Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Potential 2020 CX-5 Spotted in Mazda Hofu

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 w/ Tech/Activsense

Quote Originally Posted by Sig cx-5 View Post
    Wait, are you claiming that the Rav4 is quieter than the CX-5? All the reviews I've read on the new Rav4, bash it for how noisy it is. The CX-5, with its dual-pane windows, is one of the quietest out there.
    I don't see where they claim that.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by mackworth View Post
    I don't see where they claim that.
    Maybe I misunderstood this statement:

Quote Originally Posted by mreg376 View Post
    Yes, I saw that about the hood blanket. But from everything I've read that still doesn't help with the wind and tire noise at highway speed, which is apparently substantial. Is a 2 decibel difference between the Rav4 and the CX-5 substantial?

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Yes, I saw that about the hood blanket. But from everything I've read that still doesn't help with the wind and tire noise at highway speed, which is apparently substantial. Is a 2 decibel difference between the Rav4 and the CX-5 substantial?
    Lol, complaining about gen 2 CX-5 road noise? Try driving my gen 1 one of these days.

While it never bothered me since I came from a 98 Jeep GC and a TJ with a soft top, it has been widely considered one of the biggest issues people had with the gen 1's and the Gen 2 CX-5 completely revamped the NVH of the car to make it an industry leader vs. RAV4, CR-V, etc.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 87k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 w/ Tech/Activsense

I took their statement to be on the Rav4. The 2020 Rav4 added the hood insulation but because its its physical body design, reviews say that its wind noise is still really annoying. So they fixed one issue but they can't fix the body design noise.

And I guessing the 2 DB difference is from:

https://www.auto-decibel-db.com/Mazda_CX-5_2017.html (Not sure if there were further improvements in 2018 or 2019 models)
    https://www.auto-decibel-db.com/Toyota_RAV4_2018.html

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by jmhumr View Post
    I*m cross shopping the two. With all of the crossovers in this class being a bum in at least one of the popular buying factors (CX-5 in cargo, RAV4 in driving experience, etc.), I think a lot of shoppers like myself end up struggling to decide where they want to compromise. It*s really a shame that companies struggle so hard to make a car that checks all the boxes as we near 2020.
    Compromise will always be a factor. Nobody wants exactly the same thing. For example cargo room isn't a big deal for me as its just me and my wife. IMHO the CX-5 has plenty of room especially with the rear seats folded.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by mackworth View Post
    I took their statement to be on the Rav4. The 2020 Rav4 added the hood insulation but because its its physical body design, reviews say that its wind noise is still really annoying. So they fixed one issue but they can't fix the body design noise.

And I guessing the 2 DB difference is from:

https://www.auto-decibel-db.com/Mazda_CX-5_2017.html (Not sure if there were further improvements in 2018 or 2019 models)
    https://www.auto-decibel-db.com/Toyota_RAV4_2018.html
    I made that 2 dB statement. I got the 2 dB difference from road tests done on Youtube by "Alex on Autos," an excellent reviewer. He was high on the Rav4 for everything but highway noise. He measured the Rav4 at 72 dB and the CX-5 at 70 dB. Other reviewers have been much more critical of the Rav4's highway noise, including the hybrid, engine blanket notwithstanding. Overall all reviewers have criticized the Rav4's excessive wind and tire noise. Seems like a real issue.
    Last edited by mreg376; 11-08-2019 at 08:55 AM.

2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD

I made that 2 dB statement. I got the 2 dB difference from road tests done on Youtube by "Alex on Autos," an excellent reviewer. He was high on the Rav4 for everything but highway noise. He measured the Rav4 at 72 dB and the CX-5 at 70 dB. Other reviewers have been much more critical of the Rav4's highway noise, including the hybrid, engine blanket notwithstanding. Overall all reviewers have criticized the Rav4's excessive wound and tire noise. Seems like a real issue.
    Nonsense, the Rav4 hybrid is the finest vehicle produced by mankind. It is without flaw.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345