Hand Break Comes On In Park

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
I notice that the electric hand break sometimes comes on when I put the transmission in park and other times does not. It's no problem of course but I wonder why the variance.

Do you mean it sometimes comes on all by itself, or that there are times you cannot get it to turn on by manually engaging the switch?

I see nothing in my U.S. manual that indicates this brake self-engages.

It should not do that. If you mean it doesn't engage when you tug the switch make sure your foot is on the brake.

I mean it sometimes seems to engage by its self when I put it in park but maybe I'm doing something I don't realize which must be it as you've all confirmed it shouldn't engage with out my doing so.

Unless auto-engaging is a regional requirement, I doubt there's anything you are doing, unless you press the switch without realizing it.

Sounds like something's not right.

Are you using the Auto Hold function?

From the manual:
If any of the following conditions occurs while the AUTOHOLD function is operating (AUTOHOLD active indicator light is turned on), the parking brake is applied automatically and the AUTOHOLD function turns off. For the Electric Parking Brake (EPB) operation, refer to the Electric Parking Brake (EPB) on page 4-94.

-The ignition is switched OFF.
-There is a problem with the AUTOHOLD function.

I agree it is the auto hold function that causes this. I experience it quite often. It seems that if auto hold is on, your foot is on the brake, the car is put in park and then shut off, that the parking brake applies. Everyone do some experimenting today to confirm/dispel that the parking brake applies when doing this!

Here's how it works on my US 17. If auto hold is ON and you remove your seatbelt before you turn off the ignition, the EPB will engage automatically. If you turn off the ignition first, it will not. If auto hold is not on, it will not.

its the auto hold as others suggested.

If its on and you turn to park and keep pressing the break pedal shortly after it will engage EPB automatically. then you can turn engine off.
its quite useful and I use it a lot.

Ah ha, thanks guys that explains it, much appreciated.

Back