2018 CX-5 infotainment keeps crashing

jwolfgram4

:
2018 CX-5 Grand Touring
The system crashes and resets frequently when connected to bluetooth. Doesn't happen when using the radio. Don't have apple CarPlay installed on this one yet. Any ideas on how to correct? Update the firmware? Does any know know which version I should install and a link for it? Current version listed below. Thank you!

OS Version: 59.00.504 NA N
Music Database: 00.07.000
Fail-Safe Version: 59.00.504

Take it to the dealer. They will likely update the firmware if necessary. If the problem continues, take it back to them and they will troubleshoot further. I think in the most extreme case, they'll replace the entire CMU/screen under warranty.

Take it to the dealer. They will likely update the firmware if necessary. If the problem continues, take it back to them and they will troubleshoot further. I think in the most extreme case, they'll replace the entire CMU/screen under warranty.
Provided that OP has plenty of spare time to go to Mazda dealer several times trying to fix a single problem. Software updates rarely can fix any hardware problems. OP should insists his Mazda dealer to replace the entire infotainment unit at the first place.

The system crashes and resets frequently when connected to bluetooth. Doesn't happen when using the radio. Don't have apple CarPlay installed on this one yet. Any ideas on how to correct? Update the firmware? Does any know know which version I should install and a link for it? Current version listed below. Thank you!

OS Version: 59.00.504 NA N
Music Database: 00.07.000
Fail-Safe Version: 59.00.504

I think that is a fairly new version.
Have you tried other cell phone? Friend's or other family member's?
This is to isolate problem. If all cell phones cause the crashing, then, the BT module of your CX5 could be bad.
If just one phone has the issue, try to update the software on that phone.
My two cents.

I think that is a fairly new version.
Have you tried other cell phone? Friend's or other family member's?
This is to isolate problem. If all cell phones cause the crashing, then, the BT module of your CX5 could be bad.
If just one phone has the issue, try to update the software on that phone.
My two cents.

The latest version is 70.00.335 and Music database is version 9.00 so at least the OP will need to get the dealer to update to that.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the feedback. We'll try a different phone and see if that does anything. Plugging into USB seems to work fine just he bluetooth causes issues. We'll probably take it to the dealer this week and let them deal with it.

The latest version is 70.00.335 and Music database is version 9.00 so at least the OP will need to get the dealer to update to that.

v. 70 is mainly for AndroidAuto and CarPlay.
v. 59 is newest otherwise.
Dealer will not update your CX5 to v.70 unless you are installing AndroidAuto/CarPlay or already have it.
Sure some dealers did it by mistake or on your request, but they are not supposed to... based on instructions from Mazda.

I have version 59......504 on my two year old 6, so it's at least that old, if not older.

My system has been rebooting every 3-4 minutes for several weeks now. Unable to fix on my own, but thankfully still under warranty. "Bad Navigation Chip" was the description from the dealer. I saw the warranty claim they plan to submit, which was around $400 to diagnose and replace the chip. That seems insanely high for what took them perhaps 30 minutes.

Provided that OP has plenty of spare time to go to Mazda dealer several times trying to fix a single problem. Software updates rarely can fix any hardware problems. OP should insists his Mazda dealer to replace the entire infotainment unit at the first place.

LOL you've got to be joking. Might as well ask for a brand new car hahaha

First, if you have an issue with a car that is under warranty, you take it to the dealer. That is common sense. If you aren't willing to take the time to have the dealer troubleshoot the issue, then you fix it yourself (at the risk of voiding your factory warranty) or you live with it. Tesla offers mobile service appointments, but if you don't have a Tesla, you take it to the dealer for professional diagnosis.

Second, what makes you think that it's a hardware problem? OP states that the system crashes and reboots when using Bluetooth. Works fine when using the radio. If it was an issue with the CMU, it would crash and reboot regardless of the audio source. Now, it's possible that it could be a hardware issue with the physical Bluetooth receiver/transmitter, but it would be easier and cheaper for everyone involved to do a firmware/software update or reflash first. The reflash takes minutes, and it won't cost OP anything. Anyone who's ever troubleshooted anything at all knows that you start with the small stuff first. If you're getting engine vibration and poor mileage, you don't bring the car in for a valve cleaning. You check the engine air filter, check the motor mounts, then have the intake valves inspected with a boroscope to confirm if the valves need to be cleaned, and then you bring the car in for a valve cleaning. Everyone follows this process to avoid unnecessary spending, the dealer is no exception.

Third, software fixes can most definitely correct some (but not all) hardware problems, within reason. Consider the OTA OS updates you get on your phone. They wouldn't be doing these updates if they didn't make the product better or fix identified issues.

My screen rebooting issue had started spontaneously last month, and has stopped happening. I had removed the nav chip and that worked for a few days, i finally put it back and havent had a crash in a week. But, my softwares have been updated to the latest.

Back