Thread: Quick question about the CX5

Registered Member

Quick question about the CX5

Hello I am looking to get a SUV I looked at the CRV and the Rav4 but they both have issues that I don't really want to deal with for the price of the vehicles. How is the 2019 CX5 from reading on the forums I really can't see anything major is that true?

Registered Member

Mazda3

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Arnold View Post
    Hello I am looking to get a SUV I looked at the CRV and the Rav4 but they both have issues that I don't really want to deal with for the price of the vehicles. How is the 2019 CX5 from reading on the forums I really can't see anything major is that true?

Cylinder deactivation is a problem in the non-turbo models.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...5-and-6-models
    Last edited by Paulson; 10-20-2019 at 01:52 AM.

2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD

Solid reliability per Consumer Reports reader reliability survey:

Better than the CR-V, comparable to the Rav4 but the CX is better looking than the Rav, has more features standard, and is a much better value below 30k.

2014 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg

Quote Originally Posted by Paulson View Post
    Cylinder deactivation is a problem in the non-turbo models.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...5-and-6-models
    Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    It's a potential problem, you're not guaranteed to experience it. There is a recall available, and the powertrain warranty will cover any issues with the engine on the off chance that you experience them post-recall.
    sm1ke is correct. If we thought that there were any major issues with the CX-5, our family wouldn't have 4 of them. Hard to find a better value, fun to drive, well made SUV in the segment.
    All In The Family
    2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT w/PP
    2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD Touring w/PP
    2016 Mazda3 Touring -
    RETIRED (replaced w/2019 CX-5 Touring)
    2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
    2014 BMW E84 xDrive28i - RETIRED (replaced w/2019 CX-5 GT)
    2013 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
    2013 Mazda MZD3i FWD GT w/Tech Pkg
    2009 BMW E90 328xi - RETIRED (replaced w/2014 E84)

2007 BMW E92 328i - RETIRED (replaced w/2014 CX-5)

Donated: $15

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

Peak reliability and value is 2017 CX5 (ones made in later part of its cycle). If you are going to keep it for 50-100K miles 2019 should be good. If you have dreams of doing 300k miles in this - look at Rav4 Hybrid and be happy.

Official Defender of Zamdatm

2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Kaps View Post
    Peak reliability and value is 2017 CX5 (ones made in later part of its cycle). If you are going to keep it for 50-100K miles 2019 should be good. If you have dreams of doing 300k miles in this - look at Rav4 Hybrid and be happy.
    Can you back up any of these claims? Especially the last one.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate View Post
    Can you back up any of these claims? Especially the last one.
    He's basing his claims on the N/A, non-CD engine being more reliable due to fewer parts that can fail and less complicated engine tech. Regarding the last statement, Toyota is well known for building some bullet-proof engines, and their hybrid tech has been proven to be quite reliable (almost every taxi I see around here is an 03-09 Prius).

He isn't wrong. IMO technology in general is improving pretty quickly, so it's not likely that I'll be holding on to my CX-9 forever. I just need it to last for the next 10 or so years, or 240k kms. I know that the turbo will eventually fail, but I'll enjoy the fun that comes with it until it does. To me, that's worth it. 300k is nice, no doubt, but it would be a boring and forgettable 300k.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD

Some interesting points. I don't see why a 19 can't be reliable for more than 100,000 miles. And these hold their value so well I can't imagine buying used. Note the issues BrentJustice had with his $28K Carmax 2018. It's worth noting the FWD Prius is simpler than the Rav4 hybrid. I'm just turned off from hybrids because if you do need to repair the inverter or battery, they can be very, very expensive indeed. Seen them myself.

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate View Post
    Some interesting points. I don't see why a 19 can't be reliable for more than 100,000 miles. And these hold their value so well I can't imagine buying used. Note the issues BrentJustice had with his $28K Carmax 2018. It's worth noting the FWD Prius is simpler than the Rav4 hybrid. I'm just turned off from hybrids because if you do need to repair the inverter or battery, they can be very, very expensive indeed. Seen them myself.
    Toyota is upping the warranty on those components to 10 years/150k miles.

Registered Member

2018 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Prem

I consider this to be an "issue". Take your time on the test drive and see if it matters to you.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ion-Jerk-Lurch

Note that there are multiple (but related) issues in the thread but they all have to do with the performance characteristics of the transmission.