How long does the 2017 original equipment battery remain trouble free?

How long does the 2017 original equipment battery remain trouble free?

Who knows? Eveything and everybody is different. Some people report problems immediately and some people go 7 years without a problem.
From my experience I change my battery every 3 years regardless. I've been stranded twice with a dead battery and 2 is 2 times too many.
Plus batteries today don't give you any warning. It could start right up in the morning a be completely dead at lunch time.

Not a 2017 but my 2014 lasted 3 years before it wouldn't start the car after sitting for a couple days.

You can do a load test to check the health of a battery. Advance Auto and others will do it for free.

6yrs 100k on my 14 oe battery 0 issues slept outside but expectancy is more high heat related than cold.

On the subject of battery longevity, I've used dielectric grease on the terminals and it keeps the battery and battery terminals completely corrosion free.

A good rule of thumb is to replace your battery every 5 years. I've never heard the 3 year rule, but if you got stuck 2 times, I can see being more conservative. lol

2013 still going strong

Purchased my 2013 CX-5 in May of 2012 and still has the original battery. Original everything actually. Not even a bad burp in 7.5 years. Original brakes are down to 3mm so will do them before too long. I should probably think about changing out the battery this winter but no problems so far. Parked it for 2.5 weeks in September and it fired right up. Love my CX-5!!

2013 still going strong

Purchased my 2013 CX-5 in May of 2012 and still has the original battery. Original everything actually. Not even a bad burp in 7.5 years. Original brakes are down to 3mm so will do them before too long. I should probably think about changing out the battery this winter but no problems so far. Parked it for 2.5 weeks in September and it fired right up. Love my CX-5!!
7.5 years and for how many miles?

And I agree with Monterra that battery expectancy is more high heat related than cold. Its difficult to make a battery lasting more than 5 years in hot Texas.

I can only speak for both my '14 Mazda3 and '16 Mazda6. The batteries both lasted about 3 yrs.
Mixed driving city and highway. Always garaged. 8k-12K /yr. In California warm weather.

Lead acid starting batteries are challenged when heavily discharged or with excess vibration such as off-road racing.

If the car sits more than a week or so, put it on a 'smart' trickle charger. If used for multiple short trips in winter, do the same.

Otherwise, a decent brand-name battery should last at least 10-12 years, like mine do.

Who knows? Eveything and everybody is different. Some people report problems immediately and some people go 7 years without a problem.
From my experience I change my battery every 3 years regardless. I've been stranded twice with a dead battery and 2 is 2 times too many.
Plus batteries today don't give you any warning. It could start right up in the morning a be completely dead at lunch time.
No need for panic if you have a lithium ion battery back up starter in the boot. They hardly cost 50-70 euros, are small and seem to keep their charge for atleast one year. I have one each for our two cars. I recharge them once a year.

My experience over the last 15-16 years or so and several cars in the SouCal environment is that batteries last about 4 years. And they die without warning. It used to be that you would notice slow cranking and have enough starts left to get to the store and buy a new battery.I also noticed that even 60 or 72 month guaranteed batteries die after about 4 years leading me to believe they are the same as the standard batteries and what you are paying for is the pro-rated refund when they fail early. The last battery in my 370Z (an Interstate brand with a 60 month warranty) died after 3 years and without warning.
My standard plan now is to replace them at 48 months and not worry about being stranded. And hoping that the Interstate battery that failed after 36 months was an anomaly. I think the heat destroys them. Summer temps can be in the 90's and sitting in freeway traffic jams can probably raise the temp under the hood high enough to bake a turkey.

Batteries store chemicals to create voltage. Heat accelerates chemical reactions and kills batteries.

Be sure and properly test the battery and try a trickle charger because in winter battery voltage gets lower for several reasons other than complete failure: low temperatures, high load from lights and heater use.

Also remember the Mazda electrical system shuts down the battery when voltage drops to certain point, not that the battery is dead.
This protects the battery from damage and allows it to be recharged.

My 16.5 went dead last summer but a load test revealed it only needed a thorough charge.
It's been fine since then. Heat might kill it this summer but Panasonic batteries are probably as good or better than most.

Back