2013~2016 New-to-me 2013 CX-5 - Maintenance baseline

Mr5ive

Mr5ive
:
'13 CX5 Touring
After 13 1/2 years of owning manual trans Mazda5s, I just picked up a 2013 CX-5 AWD Touring with 90k miles. Although the car seems well cared for and the seller seemed honest, I don't have a real maintenance history on the car. I've read through many of the postings on here, and put together the following list of general maintenance items to tackle in order to reset the maintenance schedule to zero:

Definite:
Oil/Filter change
Engine Air Filter
Cabin Air Filter
Spark plugs
Rear differential and transfer case fluid
Brake fluid flush

Probable:
Auto trans fluid
Serpentine belt
Water pump belt

I'll be doing all of this myself. (The only time my previous Mazda5s saw a professional mechanic were for recall work and for the clutch master.)

I'm on the fence about the ATF, since it already has 90k and doesn't exhibit any weird noises or hard shifts. I have half a mind to leave well enough alone. The other half says do it anyway.

As for the diff and transfer case, there don't seem to be a lot of options for 80w90 gear lube, and almost zero synthetic options. Any input on a particular brand of gear oil?

Anything on my list that should not be there?

Anything not on my list that should be there?

Thanks in advance.

After 13 1/2 years of owning manual trans Mazda5s, I just picked up a 2013 CX-5 AWD Touring with 90k miles. Although the car seems well cared for and the seller seemed honest, I don't have a real maintenance history on the car. I've read through many of the postings on here, and put together the following list of general maintenance items to tackle in order to reset the maintenance schedule to zero:

Definite:
Oil/Filter change
Engine Air Filter
Cabin Air Filter
Spark plugs
Rear differential and transfer case fluid
Brake fluid flush

Probable:
Auto trans fluid
Serpentine belt
Water pump belt

I'll be doing all of this myself. (The only time my previous Mazda5s saw a professional mechanic were for recall work and for the clutch master.)

I'm on the fence about the ATF, since it already has 90k and doesn't exhibit any weird noises or hard shifts. I have half a mind to leave well enough alone. The other half says do it anyway.

As for the diff and transfer case, there don't seem to be a lot of options for 80w90 gear lube, and almost zero synthetic options. Any input on a particular brand of gear oil?

Anything on my list that should not be there?

Anything not on my list that should be there?

Thanks in advance.

I like your list, and agree with your ATF feelings. If it were mine, I would postpone ATF.

For the Transfer/Rear Diff, I would use the FACTORY fluid for your drain and refill.

Use the NGK plugs that match the OEM NGK's.

I would run a good quality fuel injector cleaner for 2 tanks in a row.

ENJOY! (wrc)

I like your list, and agree with your ATF feelings. If it were mine, I would postpone ATF.

BMW is also pushing the "lifetime fluid" KoolAid. I've begrudgingly gone along with it for the two auto-trans BMWs I've had. I went as far as buying a new filter, magnets, gasket and ATF for a 740i that I bought with 115k miles. I ended up not doing it and sold it at 167k with no trans problems. Our current 323i was bought with 90k and now has 144k with no trans issues. [knocking wood]

I'll probably take a look/smell at the ATF on the CX-5's dipstick before making a final decision. Despite having examples of "lifetime fluid" success right under my nose, it just feels wrong to me. (rolleyes)

Back