post your blue triangle

Let's see them! Any else at 21? Should this be higher? Is this my actual average mpg? Why does it go all the way up to 80? lol

qXf7h5J.jpg

The most accurate way is to measure your odometer at a fillup, then at the next fillup, divide the miles traveled by gallons filled, and this will give you an accurate MPG reading.

That's the real-time mpg as you're traveling down the road. Take your foot off the gas and coast and it will go up to 80.
One of the trip odometers may keep track of your avg. mpg.

The blue triangle only shows average mpg. It doesn't go to 80 when you're coasting, but there's a bar graph on the same gauge that does.

Last edited:
No blue triangle here, but how's this for mileage on an older 2016? Took a trip from Bethlehem, Pa. down to Ocean City Md., about a 200 mile trip, averaged 33.5 mpg. Here's some various screen shots along the way. This is my second big trip with this car in 2 years. First trip I averaged 28 mpg with the Toyo tires, this trip was with Nokian ENTYRE 2.0 tires. Think the tires made a difference? All flat highway driving, no hills. Speeds between 60 to 75 mph.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20191010_070529700.jpg
    IMG_20191010_070529700.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 579
  • IMG_20191010_080242058.jpg
    IMG_20191010_080242058.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 582
  • IMG_20191010_081450836_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191010_081450836_HDR.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 582
I'm getting about 18-19mpg right now, but I was getting 20-21 a few weeks back. Obviously running heat + heated seat + heated steering wheel lowers the efficiency.

I'm getting about 18-19mpg right now, but I was getting 20-21 a few weeks back. Obviously running heat + heated seat + heated steering wheel lowers the efficiency.

Running the heat or using heated seats & steering wheel should not impact the efficiency should it?

Running the heat or using heated seats & steering wheel should not impact the efficiency should it?

I would say it's indicating colder weather which is why he's getting lower mileage....

Just a little bit. Don't know if it's enough to be noticeable on mileage calcs.

I would say it's indicating colder weather which is why he's getting lower mileage....
This much more. He's getting mileage like mine, which implies lots of short trips, which is bad for mileage anytime, but the worst when it's cold.

For instance, engine oil and other fluids become thicker when they are cold, creating more friction inside the car's engine and causing the car to use more energy.Oct 19, 2015

Interesting.

No blue triangle here, but how's this for mileage on an older 2016? Took a trip from Bethlehem, Pa. down to Ocean City Md., about a 200 mile trip, averaged 33.5 mpg. Here's some various screen shots along the way. This is my second big trip with this car in 2 years. First trip I averaged 28 mpg with the Toyo tires, this trip was with Nokian ENTYRE 2.0 tires. Think the tires made a difference? All flat highway driving, no hills. Speeds between 60 to 75 mph.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Since you posted these pics, could someone explain exactly what those bar graphs and scales mean? Or at least direct me to some documentation on them.

I feel so stupid asking this...

Let's see them! Any else at 21? Should this be higher? Is this my actual average mpg? Why does it go all the way up to 80? lol

qXf7h5J.jpg

That's about where mine is...23.4 MPG is my inception-to-date computer mileage on a 2019 Reserve (turbo), which is about 0.5 MPG lower than my manual calculations.

Since you posted these pics, could someone explain exactly what those bar graphs and scales mean? Or at least direct me to some documentation on them.

I feel so stupid asking this...

Look under Fuel Economy Monitor in your manual. It's really a brilliant implementation, imo.

I reset my trips every fill up so my triangle wouldn't indicate much but over the 7,000 miles I've owned my 2019 CX-5, from March to today, I've averaged 28.2 MPG when calculated by hand, 29.7 MPG as reported by the car.
My 2014 CX-5 averaged 29.2 MPG as calculated by hand, 28.23 MPG as reported by the car over the 16,000 miles I owned it and that was year round.

Some possible MPG factors:
I live at about 4,600 feet with long, cold, snowy winters and drive between 75-90 MPH on freeways - it seems like CX-5's get much better mileage at slower speeds but speed limits start at 70 here. Most of my miles are on road trips of at least 500 miles. I almost only use Chevron gas. I'm pretty good at keeping my tires at the correct PSI.

Last edited:
it seems like CX-5's get much better mileage at slower speeds

Quoted for truth.

I'm in the country with very little traffic and even fewer stop signs or traffic lights. Minimum speeds are 45MPH. Most roads are 55MPH, and they're all hilly & winding.

I've been disappointed with my less-than-steller 24 MPG (turbo) and was anticipating an upcoming 100 mile cruise-controlled round trip on the 70MPH interstate to give my mileage a boost. I was wrong. Average This Drive as I went down the highway was 22 MPG, both there and back.

Some folks here have done an ECU tune on their cars, reporting that mileage has increased because [supposedly] the factory settings run to the rich side. Kinda makes one even more strongly consider doing this when you can rationalize a cost savings.

I reset my trips every fill up so my triangle wouldn't indicate much but over the 7,000 miles I've owned my 2019 CX-5, from March to today, I've averaged 28.2 MPG when calculated by hand, 29.7 MPG as reported by the car.
My 2014 CX-5 averaged 29.2 MPG as calculated by hand, 28.23 MPG as reported by the car over the 16,000 miles I owned it and that was year round.

Some possible MPG factors:
I live at about 4,600 feet with long, cold, snowy winters and drive between 75-90 MPH on freeways - it seems like CX-5's get much better mileage at slower speeds but speed limits start at 70 here. Most of my miles are on road trips of at least 500 miles. I almost only use Chevron gas. I'm pretty good at keeping my tires at the correct PSI.

I tend to run 89 octane in the summer, run 36 psi in the tires instead of the 34 psi on the door tag. You might want to look for a tire with lower rolling resistance next time for new tires, could possibly push you into the 30 mpg area.

Back