Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Potential 2020 CX-5 Spotted in Mazda Hofu

Registered Member

Mazda3

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    It's considered the "second generation". Not all new, but lots of changes, mostly to the body.
    I'll be waiting for the third gen, too. 21? 22 seems more likely.

Honda released the CRV a year earlier than the CX-5, and they just refreshed it with the 2020 model. Iím hoping the CX5 gets updated next year.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Reserve

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate View Post
    It's hard to tell from the photo:

The screen may be slightly different in size, but you should get a good idea of what it's like in design from the video above.
    Regardless, no touchscreen until Reserve trim or higher, so that's a downgrade for the 3 lower trims in my opinion.
    To be honest, with voice command and the command knob, I*ve almost never used the touchscreen in either my 2016 or my 2019. It*s disabled above a couple of miles per hour and I have to lean forward to reach the screen. People have mentioned that the lower models get more iActivesense features, so that*s an acceptable trade off in my eyes.

Registered Member

Mazda CX5 Touring

Interesting, that definitely looks like it.

Summary of changes for 2020: i-Activesense package standard (likely with slight price increase to accommodate), emblem no longer italicized, Skyactiv badge tweaked to align with diesel badge (Skyactiv-D), and screen is now 1" larger, with no touchscreen except on top models.
    Mazda and that damn infotainment system. Somehow, they found a way to make it worse by completely disabling touch on the lower models. Most cars in this segment that you might want don't, exactly, have the best infotainment, but when you look at a RAV4 with entune, and think, "well, it's better than Mazda Connect" that's kind of saying something.

I drive 20k/year with $4.00/gallon 87 gas. A signature / reserve just isn't going to happen.

2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by dyingquail View Post
    Mazda and that damn infotainment system. Somehow, they found a way to make it worse by completely disabling touch on the lower models. Most cars in this segment that you might want don't, exactly, have the best infotainment, but when you look at a RAV4 with entune, and think, "well, it's better than Mazda Connect" that's kind of saying something.

I drive 20k/year with $4.00/gallon 87 gas. A signature / reserve just isn't going to happen.
    It's cost cutting, no doubt. A non-touch LCD is cheaper to produce than a touchscreen, and the difference adds up over hundreds of thousands of units.

I may add Carplay to my Sport trim and that definitely benefits from having the touchscreen.
    Last edited by Chocolate; 10-19-2019 at 11:28 PM.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 GT

It's cost cutting, no doubt. A non-touch LCD is cheaper to produce than a touchscreen, and the difference adds up over hundreds of thousands of units.

I may add Carplay to my Sport trim and that definitely benefits from having the touchscreen.
    For me the touchscreen on my '19 GT is pretty worthless. I use AA all the time and the knob in the center console is perfect for the job. My other car has an aftermarket Sony XAV-100 AA unit with touchscreen and the CX-5 does just as well.

My guess is the screen on the dash will look the same, but the display will stretch further to the edges. There is room for more screen acreage in the current unit. I am also glad they are adding shift paddles to the wheel. It seems like a Mazda should have those.
    Last edited by chickdr; 10-20-2019 at 12:21 AM.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

The whole Mazda infotainment system is terrible. From the NAV system to the speed to the implementation of CarPlay. It is only when you drive another car - even something as bad as a Rogue do you realize how bad it is. And I feel for you. I was just in SF and had to pay $4.35 for gas. Scary price. I currently pay $2.15 where I live.
    2014 Silver Mazda CX-5 GT
    2017 Eternal Blue Mazda 3 Touring
    2018 Machine Grey Mazda CX-9 Signature

Registered Member

2017 Mazda 6 Sport

Mazda does not want people being distracted by having to lean forward, take their eyes off the road, and poke around on a screen trying to touch tiny buttons. It's distracting and dangerous. Using the command knob is a much superior and more intuitive process. People only knock it because they're used to the clunkier touchscreen setups in other brands. I've gotten to where I can switch functions just by feel, never even having to look at the screen.

No one seems to criticize the similar knob controls on BMW and Audi

Registered Member

Mazda CX5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by dunhillmc View Post
    Mazda does not want people being distracted by having to lean forward, take their eyes off the road, and poke around on a screen trying to touch tiny buttons. It's distracting and dangerous. Using the command knob is a much superior and more intuitive process. People only knock it because they're used to the clunkier touchscreen setups in other brands. I've gotten to where I can switch functions just by feel, never even having to look at the screen.

I do. Very few luxury cars get infotainment right from my perch in the cheap seats. I think it*s arguable that they*re worse than the average infotainment in a $20k car in many cases. I see nothing in the virtual cockpit that*s worth what Audi charges for it.

Registered Member

2018 CX5 SE-L Nav+ 2WD 2.2D 150hp Auto

It's the knob who controls who needs to be criticised. "I can't find the indicator stalk" or "how about I set the radar cruise into tailgating mode. 1 foot distance should do it and at the same time set the headlights to flash continually on main beam" See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKH5Gd92k74
    The internet is a huge dumpster, you have to search hard to find the gold nuggets

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

Mazda should immediately replace their marketing team or contract. The designers and engineers have done their job, the marketing side has not. All of the Mazda television/video ads I have seen have been terrible.
    IDK, the more I drive our 2019, the more alive I feel.

2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

Agreed 100%. All makes should be made the same. It*s time people stopped messing with audio and phones while driving.

2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Sig cx-5 View Post

vs

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/opEf/2019-ma...ey-reinhart-t1

That ad would be terrible even without the banshee screeching.

The Mazda USA marketing campaign needs a major rework.

2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Sig cx-5 View Post
    The tagline is fine. It's the ads themselves.

2013 VRM Mazdaspeed3, 2016 Soul Red CX-5 GT

We need less touchscreen in our lives. Even the US Navy blamed the touchscreen controls for the collisions they had and are switching to more mechanical controls. I haven't had to touch the screen on our 2016 CX-5's infotainment system since a few weeks after buying it.

2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by finch204 View Post
    We need less touchscreen in our lives. Even the US Navy blamed the touchscreen controls for the collisions they had and are switching to more mechanical controls. I haven't had to touch the screen on our 2016 CX-5's infotainment system since a few weeks after buying it.
    Interesting point, and you are right: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-49319450

That said, I sure see a lot of car infotainment systems moving towards touchscreens. Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, to name just a few.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast