Smart City Brake Support" I guess?

:
2018 Madza CX-9 GT
Smart City Brake Support" I guess?

Over the almost 2 years I have owned my 2018 CX-9 and monitored this forum, I have only seen very limited discussions regarding our suite of safety systems and how they work (or not) with each other. The other day I had my first experience with (I guess) the autonomous braking (or in Mazda speak: Smart City Brake Support" I guess?).

(In the past 2 years, on maybe 4-5 occasions, while driving in Adaptive Cruise Control and automatically stopping with the traffic in front of me, (either because the car in front changed lanes, or whatever), I have felt like I was about to hit the car in front, and immediately slammed on the brakes while simultaneously getting the message in the heads up display to BRAKE (or whatever it says). Each time I have been left wondering if the car would have braked for me if I hadn't.).

The other day I was caught in bumper to bumper heavy stop and go traffic and found myself searching for an address, looking (way to long) to my left and likely ignoring the traffic in front of me. In an instant as I again looked forward, to my horror, I was about to smash into a vehicle directly in front of me, at perhaps 7-10 mph. It all happened so fast it is difficult to remember exactly what happened, but heres how I remember it (kind of in slow motion). I saw I was about to hit the vehicle, the BRAKE message was already displayed in the HUD, and I started to hit the brakes. As my foot touched the brake pedal, it felt solid as a rock and (I guess) before I could do anything the brakes violently applied, all four wheels (I guess) locked, and we screeched to a complete stop, maybe 2-3 feet from the car in front.

As I say, it all happened so fast, it is very difficult to know exactly what happened, but I know that it felt like as I went to apply the brakes, they were already applied (The brake pedal was already pushed as far down as it will go and felt solid as a rock, with no give in it) and my Mazda was already violently breaking for me.

Or maybe that was just my imagination; all I know for sure is that I didnt smash into that vehicle in front of me!

I used to sometimes start pulling into my garage when the door is still opening but above my hood. I quit doing that after the car twice applied full brakes as it thought I would hit the door.

Glad it works as it should.

Last edited:
Over the almost 2 years I have owned my 2018 CX-9 and monitored this forum, I have only seen very limited discussions regarding our suite of safety systems and how they work (or not) with each other. The other day I had my first experience with (I guess) the autonomous braking (or in Mazda speak: *Smart City Brake Support" * I guess?).

(In the past 2 years, on maybe 4-5 occasions, while driving in Adaptive Cruise Control and automatically stopping with the traffic in front of me, (either because the car in front changed lanes, or whatever), I have felt like I was about to hit the car in front, and immediately slammed on the brakes while simultaneously getting the message in the heads up display to BRAKE (or whatever it says). Each time I have been left wondering if the car would have braked for me if I hadn't.).

The other day I was caught in bumper to bumper heavy stop and go traffic and found myself searching for an address, looking (way to long) to my left and likely ignoring the traffic in front of me. In an instant as I again looked forward, to my horror, I was about to smash into a vehicle directly in front of me, at perhaps 7-10 mph. It all happened so fast it is difficult to remember exactly what happened, but here*s how I remember it (kind of in slow motion). I saw I was about to hit the vehicle, the BRAKE message was already displayed in the HUD, and I started to hit the brakes. As my foot touched the brake pedal, it felt solid as a rock and (I guess) before I could do anything the brakes violently applied, all four wheels (I guess) locked, and we screeched to a complete stop, maybe 2-3 feet from the car in front.

As I say, it all happened so fast, it is very difficult to know exactly what happened, but I know that it felt like as I went to apply the brakes, they were already applied (The brake pedal was already pushed as far down as it will go and felt solid as a rock, with no *give* in it) and my Mazda was already violently breaking for me.

Or maybe that was just my imagination; all I know for sure is that I didn*t smash into that vehicle in front of me!

I think this is normal. You can change the settings in the Infotainment if you'd like it to intervene/alarm you earlier, but a lot of people prefer a less intrusive system. Maybe your current settings are set to the lowest distance, and that's why it seems like it isn't intervening quickly enough. This came up recently in the CX-5 forum.

It's definitely nice to have with all of the added distractions that come with cellphones, infotainment, and everything else drivers can become distracted with these days, but I do my best not to rely on it.

Also, just FYI, at low speeds the feature is called Smart City Brake Support, and at regular/high speeds it's just called Smart Brake Support.

Back