Left Doors Unlocked

Really???

I just tried reading the manual to see if mention was made of it, but the section on keys & door locks is a mind-numbing 26 pages full of options and variations on a beep-theme.

So what if I get out of the car without opening the hatch from within, close the driver's door, then open the hatch from the hatch and not from the inside button? Do you know if the car will lock after I close the hatch under that scenario?

Sometimes it's a lot easier to just try it, ya know!

I wear skinny pants because well I'm a skinny dude lol. The drawback is when I have the keys in my pants and I'm wiping my wheels...I've remote started my car once :)

Nope, it won't.

That's quite odd. On my CX-9, I've turned off the car, opened the door and closed it (beeps once), then headed to the rear to open the liftgate. Unloaded all my groceries into the house (going in and out of range, for minutes at a time), and when I close the liftgate (and the fob is still in range), the auto-lock still primes. I wonder why it's different on the CX-9.

Seminole you are absolutely right. I just tried shutting the door standing as far away as I could and sure enough...didn't lock. Thanks much.

One thing I'm not clear on and didn't find in the manual. My key has an "off" button in addition to "lock", "unlock" and "lift gate". Does that turn off the walk away locking feature?

Last edited:
If you have would take the time from posting and read the manual on locks and keys you would find that it all depends on what groceries you are unloading prior to the hatch closing. It is on one of the pages between 1-26 toward the bottom just above the last sentence. I read it the other night when I was trying to fall asleep. If I have another restless night after reading the Forum, I will try and locate the actual page. Are the groceries you are removing before closing the hatch organic? Process of elimination will set you free to close the doors with your FOB. Do not give up hope.

THERE IS A BUTTON ABOVE THE REAR LICENSE PLATE TO OPEN THE HATCH AND THERE IS A "SECRET" BUTTON TO THE RIGHT OF YOUR LICENSE PLATE ON THE HATCH THAT WILL LOCK ALL THE DOORS. WATCH THE VIDEO!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSouMjvjrX0

Great video!

That's quite odd. On my CX-9, I've turned off the car, opened the door and closed it (beeps once), then headed to the rear to open the liftgate. Unloaded all my groceries into the house (going in and out of range, for minutes at a time), and when I close the liftgate (and the fob is still in range), the auto-lock still primes. I wonder why it's different on the CX-9.

The difference is not with the models, it's with my process.

I open the hatch using the dash button. Then I get out, shut the driver's door, remove my stuff from the already-opened hatch, then close it.

Had I followed your process, my CX-5 would have behaved just as your CX-9 does.

The difference is not with the models, it's with my process.

I open the hatch using the dash button. Then I get out, shut the driver's door, remove my stuff from the already-opened hatch, then close it.

Had I followed your process, my CX-5 would have behaved just as your CX-9 does.

Do you mean to say that opening the hatch using the dash button changes the way the auto-lock works? I just went out and tested your process, and auto-lock still works.

I apologize if I'm misunderstanding something.

If you have would take the time from posting and read the manual on locks and keys you would find that it all depends on what groceries you are unloading prior to the hatch closing. It is on one of the pages between 1-26 toward the bottom just above the last sentence. I read it the other night when I was trying to fall asleep. If I have another restless night after reading the Forum, I will try and locate the actual page. Are the groceries you are removing before closing the hatch organic? Process of elimination will set you free to close the doors with your FOB. Do not give up hope.

THERE IS A BUTTON ABOVE THE REAR LICENSE PLATE TO OPEN THE HATCH AND THERE IS A "SECRET" BUTTON TO THE RIGHT OF YOUR LICENSE PLATE ON THE HATCH THAT WILL LOCK ALL THE DOORS. WATCH THE VIDEO!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSouMjvjrX0

Great video!

"A passenger closing their door after I'm (and the key in my pocket) out of range is probably the scenario I've encountere"

+1 this happens to me once in awhile, if I walk out of range (maybe like 5 feet from car) and a passenger closes the door after I'm out of range, the doors won't lock automatically.

Do you mean to say that opening the hatch using the dash button changes the way the auto-lock works? I just went out and tested your process, and auto-lock still works.

I apologize if I'm misunderstanding something.

I just went out and played with it.

You are right. It works fine.

The issue must be that after unloading groceries, I hit the button to close the hatch and walk to the house (out of range) as it is closing. If I hang within range as the hatch closes, the car locks when I then walk away.

Thanks for prodding me to go out & test it.

I just went out and played with it.

You are right. It works fine.

The issue must be that after unloading groceries, I hit the button to close the hatch and walk to the house (out of range) as it is closing. If I hang within range as the hatch closes, the car locks when I then walk away.

Thanks for prodding me to go out & test it.

