If you buy a new CX-5 don't forget to ask the dealer for ...

48930347822_1e0c740c5c.jpg

Last edited:
When I bought our CX back in 2016 it didn't have the tow eyelets with the car. I asked the salesman about them and he ordered a set for me. The front eyelet is longer than the rear but the front works for both the front and rear, so you only need the front eyelet.

https://www.mazdaswag.com/oem-parts/mazda-tow-hook-kd5350ej1b $23 for the front eyelet.

Yes, Mazda says that these hooks are for securing the car during shipment and NOT for towing.

Which would you rather BillyBob the tow truck driver hooking his winch cable to, if your car needed to be pulled up onto a flatbed, one of the cars suspension components (which is most certainly NOT designed for this purpose) or the towing eyelet? These eyelets will work just fine for winching the car up onto a flatbed, as long as the car is pulled straight on, it'll be fine. Keep in mind that I said 'pulled straight on'.

As an added bonus, the front tow eyelet works great for securing a kayak in the front.

Good points, good idea on using the front tow point for the rear for those who want to save money/space in the glovebox. These things are heavy, plenty strong for pulling short distances, as you said, in a straight line only.

so tow hooks are used for tie down on boat, then they are taken off the vehicle and the buyer of the vehicle doesn't get them? Great Mazda...

edit--anyone know what the device is in post 23??

Last edited:
so tow hooks are used for tie down on boat, then they are taken off the vehicle and the buyer of the vehicle doesn't get them? Great Mazda...

edit--anyone know what the device is in post 23??

I'm curious as well. Wonder why they include that big hunk of metal, but not something much more potentially useful.

Flat tire hold-down bolt
there is already one attached. It has a regular bolt head that the lug nut wrench provided can untighten. Have an additional one wouldn't make sense.

edit...ah, holds the flat tire down, as you said...was thinking spare

Last edited:
When I bought our CX back in 2016 it didn't have the tow eyelets with the car. I asked the salesman about them and he ordered a set for me. The front eyelet is longer than the rear but the front works for both the front and rear, so you only need the front eyelet.

https://www.mazdaswag.com/oem-parts/mazda-tow-hook-kd5350ej1b $23 for the front eyelet.

Yes, Mazda says that these hooks are for securing the car during shipment and NOT for towing.

Which would you rather BillyBob the tow truck driver hooking his winch cable to, if your car needed to be pulled up onto a flatbed, one of the cars suspension components (which is most certainly NOT designed for this purpose) or the towing eyelet? These eyelets will work just fine for winching the car up onto a flatbed, as long as the car is pulled straight on, it'll be fine. Keep in mind that I said 'pulled straight on'.

As an added bonus, the front tow eyelet works great for securing a kayak in the front.

how about getting pulled out if stuck in snow?

went to order the front tow hook and saw a pic. The eyelet looks very small...would a chain hook be able to fit into this small opening?
The back one looks a tad bigger.

I got both. They are solid, heavy metal and can be used for emergency towing over very short distances (such as recovery), not for pulling on the highway.

Front: KD53-50-EJ1B
Rear: KD53-50-EJ2B

I would think the risk is not the quality of the eye hooks but the ruggedness of the attach points.

I went through this with my CX-9. As Zeroman mentioned, Mazda doesn't include them in any of their 2014+ vehicles. If you happen to find eyelets in your car, they were left there by accident, and really shouldn't be used for anything (special exception might be to use them as tie down points for a kayak). You have to order the emergency recovery eyelets from the parts desk to make sure you're getting the correct ones (see below).

I got both. They are solid, heavy metal and can be used for emergency towing over very short distances (such as recovery), not for pulling on the highway.

Front: KD53-50-EJ1B
Rear: KD53-50-EJ2B

In my case, I thought the recovery eyelet would be included, but discovered that it wasn't when I was working with a vendor to get a license plate relocation mount made.

Last edited:
Are these really vehicle specific or are there generic eyelets that work for many/most vehicles? Seems like a one-fits-all type of thing except for really unique designs in front or rear bumpers. I understand that extremely heavy-duty ones would be necessary for larger trucks. Also, the length could vary depending on the inner framework (such as the front vs rear lengths mentioned here).

I hope that each manufacturer didn't pick a different thread density/pitch/diameter just to be incompatible.

Are these really vehicle specific or are there generic eyelets that work for many/most vehicles? Seems like a one-fits-all type of thing except for really unique designs in front or rear bumpers. I understand that extremely heavy-duty ones would be necessary for larger trucks. Also, the length could vary depending on the inner framework (such as the front vs rear lengths mentioned here).

I hope that each manufacturer didn't pick a different thread density/pitch/diameter just to be incompatible.

All I know is that the thread/pitch on my IS250 was not the same as the thread/pitch on my CX-9.

I would think they would be the same since the Mazda service guy told me most tow truck drivers carry them.

My CX and MX both use the same eyelets. As I said above, you really don't need the shorter rear eyelet because the longer front eyelet works just fine.

Back