Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear “fog light” - bumper reflector lights installation.

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 GT Silver / 2003 MX-5 SE JRSC

I ordered these from Amazon last night. I couldn't resist

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

KE-KE 3D Optic Red Lens Full LED Bumper Reflector Lights Tail Brake Rear Fog lights and Sequential Turn Signal Lamps for 2017 2018 2019 Mazda cx-5 cx5 accessories
    2018 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring ...adding bling, Front and rear sequential turn signals
    2003 Mazda MX-5 SE Supercharged JRSC MP62 (SOLD) but not forgotten

Registered Member

The wires change colors at the connector from the car harness to the rear OEM Light harness. Attached pictures are top connector first going to the rear lamp. Last picture are the wires coming from the bottom connector going to the wiring harness. I connected the new lights to the bottom harness wire, you just need to be sure which pink wire to use. You will see the second Pink wire has no corresponding wire on the other side of the connector.

Light to Lower Harness
    Red to Red
    Black to Black
    Yellow to Blue
    Green to Pink

Upper connector 1.jpg
    Upperconector 2.jpg
    Lower connector wires.JPG
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by St1ngy View Post
    I'm considering doing this but I'm concerned in replacing the OEM passive reflectors with a light fixture. The purpose of those reflectors is to make a parked or un-illuminated vehicle more visible to another vehicle approaching from the rear (or rear-quarters). Do those nice LED fixtures also have embedded reflectors? What about side quarters?

I know they have the words "Reflector Lights" in the product title, but I can't see any metallic multi-faceted reflector characteristics in the photos. The non-illuminated part looks to me like its just translucent red plastic. The lighter strips are un-masked areas that the LED's illuminate through. Not much reflectivity. See the photos CharlestonMX5 posted below.
    No, these are not reflective. Just red lenses with integrated lights. Normally I am in agreement, however, I don’t expect that small reflectors imbedded in the bumper skirt just a foot or so off the ground will increase any awareness of my cx-5 from a driver following me. The additional illumination from a light fixture would be more likely to raise a flag. That’s just my opinion (not sure it’s worth $0.02).

The lights stand out really well and give additional “pop”.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Rear “fog light” - bumper reflector lights installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Candurin View Post
    No, these are not reflective. Just red lenses with integrated lights. Normally I am in agreement, however, I don’t expect that small reflectors imbedded in the bumper skirt just a foot or so off the ground will increase any awareness of my cx-5 from a driver following me. The additional illumination from a light fixture would be more likely to raise a flag. That’s just my opinion (not sure it’s worth $0.02).
    The rear red reflectors are required by US law which will increase the visibility and safety from rear when you park your vehicle on the street in the dark. I doubt any annual state inspection would bother to check these though.

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    The rear red reflectors are required by US law which will increase the visibility and safety from rear when you park your vehicle on the street in the dark. I doubt any annual state inspection would bother to check these though.
    Yes, that's what I was getting at in my original question. Odds of a state safety inspection failure is low, we don't even have safety inspections in many states. But an accident investigator might find you (partially) at fault. I don't mess with mandatory safety equipment.
    Last edited by St1ngy; 11-20-2019 at 11:09 AM.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 GTR

Quote Originally Posted by CharlestonMX5 View Post
    I ordered these from Amazon last night. I couldn't resist
    How did you tie wiring into existing? Positaps?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by RickD2 View Post
    How did you tie wiring into existing? Positaps?
    I used T-taps, but I took them out and just returned them. I was not impressed too much. Certainly not as nice as the front sequential turn signals. Also, the lack of reflectors; this is a DOT regulation. Imagine your car broke down on the highway at night, there would be no reflectors on the back for cars to see approaching your vehicle. Could not justify in my personal opinion.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12