Acceleration Times 227HP Vs 250Hp

I don't know about 30 cent intervals. There's a much bigger price difference around here.

Kfp86fn.jpg

That's exactly what I'm saying. As I stated originally, mine is a "seat of the pants" comparison. My perception is that there is a RESPONSIVENESS advantage that 93 offers. HOWEVER that difference doesn't come close to outweighing the cost premium of 93. I'm permanently on 87 going forward.

Are you saying you ran 10 consecutive tankfuls of 93, then switched to running 10 tankfuls of 87?

If so, then your last ~4 tankfuls of each are representative of true 93 and 87 octane.
You would have to disregard the first 6 tankfuls of each, as they were just a mixture of the two octane levels.

If you switched between 87 and 93 at all during those 20 tankfuls, then you were never truly evaluating 87 or 93 octane, as I stated.

I don't know about 30 cent intervals. There's a much bigger price difference around here.

Kfp86fn.jpg

There was a $.30 difference in 87 and 93 yesterday evening and this morning here at the cheaper gas stations. Sams Club, Wal-Mart, etc, however the average is $.50, at stations like Exxon etc.

Gas is also $2.09-$2.29 a gallon here this morning for 87. Not bad, not bad, but still slightly above the $2 price ceiling I think gas should have anyways.

There was a $.30 difference in 87 and 93 yesterday evening and this morning here at the cheaper gas stations. Sams Club, Wal-Mart, etc, however the average is $.50, at stations like Exxon etc.

What part of the country do you live in?

I haven't seen a $0.30 difference between 87 and 93 in probably a decade.

I just wish we had 93, but at my elevation, 91 is as high as it gets unless you want to go to the race pumps, where you can get 93, 98 octane, etc.

What kind of MPGs are you seeing the .9 spread between?

I just added a Weighted Average MPG calculation to the figures to get a little more accuracy.

Per the computer, there's a 0.9 MPG spread between octanes:
93=23.7 MPG
87=22.8 MPG

Again, my calculations indicate that the computer understates mileage in my car by 0.486 MPG. But I trust it's relative consistency more than my calculations for only 3 tanks of 87 octane (too much potential variance in not-completely-full tanks and not enough tanks for it to average out). The Computer Mileage for those 3 tanks of 87 were: 22.8/22.9/22.8

I just wish we had 93, but at my elevation, 91 is as high as it gets unless you want to go to the race pumps, where you can get 93, 98 octane, etc.

I can get 110 octane here at the pump at select stations. Haven't priced it in awhile, Ill swing by there and see. Same stations normally have like 95 or 98 as well.

Southeast.

As stated before, I miss the days of $.10 increments between 87,89, and 93.

I haven't seen it in awhile either, it kinda surprised me as well, the "top tier" type stations are currently $.50 difference between 87 and 93.

Are you saying you ran 10 consecutive tankfuls of 93, then switched to running 10 tankfuls of 87?

If so, then your last ~4 tankfuls of each are representative of true 93 and 87 octane.
You would have to disregard the first 6 tankfuls of each, as they were just a mixture of the two octane levels.

If you switched between 87 and 93 at all during those 20 tankfuls, then you were never truly evaluating 87 or 93 octane, as I stated.

Right.

The 87 was blended with some 93, and the 93 was blended with some 87. So don't you think the spread between 100% 87 and 100% 93 would be greater? And the computer's mileage for those 3 tanks of "mostly 87" were 22.8/22.9/22.8 Not a huge data set but much of a spread, either.

Regarding the spread you noted in calculated mileages in the most recent 9 tanks, that was my By Hand Calculation where there are variances in not-so-full tanks...it averages out over time. There's only a 1.7 MPG spread in those 9 tanks per the computer, which is the reliably consistent calculation.

Regarding my $1.50/tank...yeh, that was a fantasy. Don't know what happened. Should be $4.50 or so at the current spread. And I pointed out elsewhere that the spread during the summer has been higher (nearly double at one point), but it's settled down since. I just went online and looked at the BP I buy gas at: $2.31 for regular/$2.61 for premium. That IS low. The per-tank spread got close to $8 at one point.

I'm not wedded to these figures. I intentionally post all the details so as to get different eyes on it. When I look at it, I might just be seeing what I think should be there. I'm more motivated to fix/improve than I am to "be right."

edit to add: I just went shopping and got gas. BP's spread is back up to 72 cents a gallon ($2.31 vs $3.03), which puts the difference at almost <s>$11/tank</s>. Regular price dropped, Premium stayed the same. Exxon's spread is at 59 cents ($9/tank).

edit $2: The spread--including MPG difference--is $7/tank, not $11.

Last edited:
The 87 & 93 spread here is .60 today. That*s pretty much the range it seems to stay in so it*s enough to consider if it*s worth it. I appreciate all the info here to help make that decision.

Right.

The 87 was blended with some 93, and the 93 was blended with some 87. So don't you think the spread between 100% 87 and 100% 93 would be greater? And the computer's mileage for those 3 tanks of "mostly 87" were 22.8/22.9/22.8 Not a huge data set but much of a spread, either.

Regarding the spread you noted in calculated mileages in the most recent 9 tanks, that was my By Hand Calculation where there are variances in not-so-full tanks...it averages out over time. There's only a 1.7 MPG spread in those 9 tanks per the computer, which is the reliably consistent calculation.

Regarding my $1.50/tank...yeh, that was a fantasy. Don't know what happened. Should be $4.50 or so at the current spread. And I pointed out elsewhere that the spread during the summer has been higher (nearly double at one point), but it's settled down since. I just went online and looked at the BP I buy gas at: $2.31 for regular/$2.61 for premium. That IS low. The per-tank spread got close to $8 at one point.

I'm not wedded to these figures. I intentionally post all the details so as to get different eyes on it. When I look at it, I might just be seeing what I think should be there. I'm more motivated to fix/improve than I am to "be right."

edit to add: I just went shopping and got gas. BP's spread is back up to 72 cents a gallon ($2.31 vs $3.03), which puts the difference at almost <s>$11/tank</s>. Regular price dropped, Premium stayed the same. Exxon's spread is at 59 cents ($9/tank).

edit $2: The spread--including MPG difference--is $7/tank, not $11.

Yeah, my rough calculations showed it would be about a $1 a day difference based on my mileage. My right foot might justify it if it notices a difference.

Yeah, my rough calculations showed it would be about a $1 a day difference based on my mileage. My right foot might justify it if it notices a difference.

I have one stretch of road in particular I'm on every once in a while where there are times I cannot resist putting the transmission in Manual Mode and winding it out. One professional reviewer commented that these are sports cars with CUV bodies. They might not be that <i>good</i>, but if they came with a manual transmission, I don't think I would have a "mild driving state" behind the wheel. My entire area is winding country roads, but Manual Mode in an automatic only does so much for you.

Back