No worries, thanks for satisfying my curiosity, haha

I never knew about the walk away feature and glad it was disabled by default on my 2019 Reserve, because I would have disabled in on my own. I much prefer to be in charge of my own locking instead of having some not-so-smart automatic system fail to lock the car because some if-then leg of the logic tree wasn*t met without me knowing. It takes almost zero time to push the door button, and with the mirror folding, I can see whether it*s locked or not. In my 40+ years of driving, I*ve rarely failed to lock my doors, and I bet my success rate is higher than Mazda*s automatic system.

I never knew about the walk away feature and glad it was disabled by default on my 2019 Reserve, because I would have disabled in on my own. I much prefer to be in charge of my own locking instead of having some not-so-smart automatic system fail to lock the car because some if-then leg of the logic tree wasn*t met without me knowing. It takes almost zero time to push the door button, and with the mirror folding, I can see whether it*s locked or not. In my 40+ years of driving, I*ve rarely failed to lock my doors, and I bet my success rate is higher than Mazda*s automatic system.

There is so much with this "keyless" technology that disrupts my long-entrenched rhythm. I've almost walked away and left the darn thing running 2-3 times in the past 6 months, and actually did it in the Walmart parking lot last week. I came back from shopping and my car was running!!! I don't have a key to turn and pull out of the ignition, and I've yet to develop a replacement habit. That's only happened once, thank goodness. I guess it's a testament to how quiet the engines are.

Same goes for locking it myself...the key/fob is not already in my hand to push because it never leaves my pocket. Part of this is my being retired, so I'm not in a routine and I'm not in the car to & from work every day to form those habits...in fact, I don't drive every day.

I still have my truck. Sometimes I must look like a spaz when I get ready to exit my CX-5 because I reach for a column shift that is not there to put it in Park and my left foot automatically goes to apply the imaginary parking brake. It was the same way when I had my manual transmission Volvo & I would switch between it and my truck. I KNOW my truck doesn't have a clutch, but there goes that left foot when I pull to a stop. At least I stopped reaching for radio buttons that aren't there in my CX-5. This keyless thing is a whole different variation.

There is so much with this "keyless" technology that disrupts my long-entrenched rhythm. I've almost walked away and left the darn thing running 2-3 times in the past 6 months, and actually did it in the Walmart parking lot last week. I came back from shopping and my car was running!!! I don't have a key to turn and pull out of the ignition, and I've yet to develop a replacement habit. That's only happened once, thank goodness. I guess it's a testament to how quiet the engines are.

Same goes for locking it myself...the key/fob is not already in my hand to push because it never leaves my pocket. Part of this is my being retired, so I'm not in a routine and I'm not in the car to & from work every day to form those habits...in fact, I don't drive every day.

I still have my truck. Sometimes I must look like a spaz when I get ready to exit my CX-5 because I reach for a column shift that is not there to put it in Park and my left foot automatically goes to apply the imaginary parking brake. It was the same way when I had my manual transmission Volvo & I would switch between it and my truck. I KNOW my truck doesn't have a clutch, but there goes that left foot when I pull to a stop. At least I stopped reaching for radio buttons that aren't there in my CX-5. This keyless thing is a whole different variation.

You should get a fast loud beep beep beep .... if you exit the car with it still running. That's the signal that the fob is no longer in the car and the car is still running.
Try it a couple times so you get used to the beep. Start the car then exit and walk away.

You should get a fast loud beep beep beep .... if you exit the car with it still running. That's the signal that the fob is no longer in the car and the car is still running.
Try it a couple times so you get used to the beep. Start the car then exit and walk away.

I wondered about that. I got no beeps. When I returned to the car and hit the door lock button to get back in I got the rapid beeps.

If I recall correctly, I get those beeps if it's running, the door is left open, and I walk away.

I'll have to play with it.

I wondered about that. I got no beeps. When I returned to the car and hit the door lock button to get back in I got the rapid beeps.

If I recall correctly, I get those beeps if it's running, the door is left open, and I walk away.

I'll have to play with it.

You get the rapid beeps if there is a fob in the vehicle and you try and lock it. Which would explain why you didn't get any when you walked away.

You get the rapid beeps if there is a fob in the vehicle and you try and lock it. Which would explain why you didn't get any when you walked away.

No, the fob stays in my pants pocket. I never take it out. I won't even put it in my jacket pocket just in case I take off my jacket while driving & leave it in the car.

I need to play with the different scenarios in my driveway and figure out why nothing happens when I walk away, or if I just didn't hear it/am mis-remembering.

Mine is the opposite. If the engine is running and I leave the vehicle with the fob in my pocket and shut the door I get the rapid beeps. I avoid the beeping by leaving the door just slightly ajar.

The best thing to do anytime you leave the car is to turn the engine off. The last claim I heard was that idling for 10 seconds uses more gas than restarting [doesn't take into account wear on starter., etc.]. But you've got to remember to turn it off. You're right, it's so quiet and smooth, sometimes it's really hard to tell.

Back