Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Acceleration Times 227HP Vs 250Hp

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2016 Mazda6 iGT, 2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback

0-60 time depends mainly on hp/weight. The bigger the faster.
    Higher torque gives you better passing power instantly...

Case in point.
    Just look at the old Honda S2000. Small torque but big hp from high rev.

23hp is almost 10% diff in hp. So, 0.4 to 0.6sec diff is possible between 87 vs. 91 octane.
    2016 Mazda6 iGT + Tech Pkg
    ....Sonic Silver Mica / Parchment
    2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback
    ....Soul Red Metallic / Almond

Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

Quote Originally Posted by CX_FIVER View Post
    According to Motor Trend, the Turbo with premium 6.4 sec 0-60 mph and the non turbo 8.2 0-60. I cannot find 0-60 turbo with regular. However, I do believe that 0-60 in turbo with regular or premium would be the same since torque gives you the acceleration and the torque is 310lbs regardless which gas you use. Premium is faster for passing at higher speeds and higher top speed. The octane only changes the horsepower.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
    I don't think that statement is true until the hp/tq curves cross.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

According to Motor Trend, the Turbo with premium 6.4 sec 0-60 mph and the non turbo 8.2 0-60. I cannot find 0-60 turbo with regular. However, I do believe that 0-60 in turbo with regular or premium would be the same since torque gives you the acceleration and the torque is 310lbs regardless which gas you use. Premium is faster for passing at higher speeds and higher top speed. The octane only changes the horsepower.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    I don't think that statement is true until the hp/tq curves cross.
    The thing to remember is that horsepower is just torque multiplied by RPMs divided by 5252, which is why the curves always cross at 5252 rpm. The octane changes the torque, which changes the hp based on speed of the engine.

So on the way to 60 or the quarter or whatever, the car runs thru several gears. It'll have a little more torque [and therefore power] above 4k with premium in the 2.5T. But it will only be operating in that range for short periods of time. So the ETs should be close, with the engine running premium winning, of course, but not by much.

Premium produces more power at higher engine speeds, which usually, but not always, correspond to higher road speeds.

I wish one of you lucky turbo guys would go out and time it!

Registered Member

'14 Mazda CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    I wish one of you lucky turbo guys would go out and time it!
    I second that! Somebody do some controlled runs on a clean tank of 87 and a clean tank of 93.

2013 VRM Mazdaspeed3, 2016 Soul Red CX-5 GT

To see the difference between 227 hp and 250 hp, you need to go past 60 mph. It is at the higher speeds that horsepower makes more of a difference. That said, in a family CUV like the CX-5, it probably does not even make sense to compare acceleration times above 60 mph. It is still after all a family CUV.

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 GTR

Totally informal testing, but yes, I have run a number of tankfuls with 93 and 87. "Seat of my pants" tells me there is some definite responsiveness advantage with 93. It feels and sounds like its working harder with 87. Of course, it all could be mental on my part. In the end, any difference is negligible in daily driving, so I've decided that 87 will be my choice going forward.

We use regular. Does anyone use premium? Has anyone tried both and can feel a difference?

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX 5 GT Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by pcardoza View Post
    Totally informal testing, but yes, I have run a number of tankfuls with 93 and 87. "Seat of my pants" tells me there is some definite responsiveness advantage with 93. It feels and sounds like its working harder with 87. Of course, it all could be mental on my part. In the end, any difference is negligible in daily driving, so I've decided that 87 will be my choice going forward.
    Yeah I vote +1 for seat of the pants with premium, I am on my first full tank, not sure it makes much difference "technically" but I am interested to see if there is much difference as far as MPGs go.... I'll run out this tank then go to 87 a see. I can definately say you can feel it at highway speeds when you pull out to pass... instant smile....

Registered Member

SUV

Quote Originally Posted by pcardoza View Post
    You were rarely (if ever) evaluating true 87 or 93 octane, but rather a mixture of the two.

Say you switch from 87 to 93 octane, and typically pump 11 gallons every time you fill-up...
    It would take SIX fill-ups before you tank contained nothing but 93 octane fuel.

All of the previous fill-ups would be an octane level somewhere between 87 and 93.

2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    You were rarely (if ever) evaluating true 87 or 93 octane, but rather a mixture of the two.

Say you switch from 87 to 93 octane, and typically pump 11 gallons every time you fill-up...
    It would take SIX fill-ups before you tank contained nothing but 93 octane fuel.

All of the previous fill-ups would be an octane level somewhere between 87 and 93.
    Once you've put that dirty old 87 in there, you'll never get back to pure hi test. It'll just keep getting more and more diluted, but not be totally gone.

But I agree, by 6 fill ups, you'll be close enough for government work.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

Once you've put that dirty old 87 in there, you'll never get back to pure hi test. ...
    Dirty 87?

Also, every CX-5 turbo will be delivered to the customer with 87. Dealers will never put in anything higher.

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature; 2019 Mazda MX-5 30 AE, RF, #150/3000

Quote Originally Posted by Sig cx-5 View Post
    Dirty 87?

Also, every CX-5 turbo will be delivered to the customer with 87. Dealers will never put in anything higher.
    Not every turbo ... while I was awaiting paperwork, my sales person rode with me to a nearby station where the vehicle was filled with 93 octane on the dealer's dime.
    2019 Soul Red Crystal Metallic CX-5 Signature
    2019 Racing Orange MX-5 Miata RF/MT 30th Anniversary Edition (9th Miata)
    29 Mazdas since 1974

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Turborascal View Post
    Not every turbo ... while I was awaiting paperwork, my sales person rode with me to a nearby station where the vehicle was filled with 93 octane on the dealer's dime.
    It was driven to the gas station on 87, though. The dealer used 93 as an act of good faith, which is nice.

I live in an area that is represented by almost every auto manufacture. I have yet to see any dealer's BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc get filled up with anything but 87.

Registered Member

SUV

Once you've put that dirty old 87 in there, you'll never get back to pure hi test. It'll just keep getting more and more diluted, but not be totally gone.

But I agree, by 6 fill ups, you'll be close enough for government work.
    After 6 fill-ups, the octane level would be 92.997

2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

Quote Originally Posted by Sig cx-5 View Post
    Dirty 87?

Sarcasm is often hard for some people to recognize.

2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    After 6 fill-ups, the octane level would be 92.997
    I haven't done the calc, but I'm agreeing with you in principle. But while the limit approaches zero, it never quite gets there. Not that it matters in any practical sense.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast