CX-9 Automatic Climate Control doesn't work on warm startup

I have a 2016 CX-9 that I've had since it was new. If you turn on the car again a few hours after it was running, about half of the time the HVAC fan goes full blast as it tries to 'cool' the car to the set point, even when the inside of the car is fine and doesn't need cooling. This is correlated with the OUTSIDE temperature reading, showing typically around 29 degrees celsius. It did that today and it was probably 10 degrees outside. After a couple minutes or so of driving, the outside temperature gauge slowly adjusts to the proper temperature and the fan and all the vent settings go back to a normal level.

It appears that perhaps the engine's temperature is affecting the outside temperature gauge and the car uses that along with the inside temperature gauge to figure out how best to cool the car. I've had it at the dealership twice with this issue, even keeping it there for a few days but they don't see the issue or don't see it as an issue.

I had a 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 before and the temperature stayed on auto through the whole year without the need to fiddle with it. On the CX-9, it just sucks.

Ideas?

I have a 2016 CX-9 that I've had since it was new. If you turn on the car again a few hours after it was running, about half of the time the HVAC fan goes full blast as it tries to 'cool' the car to the set point, even when the inside of the car is fine and doesn't need cooling. This is correlated with the OUTSIDE temperature reading, showing typically around 29 degrees celsius. It did that today and it was probably 10 degrees outside. After a couple minutes or so of driving, the outside temperature gauge slowly adjusts to the proper temperature and the fan and all the vent settings go back to a normal level.

It appears that perhaps the engine's temperature is affecting the outside temperature gauge and the car uses that along with the inside temperature gauge to figure out how best to cool the car. I've had it at the dealership twice with this issue, even keeping it there for a few days but they don't see the issue or don't see it as an issue.

I had a 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 before and the temperature stayed on auto through the whole year without the need to fiddle with it. On the CX-9, it just sucks.

Ideas?

My TB does the same thing, imagine I'm living in the middle east where I only see sub 30 deg C temps during winter. It goes full blast even after just 2 to 3 mins from turning off... :D

I don't think my 2018 has ever done this. If you're not happy with the answers you're getting from the dealer, contact Mazda Corporate and see if they can get something going. If there is an issue with the car, it's possible that the dealer you're going to is staffed with lazy techs, and a call from Mazda Corporate may get them to get off their asses to take a more serious look. I might also consider going to a different Mazda dealer to see what they say.

Mine does this after sitting in the hot garage. I think it is just a sensor feeding the computer incorrect data. The car thinks its really hot outside and will try to cool the interior down because that is what the sensor is telling it. Once I start driving and the OAT sensor reads the correct temp its all back to normal.

Back