Left Doors Unlocked

Mine is the opposite. If the engine is running and I leave the vehicle with the fob in my pocket and shut the door I get the rapid beeps. I avoid the beeping by leaving the door just slightly ajar.

The best thing to do anytime you leave the car is to turn the engine off. The last claim I heard was that idling for 10 seconds uses more gas than restarting [doesn't take into account wear on starter., etc.]. But you've got to remember to turn it off. You're right, it's so quiet and smooth, sometimes it's really hard to tell.

I was doing some work with Habitat a few weeks ago. I pulled up my truck to unload a miter saw & stand and left it idle because I thought I was going to have to move it out of the way and park where everyone else was. There were a gas generator and a gas air compressor running all day, so you couldn't hardly hear each other talk, much less a vehicle running. I got to work and left my truck sit right where it was...still idling. Folks walked past it all day long getting stuff out of their vehicles and never noticed.

Six hours and a bunch of gas later, I got in and drove home. (bang) At least it was already warmed up.

Most of the time I*ve found the door didn*t lock because I didn*t shut my front door firmly enough. A little more pressure on the second try and all was well.

I was doing some work with Habitat a few weeks ago. I pulled up my truck to unload a miter saw & stand and left it idle because I thought I was going to have to move it out of the way and park where everyone else was. There were a gas generator and a gas air compressor running all day, so you couldn't hardly hear each other talk, much less a vehicle running. I got to work and left my truck sit right where it was...still idling. Folks walked past it all day long getting stuff out of their vehicles and never noticed.

Six hours and a bunch of gas later, I got in and drove home. (bang) At least it was already warmed up.
Thank you for your volunteer work.

One time when I had a friend in the car I got out to do something some distance from the car briefly, closed the door and left the car running so he'd have AC. I had the key in my pocket. After about five minutes an alarm started sounding. It stopped after I got back in the car with key in pocket.

One time when I had a friend in the car I got out to do something some distance from the car briefly, closed the door and left the car running so he'd have AC. I had the key in my pocket. After about five minutes an alarm started sounding. It stopped after I got back in the car with key in pocket.

That would be a useful feature in the states. Winter is approaching, which means we'll start hearing of people's cars being stolen while warming up in their driveways. It boggles my mind that there are still people that think you can't drive off with a car you push button started. Just because you took the fob with you.

That would be a useful feature in the states. Winter is approaching, which means we'll start hearing of people's cars being stolen while warming up in their driveways. It boggles my mind that there are still people that think you can't drive off with a car you push button started. Just because you took the fob with you.

If you want to let your car idle you can get out and then use the physical key inside the fob to manually lock the door.

Does this mean you cannot lock the vehicle while it's idling by using the key fob? I keep trying to secure it when it's warming up in the morning, but all it does is beep at me and leave the doors unlocked.

I just tried this on my 2019. I started the car and grabbed the keys. It beeped to let me know that I had the key outside the car. Then I was able to lock the door with the fob and walk away.

Is this not normal?

The only caveat is that I have a fortin remote starter installed but didn*t remote start the car.

I guess you could train yourself to always look at the mirrors to make sure they are folded.

Do I understand the system correctly? They always fold in on the lock signal being rec'd?

Not on all trim levels, but, yes. If they have folding mirrors they will fold when the lock button is pressed.

There is so much with this "keyless" technology that disrupts my long-entrenched rhythm. I've almost walked away and left the darn thing running 2-3 times in the past 6 months, and actually did it in the Walmart parking lot last week. I came back from shopping and my car was running!!! I don't have a key to turn and pull out of the ignition, and I've yet to develop a replacement habit. That's only happened once, thank goodness. I guess it's a testament to how quiet the engines are.

Same goes for locking it myself...the key/fob is not already in my hand to push because it never leaves my pocket. Part of this is my being retired, so I'm not in a routine and I'm not in the car to & from work every day to form those habits...in fact, I don't drive every day.

I still have my truck. Sometimes I must look like a spaz when I get ready to exit my CX-5 because I reach for a column shift that is not there to put it in Park and my left foot automatically goes to apply the imaginary parking brake. It was the same way when I had my manual transmission Volvo & I would switch between it and my truck. I KNOW my truck doesn't have a clutch, but there goes that left foot when I pull to a stop. At least I stopped reaching for radio buttons that aren't there in my CX-5. This keyless thing is a whole different variation.

When I had my old car one time I was at Walmart, and I went to where I parked, hit my fob and opened the door and got in. Then I noticed all the crap on the dash board and for a second or two was thinking "Who put this stuff in here! How did they get in?" Then I realized it wasn't my car! I exited fast to not get caught, and saw my car five spots down lol. What were the odds of an identical car near mine and unlocked. I always lock mine, I hit my fob to unlock the already unlocked car and assumed I unlocked my car. lol. I still laugh to myself thinking about it. The owner never knew a stranger went in his car :)

When I had my old car one time I was at Walmart, and I went to where I parked, hit my fob and opened the door and got in. Then I noticed all the crap on the dash board and for a second or two was thinking "Who put this stuff in here! How did they get in?" Then I realized it wasn't my car! I exited fast to not get caught, and saw my car five spots down lol. What were the odds of an identical car near mine and unlocked. I always lock mine, I hit my fob to unlock the already unlocked car and assumed I unlocked my car. lol. I still laugh to myself thinking about it. The owner never knew a stranger went in his car :)

My wife mistook a new CR-V for our CX-9 yesterday. (doh)

My ex worked with a woman who got busted that way when fooling around on her husband.

She was at a hotel with her long-distance boyfriend who was in town for business. He had driven her there, and she needed to get to work. He gave her the keys to the rental car she had only been in briefly, and she drove away in it...or so she thought.

Next thing you know the cops showed up at her office. Seems she drove away in someone else's car.

Oops.

I remember reading about a case that occurred about 30 years ago, prior to keyless entries. A guy got into what he thought was his brand new Toyota pickup and drove several blocks before he realized some personal items in the car weren't his. He returned to the parking lot, found his car, and made good his exit. It turns out that Toyota only made about a dozen key patterns and just coincidentally there was another identical new Toyota pickup a few spaces away that took the same key.

Yeh, my story happened about 40 years ago. I forget what model car was involved.

I remember reading about a case that occurred about 30 years ago, prior to keyless entries. A guy got into what he thought was his brand new Toyota pickup and drove several blocks before he realized some personal items in the car weren't his. He returned to the parking lot, found his car, and made good his exit. It turns out that Toyota only made about a dozen key patterns and just coincidentally there was another identical new Toyota pickup a few spaces away that took the same key.

Back in high school my friend & his father both had late 60's era Pontiac's. They could do the same thing swapping keys between their 2 different model Pontiac's.

Back