Acceleration Times 227HP Vs 250Hp

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
There must be figures on this. Anybody know the 0-60 times relating to octane rating? Can't get highest rated US fuel here, limited to the lower octane rating

According to Motor Trend, the Turbo with premium 6.4 sec 0-60 mph and the non turbo 8.2 0-60. I cannot find 0-60 turbo with regular. However, I do believe that 0-60 in turbo with regular or premium would be the same since torque gives you the acceleration and the torque is 310lbs regardless which gas you use. Premium is faster for passing at higher speeds and higher top speed. The octane only changes the horsepower.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

According to Motor Trend, the Turbo with premium 6.4 sec 0-60 mph and the non turbo 8.2 0-60. I cannot find 0-60 turbo with regular. However, I do believe that 0-60 in turbo with regular or premium would be the same since torque gives you the acceleration and the torque is 310lbs regardless which gas you use. Premium is faster for passing at higher speeds and higher top speed. The octane only changes the horsepower.

"SkyactivD is also the slowest engine available in a CX-5, requiring 9.0 seconds to hit 60 mph when the base 2.5 does it in 8.3 and the turbo gasser (running transmission and axle gearing identical to the diesel's and weighing 200 pounds less) needs just 6.4.

Diesel torque: 290lb ft
2.5 NA 186 lb ft
2.5 T 310 lb ft

That is also what I've read online. That even though higher octane gives you more horsepower in these engines, the torque stays the same so acceleration will also stay the same.

Diesel torque: 290lb ft
2.5 NA 186 lb ft
2.5 T 310 lb ft

I believe Chocolate is illustrating the error in assuming that torque is constant across the entire RPM range. HP is a more accurate indicator of a vehicle's acceleration potential, not torque. HP is a measure of torque at a given RPM. Weight, gearing, traction and drag coefficient being equal, the higher HP car will always produce faster acceleration runs, regardless of torque ratings.

I'll attach the dyno chart as soon as I can find it, but I believe the difference in octanes is seen above 4k RPM. So acceleration between the two octanes is identical up to that point, with the 2.5T burning 93 octane pulling harder than the 87 octane 2.5T from 4k to redline. Therefor, during WOT acceleration runs the 93 octane car will post faster 0-60 & 1/4mi times. Although, the question still remains, how big is the difference. Just speculating, I'd say it's less than 1/2 second.

TC.png

According to Car & Driver the 2.5T equipped CX-5's shift at 5,300 RPM's. So the benefit of higher octane fuel is experienced from roughly 4k - 5.3k, which is a good portion of the RPM range during an acceleration run.

You're right, those are peak values, but the acceleration numbers are what they are.

Just to confirm, you were saying that torque peak is not a good indicator of acceleration, right? I was supporting your argument. As for the acceleration numbers, we still don't have an 87 vs 93 octane comparison for the 2.5T.

But I think to answer the OP's question, the difference in 0-60 times for 87 octane and 93 octane is negligible (like 0.1-0.2) seconds.

But I think to answer the OP's question, the difference in 0-60 times for 87 octane and 93 octane is negligible (like 0.1-0.2) seconds.

I do know on C&D's test sheet, they show 0-60 in 6.2, and the fuel used was "Regular" while Motortrend got 6.4*

*Premium Fuel Used

on their test sheet.

SO....error? DUnno.

0.2 tenths is actually a pretty damn good bit in a drag race.

The extra 23 hp the premium gets should be good for about .2 tenths in the 1/4 mile, but I don't know if it is in the CX-5.

Hope Mazda has something up their sleeve for the 2021 CX-5. Looks like Toyota plans on unveiling the 2021 RAV4 PHEV at the LA Auto show next month. They say it will be the most powerful RAV4 yet. Toyota had a V6 RAV4 a few years ago that went 0-60 in the low 6s, so if this can beat that and get excellent fuel economy, it's going to sell in huge numbers. They also updated the styling a bit and new wheels look significantly better:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a29416459/toyota-rav4-plug-in-hybrid-teaser/

Hope Mazda has something up their sleeve for the 2021 CX-5. Looks like Toyota plans on unveiling the 2021 RAV4 PHEV at the LA Auto show next month. They say it will be the most powerful RAV4 yet. Toyota had a V6 RAV4 a few years ago that went 0-60 in the low 6s, so if this can beat that and get excellent fuel economy, it's going to sell in huge numbers. They also updated the styling a bit and new wheels look significantly better:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a29416459/toyota-rav4-plug-in-hybrid-teaser/

Still ugly.

0-60 time depends mainly on hp/weight. The bigger the faster.
Higher torque gives you better passing power instantly...

Case in point.
Just look at the old Honda S2000. Small torque but big hp from high rev.

23hp is almost 10% diff in hp. So, 0.4 to 0.6sec diff is possible between 87 vs. 91 octane.

I don't think that statement is true until the hp/tq curves cross.

I don't think that statement is true until the hp/tq curves cross.

The thing to remember is that horsepower is just torque multiplied by RPMs divided by 5252, which is why the curves always cross at 5252 rpm. The octane changes the torque, which changes the hp based on speed of the engine.

So on the way to 60 or the quarter or whatever, the car runs thru several gears. It'll have a little more torque [and therefore power] above 4k with premium in the 2.5T. But it will only be operating in that range for short periods of time. So the ETs should be close, with the engine running premium winning, of course, but not by much.

Premium produces more power at higher engine speeds, which usually, but not always, correspond to higher road speeds.

I wish one of you lucky turbo guys would go out and time it!

To see the difference between 227 hp and 250 hp, you need to go past 60 mph. It is at the higher speeds that horsepower makes more of a difference. That said, in a family CUV like the CX-5, it probably does not even make sense to compare acceleration times above 60 mph. It is still after all a family CUV.

Back