Anyone bought a CX-5 when the closest dealer is 2 hrs away?

I live a mile, at most, from my well respected Mazda dealer. The only chance they'll have of seeing me, is if I need some recall, or warranty work performed. My research shows I may never see them again. :)

Thanks for the additional good vibes! I think best prices on the Reserve and Signature aren't much more than a few hundred to a thousand below sticker, so I doubt I'd travel as far as Vegas or Albuquerque for a few hundred bucks.

Jim

Sure, but would you for a thousand? (wow) Can't hurt to ask. Sometimes they get really eager to sell. Since you're not under time pressure, you can really shop it.

Wherever you buy it, I bet your drive home will be the best you've had in a long time. (drive)

Sure, but would you for a thousand? (wow) Can't hurt to ask. Sometimes they get really eager to sell. Since you're not under time pressure, you can really shop it.

Wherever you buy it, I bet your drive home will be the best you've had in a long time. (drive)

Yeah, there's that!

I recommend shopping the highest rated dealers (call or email, your choice) in your area during the last week of the month. That is when they are trying to make their quotas and you have more leverage. Sometimes you can get a great deal the last few days of the month.

I recommend shopping the highest rated dealers (call or email, your choice) in your area during the last week of the month. That is when they are trying to make their quotas and you have more leverage. Sometimes you can get a great deal the last few days of the month.

That was my plan. It was a matter of deciding on whether to do it in November or in December.

I checked a Phoenix dealer and noticed under their inventory they have a icon Get Price. I would suggest the following:

1. Hit Get Price and request an Out The Door Price. Then, you can drive there and road test to see if you want to buy. You want a price with NO trade.

2. If you plan to trade, get a price locally from 2-3 sources as 2 what they would pay to buy your trade. This would give you an idea of value so the dealer doesn't low ball the trade.

3. In Florida, it was better to trade. The dealer offered me $500 less than the other 3 sources. However, the 6.5% sales tax is calculated on the net price after trade which was $851 plus $500 if I traded a car.

As to your other question, I have purchased cars from far away dealers and it is tough to plan to drive 100 miles for an oil change. I would suggest you talk to a local shop and ask if you bring Mazda oil and filter will they change the oil for the labor charge. Explain the problem and I am sure a shop will help you out. You can order the oil over the internet.

Good luck.

I wouldn't recommend Mazda for the OP.
With the exception that you are in your 20s with no kids and flexible work arrangements like working from home or own business and decent time to chase your dealer for TSBs. Most Mazda dealers don't like doing TSBs and Mazda uses TSBs instead of recalls even for important issues like brakes. Plus if there is a dispute Mazda will avoid responsibility and ask you to get second opinion from another Mazda dealer. Been there done that. If you are doing 100% of all maintenance then it may work out.

I checked a Phoenix dealer and noticed under their inventory they have a icon Get Price. I would suggest the following:

1. Hit Get Price and request an Out The Door Price. Then, you can drive there and road test to see if you want to buy. You want a price with NO trade.

2. If you plan to trade, get a price locally from 2-3 sources as 2 what they would pay to buy your trade. This would give you an idea of value so the dealer doesn't low ball the trade.

3. In Florida, it was better to trade. The dealer offered me $500 less than the other 3 sources. However, the 6.5% sales tax is calculated on the net price after trade which was $851 plus $500 if I traded a car.

As to your other question, I have purchased cars from far away dealers and it is tough to plan to drive 100 miles for an oil change. I would suggest you talk to a local shop and ask if you bring Mazda oil and filter will they change the oil for the labor charge. Explain the problem and I am sure a shop will help you out. You can order the oil over the internet.

Good luck.

Thanks, Fiver. Sounds like a plan. I think I will be waiting until November to start the process and if I can't get a price I like, I'll wait until December.

Dont know if you plan to finance or lease. Currently finance has 0.90% for up to 5 years on cx5s.
leasing rates for anything besides gtr and sig is almost 0 at the moment from mazda capital.
gtr and sig leasing % rate comes to about 2.4%.
There are a few rebates as well for gtr and sig in the 500 range.
loyalty rebate 750 if family owns another mazda.
All that is for the phoenix zip codes I tried. Probably applies to Flagstaff too.

