalike. The CX-5, as it is right now in base form, looks far more upscale.

This is not coming to stateside yet. It will sell well in EU / Japan where a 135 mile EPA or 180 mile range as per EU standards is appealing. The cargo hatch is pretty bad - it slants so much. Most importantly what will be the charging speed? 30 mins to 80% should be bare minimum.
US might see the PHEV version with rotary range extender. It is a great city car with something different and might sell in CARB states with added state incentives. Final transaction prices of 17-19K in Colorado would be appealing in an AWD package - the torque is useful on the mountains and 145 hp should net it 7.5 secs to 60 which is good for a commuter.

This is not coming to stateside yet. It will sell well in EU / Japan where a 135 mile EPA or 180 mile range as per EU standards is appealing. The cargo hatch is pretty bad - it slants so much. Most importantly what will be the charging speed? 30 mins to 80% should be bare minimum.
US might see the PHEV version with rotary range extender. It is a great city car with something different and might sell in CARB states with added state incentives. Final transaction prices of 17-19K in Colorado would be appealing in an AWD package - the torque is useful on the mountains and 145 hp should net it 7.5 secs to 60 which is good for a commuter.

You are probably right, as it is not competitive here. There is no AWD EV for 17-19K after incentives. Go ahead and double that figure, at least.

Jesus Mazda, why so much cladding?

This flat out looks ugly. Not just the cladding, but it just reminds me of a lot of the ugly Toyotas and Fords and Hondas, and whatever else we s*** on.

EDIT:

Yeah, exactly.

Last edited:
I will buy a PEV when the range "on paper" breaks 600mi, it's available in AWD CUV form, and it's from a good company with quality track record (not a Tesla). Not before.

I was kinda hoping Mazda's first EV / PHEV / Range extender vehicle would be more "normal" than going somewhat quirky EV. A dedicated platform is a nice touch though.

I'm sure it will be a great city car but I need real back seat / real back doors and a normal-ish trunk. That CX-30 test mule would have appealed to me more even with the plastic trim. If I were in the market I'd be looking at the incoming Escape PHEV over this.

We love our Pacifica PHEV. I'm excited to see how the market grows with more and more options over the next few years. In 5-ish years I'd be all over a BEV or PHEV with a 100km range and range extender - if we ever get there. The Honda Clarity was close to getting me, but I just couldn't do that styling.

Back