If you buy a new CX-5 don't forget to ask the dealer for ...

:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
the towbar. It's not bolted to the frame anymore so if you go off into a ditch and some dude pulls up in a pickup he won't be able to pull you out. That is unless he carries a towbar. Most tow truck drivers carry them. It just screws into the front or back of the frame. I'd bet most people buying new CX-5's didn't even think about it.
Somebody here on this forum warned me ahead of time and the sales guy had one waiting for me on his desk.

My Signature came with two large eye bolts that are to be screwed into receiving points in the rear or front if the vehicle requires towing.

My Signature came with two large eye bolts that are to be screwed into receiving points in the rear or front if the vehicle requires towing.

You were lucky, my sales guy just looked at me like I was stupid then he had to go ask the sales manager.

That's it. Lucky you. Surprised they gave you two, usually just say screw it into the end that need towing.

Just looked at the manual. The tiedown hooks/eyelets are not for towing. They are only for securing the vehicle to a transport vessel during shipping. "Using the eyelets for any other purpose could result in the vehicle being damaged." See page 7-22 of the manual.

Just looked at the manual. The tiedown hooks/eyelets are not for towing. They are only for securing the vehicle to a transport vessel during shipping. "Using the eyelets for any other purpose could result in the vehicle being damaged. See page 7-22 of the manual.

Yep, that's how its been for all model years. Which is unfortunate cause I can't figure out/remember a safe place to attach in the front.

Just looked at the manual. The tiedown hooks/eyelets are not for towing. They are only for securing the vehicle to a transport vessel during shipping. "Using the eyelets for any other purpose could result in the vehicle being damaged." See page 7-22 of the manual.

I'm confused, if not to be used for towing...why are the directions in the emergency towing section?

Ya we were told by Mazda years ago not to give them to customers as they were not for towing. But for transport on the ship.

I got both. They are solid, heavy metal and can be used for emergency towing over very short distances (such as recovery), not for pulling on the highway.

Front: KD53-50-EJ1B
Rear: KD53-50-EJ2B

Mine did not have the tow hooks from day 1.
Mazda took them away so that owners do not use them for towing.
Apparently some dealers offer them to owners if they ask for them.
Yes, they use them to tie down the vehicles onto the floors of ships while transporting them over the ocean.

I'm confused, if not to be used for towing...why are the directions in the emergency towing section?

Per the manual, they're in the emergency towing section for tying down the vehicle while transporting (during towing).
The emergency towing section says:
"Do not use the front and rear tiedown
eyelets for towing the vehicle.
They have been designed only for securing
the vehicle to a transport vessel during
shipping.
Using the eyelets for any other purpose
could result in the vehicle being damaged."
"4. Hook the *tying rope* to the tiedown
eyelet."

So those instructions say only to tie down the vehicle with those and the last step in the instructions is attaching the tie down rope.

You wouldn't want to tow with it. They are thick steel and threaded into another steel subframe component (not the bumpers), they're not going to budge. Fine for recovery.

YGCdh2g.jpg

When I bought our CX back in 2016 it didn't have the tow eyelets with the car. I asked the salesman about them and he ordered a set for me. The front eyelet is longer than the rear but the front works for both the front and rear, so you only need the front eyelet.

https://www.mazdaswag.com/oem-parts/mazda-tow-hook-kd5350ej1b $23 for the front eyelet.

Yes, Mazda says that these hooks are for securing the car during shipment and NOT for towing.

Which would you rather BillyBob the tow truck driver hooking his winch cable to, if your car needed to be pulled up onto a flatbed, one of the cars suspension components (which is most certainly NOT designed for this purpose) or the towing eyelet? These eyelets will work just fine for winching the car up onto a flatbed, as long as the car is pulled straight on, it'll be fine. Keep in mind that I said 'pulled straight on'.

As an added bonus, the front tow eyelet works great for securing a kayak in the front.

just checked my trunk. No tow hooks, but I have about a 6" long bolt like device with a wing nut on one end and threaded(1/4 to 3/8") on the other. Any idea what this is for?

just checked my trunk. No tow hooks, but I have about a 6" long bolt like device with a wing nut on one end and threaded(1/4 to 3/8") on the other. Any idea what this is for?

Was your spare tire secure? SOunds like the bolt that secures the spare tire, however, that usually has a plastic piece too that's big enough to cover the tire mounting hole.

Back