I"ve had my Cx5 for 1 year now and have been only 2 times for a recall and fixing a know issue leak. My dealer is 50 mins drive, not 2 hrs still but kinda of not close as well :)
Hope this helps.

Hi everyone. I'm new here, but have been lurking for a few weeks since my wife and I decided our first new car in 12 years will be a CX-5. In the next month or so, we would like to buy a Signature or Reserve, but the problem is that there is no Mazda dealer in Flagstaff, AZ. It closed down about 18 months ago. Bad sign???

There is a dealer in Prescott, about 60 miles away, but customers aren't very happy there. The next dealer with good reviews is 125 miles away in the Phoenix area.

We'll be keeping our 12 year-old Prius which has been absolutely wonderful and dumping our 20 year-old Jeep Grand Cherokee which has been a super vehicle as well, but it's time for it to go.

I am about 90% of the way to accepting the occasional long drive for service, but am wondering if anyone here has done something similar. Will I regret doing this? I really do not want a Forester (great Subaru dealer here) or a CR-V (good Toyota dealer here as well) as they, well, kinda suck in the category of "driving experience".

What say you?

Thanks,
Jim

I'd not buy a vehicle with a 2hr drive to the dealer.

Dont know if you plan to finance or lease. Currently finance has 0.90% for up to 5 years on cx5s.
leasing rates for anything besides gtr and sig is almost 0 at the moment from mazda capital.
gtr and sig leasing % rate comes to about 2.4%.
There are a few rebates as well for gtr and sig in the 500 range.
loyalty rebate 750 if family owns another mazda.
All that is for the phoenix zip codes I tried. Probably applies to Flagstaff too.

I"ve had my Cx5 for 1 year now and have been only 2 times for a recall and fixing a know issue leak. My dealer is 50 mins drive, not 2 hrs still but kinda of not close as well :)
Hope this helps.

Yes, helpful, thanks. We plan on buying and I know about the .9% financing that I assume will carry thru the end of the year. I am hoping for a better rebate in Nov/Dec or at least better deals on the lot. Maybe nothing will change between now and the end of the year, but I expect that the deals will sweeten a little. Unfortunately we don't qualify for the Mazda loyalty rebate.

I'd not buy a vehicle with a 2hr drive to the dealer.

Well, maybe it will only be an hour. Even if it's a two hour drive a couple of times a year I'm thinking I would rather drive a few hours every year than regret not buying the car we want every time we drive the compromise car. Believe me, it is a tough decision. That's why I started this thread to ask how crazy the it would be to do something like that. I'm getting answers from both sides which is good.

Well, maybe it will only be an hour. Even if it's a two hour drive a couple of times a year I'm thinking I would rather drive a few hours every year than regret not buying the car we want every time we drive the compromise car. Believe me, it is a tough decision. That's why I started this thread to ask how crazy the it would be to do something like that. I'm getting answers from both sides which is good.

I'd do an hour.

Mazdas have a good reputation for reliability so hopefully you wouldn't be making runs for warranty repairs. I'd do it but make the dealer allow you (in writing) to get oil changes locally. Mine is an hour and a half away. I'd rather make the run every 5k than buy something I wasn't happy with.

Mazdas have a good reputation for reliability so hopefully you wouldn't be making runs for warranty repairs. I'd do it but make the dealer allow you (in writing) to get oil changes locally. Mine is an hour and a half away. I'd rather make the run every 5k than buy something I wasn't happy with.

Does your dealer require you to get oil changes from them? That must be a Colombia thing.

Why do you need permission, or it in writing? It is against the law for them to make you get oil changes and service at the dealer. Youre free to get oil changes anywhere, just keep the documentation. No problem, thats what a glove box or a file folder is good for.

Thanks, Pitter. I'm starting to be firmly in the camp of buy what we want and drive for service once in a while. Local oil changes is a good idea and shouldn't be a problem for the dealer. BTW, I spent 2 years in Colombia in the 70s while in the Peace Corps. One of those years was in Buenaventura doing fisheries work. I spent as much time in Cali as I could. Wonderful city.

Back