Potential 2020 CX-5 Spotted in Mazda Hofu

Interesting, that definitely looks like it.

Summary of changes for 2020: i-Activesense package standard (likely with slight price increase to accommodate), emblem no longer italicized, Skyactiv badge tweaked to align with diesel badge (Skyactiv-D), and screen is now 1" larger, with no touchscreen except on top models.

Hofu that's a lot of CX-5s.

acefaa28.jpg

CX-5 branding more prominent
29dc3ff3.png

new font looks very clean, matches the new cx-30. current nav screen size is good, but a bigger one would be nice like the 2020.

new font looks very clean, matches the new cx-30. current nav screen size is good, but a bigger one would be nice like the 2020.

Yeah, all of the new Mazdas including the Mazda 3 have the new non-italicized font. A little detail, but noticeable. I actually prefer the look of the italicized logo, but the standard font is much more readable.

Here's a review of the newer infotainment screen. Wider, slightly updated graphics, and no more touchscreen except on turbo models. Nothing worth waiting until next year for.

Review at 9 minutes

Yeah, all of the new Mazdas including the Mazda 3 have the new non-italicized font. A little detail, but noticeable. I actually prefer the look of the italicized logo, but the standard font is much more readable.

Here's a review of the newer infotainment screen. Wider, slightly updated graphics, and no more touchscreen except on turbo models. Nothing worth waiting until next year for.

Review at 9 minutes

The shape of the screen in the CX-5 photo looks like the current screen (symmetrical and wider at the bottom and top) than the screen shown in the Mazda 3 video. I wonder if the actual head unit is different, or they just used more of the screen, because there is a lot of dead space on either side of the 2019 screen.

Yeah, if the new font does not increase sales, I am not sure what will.

It's hard to tell from the photo:

2c0b6cd2.jpg

The screen may be slightly different in size, but you should get a good idea of what it's like in design from the video above.
Regardless, no touchscreen until Reserve trim or higher, so that's a downgrade for the 3 lower trims in my opinion.

Yeah, if the new font does not increase sales, I am not sure what will.

Mazda should immediately replace their marketing team or contract. The designers and engineers have done their job, the marketing side has not. All of the Mazda television/video ads I have seen have been terrible.

Mazda should immediately replace their marketing team or contract. The designers and engineers have done their job, the marketing side has not. All of the Mazda television/video ads I have seen have been terrible.

Totally true, and I know some good ones for hire...;)

So was the 2017 CX-5 considered a 'all new design' or a refresh of the 2016 CX-5? Iv'e heard a few different things. I want to buy a CX-5 Sig but not until they update a few things(like the god awful infotainment and blurry cameras)

So was the 2017 CX-5 considered a 'all new design' or a refresh of the 2016 CX-5? Iv'e heard a few different things. I want to buy a CX-5 Sig but not until they update a few things(like the god awful infotainment and blurry cameras)

It's considered the "second generation". Not all new, but lots of changes, mostly to the body.
I'll be waiting for the third gen, too. 21? 22 seems more likely.

Agree 100%. Cars are better than ever.

I am pretty sure that the last post about the 2020 had only the turbo models getting the bigger screen and there was speculation the turbo was just going to get the larger screen from the cx-9, not the new Mazda 3 system.

It's considered the "second generation". Not all new, but lots of changes, mostly to the body.
I'll be waiting for the third gen, too. 21? 22 seems more likely.

Honda released the CRV a year earlier than the CX-5, and they just refreshed it with the 2020 model. Im hoping the CX5 gets updated next year.

It's hard to tell from the photo:

The screen may be slightly different in size, but you should get a good idea of what it's like in design from the video above.
Regardless, no touchscreen until Reserve trim or higher, so that's a downgrade for the 3 lower trims in my opinion.

To be honest, with voice command and the command knob, I*ve almost never used the touchscreen in either my 2016 or my 2019. It*s disabled above a couple of miles per hour and I have to lean forward to reach the screen. People have mentioned that the lower models get more iActivesense features, so that*s an acceptable trade off in my eyes.

Interesting, that definitely looks like it.

Summary of changes for 2020: i-Activesense package standard (likely with slight price increase to accommodate), emblem no longer italicized, Skyactiv badge tweaked to align with diesel badge (Skyactiv-D), and screen is now 1" larger, with no touchscreen except on top models.

Mazda and that damn infotainment system. Somehow, they found a way to make it worse by completely disabling touch on the lower models. Most cars in this segment that you might want don't, exactly, have the best infotainment, but when you look at a RAV4 with entune, and think, "well, it's better than Mazda Connect" that's kind of saying something.

I drive 20k/year with $4.00/gallon 87 gas. A signature / reserve just isn't going to happen.

Mazda and that damn infotainment system. Somehow, they found a way to make it worse by completely disabling touch on the lower models. Most cars in this segment that you might want don't, exactly, have the best infotainment, but when you look at a RAV4 with entune, and think, "well, it's better than Mazda Connect" that's kind of saying something.

I drive 20k/year with $4.00/gallon 87 gas. A signature / reserve just isn't going to happen.

It's cost cutting, no doubt. A non-touch LCD is cheaper to produce than a touchscreen, and the difference adds up over hundreds of thousands of units.

I may add Carplay to my Sport trim and that definitely benefits from having the touchscreen.

Last edited:
It's cost cutting, no doubt. A non-touch LCD is cheaper to produce than a touchscreen, and the difference adds up over hundreds of thousands of units.

I may add Carplay to my Sport trim and that definitely benefits from having the touchscreen.

For me the touchscreen on my '19 GT is pretty worthless. I use AA all the time and the knob in the center console is perfect for the job. My other car has an aftermarket Sony XAV-100 AA unit with touchscreen and the CX-5 does just as well.

My guess is the screen on the dash will look the same, but the display will stretch further to the edges. There is room for more screen acreage in the current unit. I am also glad they are adding shift paddles to the wheel. It seems like a Mazda should have those.

Last edited:
Back