New 2019 CX-5 Owner (Almost)

:
2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD Grand Touring
So, don't make fun of me, but those that have followed some of my posts here have seen the trouble I've been having with my used 2018 CX-5 that I've had for 1 month now. Short story, I bought it from Carmax, it had 17K on it, I've put about 1500 miles on it since then, I've had it 1 month. It's a 2018 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD. However, I've had a myriad of issues.

1.) I posted a thread about my broken parking sensor accessory package on the car

2.) I posted a thread worried about sudden acceleration/lunging issues as well as posted that I'm having the major jerkiness issue at low speeds (0-10MPH) like you are towing a trailer, and the car seems to be very jerky feeling with the transmission.

3.) I posted a thread about my infotainment system completely freezing up for no reason last week

So I did something radical today. I went to the Mazda dealership itself, and I bought a new car. :eek:

I bought a 2019 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD with the GT Premium Package, and I also added a bunch of accessories to it like the roof rails, interior lighting kit, rear bumper guard, cargo cover, splash guards, all weather rubber mats and cargo mat, reverse parking sensors.

So it'll be brand spanking new. It's the first car I've ever bought new. Now, some may ask, why not go for the 2020 model, believe you me, I wanted the 2020, but our dealership said they aren't expecting them until March or April next year, right now there are lots of 2019's on the lot and there's a dealer savings discount, and manufacturer discount with really good interest rate for finincing on them right now. So I'll be happy with the 2019. Also, I did not want the Turbo, I know it's an engine option on the Reserve and standard on the Signature, but honestly, I don't need it, plus it costs more, I needed to keep the cost down. I think the regular engine has plenty of power personally.

So there we have it, hopefully the little gremlins I was experiencing won't be present on the new 2019.

I take posession of my car next Tuesday, October 22nd. I'll be a brand new 2019 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD owner :p

Last edited:
It is unfortanate, I should mention I did try to fix the issues, and I did the official manufacturer recall on the cylinder deactivation issue. I had also got a new engine and cabin air filter, and tire rotation and had it looked over by the mechanic and even driven to see if there was anything they could do about the jerkiness issue. So I certainly gave it my all.

Congratulations on a great decision. I'm sure you'll have fewer issues with a new one. Your experience is why I never buy used.

no turbo because you wanted to keep costs down..then splurged with all those accessories?

That's what I was thinking.. but congrats on the purchase anyway.

I have to ask though, if you wanted to keep the cost down, why didn't you shop around for a used/CPO 2018 or 2019 model? From what I've heard, the only reason to buy a 2019 is to get the turbo option. You probably would have saved a bunch of money if you had waited for the 2020 to hit the lots too. IMO it would have been worth putting up with your old CX-5 for a few months to save a bunch of cash.

Regardless, I hope the one you bought is problem free! Check the VIN on mazdarecallinfo.com to make sure it's had the CD recall done, and enjoy it!

Also, you were misinformed, the turbo is standard on both the Reserve and Signature, it is not an option on the Reserve. Smart move by Mazda.

no turbo because you wanted to keep costs down..then splurged with all those accessories?

Also came to say this. You easily could have gone up trim and gotten the turbo by just saying NO to half those accessories.

I'm also shocked all the issues you had with the other one... and decided to buy another one?!?! Pretty sure that would have turned me off the brand. and I'd be shopping elsewhere. Something Mazda speaks to this man. :D

Also came to say this. You easily could have gone up trim and gotten the turbo by just saying NO to half those accessories.

I'm also shocked all the issues you had with the other one... and decided to buy another one?!?! Pretty sure that would have turned me off the brand. and I'd be shopping elsewhere. Something Mazda speaks to this man. :D

Same. I'd try a Stelvio Ti w/AWD. If we had an Alfa dealer near me, it woulda been a real hard decision.

So, don't make fun of me, but those that have followed some of my posts here have seen the trouble I've been having with my used 2018 CX-5 that I've had for 1 month now. Short story, I bought it from Carmax, it had 17K on it, I've put about 1500 miles on it since then, I've had it 1 month. It's a 2018 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD. However, I've had a myriad of issues.

1.) I posted a thread about my broken parking sensor accessory package on the car

2.) I posted a thread worried about sudden acceleration/lunging issues as well as posted that I'm having the major jerkiness issue at low speeds (0-10MPH) like you are towing a trailer, and the car seems to be very jerky feeling with the transmission.

3.) I posted a thread about my infotainment system completely freezing up for no reason last week

So I did something radical today. I went to the Mazda dealership itself, and I bought a new car. :eek:

I bought a 2019 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD with the GT Premium Package, and I also added a bunch of accessories to it like the roof rails, interior lighting kit, rear bumper guard, cargo cover, splash guards, all weather rubber mats and cargo mat, reverse parking sensors.

So it'll be brand spanking new. It's the first car I've ever bought new. Now, some may ask, why not go for the 2020 model, believe you me, I wanted the 2020, but our dealership said they aren't expecting them until March or April next year, right now there are lots of 2019's on the lot and there's a dealer savings discount, and manufacturer discount with really good interest rate for finincing on them right now. So I'll be happy with the 2019. Also, I did not want the Turbo, I know it's an engine option on the Reserve and standard on the Signature, but honestly, I don't need it, plus it costs more, I needed to keep the cost down. I think the regular engine has plenty of power personally.

So there we have it, hopefully the little gremlins I was experiencing won't be present on the new 2019.

I take posession of my car next Tuesday, October 22nd. I'll be a brand new 2019 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD owner :p

The turbo is not an engine option on the Reserve, it's standard.

Well it would have been more with the accessories + turbo. The fact is, I don't need the turbo. I feel the regular engine is powerful enough for me. It adds cost, and potential issues or more maintenance down the road. I plan to keep this car for a very long time. Also, the car did come with a few of the accessories on it already anyway, I just added a few more, but a few of those already came with the car.

That's what I was thinking.. but congrats on the purchase anyway.

I have to ask though, if you wanted to keep the cost down, why didn't you shop around for a used/CPO 2018 or 2019 model? From what I've heard, the only reason to buy a 2019 is to get the turbo option. You probably would have saved a bunch of money if you had waited for the 2020 to hit the lots too. IMO it would have been worth putting up with your old CX-5 for a few months to save a bunch of cash.

Regardless, I hope the one you bought is problem free! Check the VIN on mazdarecallinfo.com to make sure it's had the CD recall done, and enjoy it!

Thank you, I will enjoy it. Though I wanted to keep the cost down, I could still afford it brand new through the dealership. I wanted a brand new un-driven car for a change. I decided to just do it while I can. It's not like I'm stuck with it forever, but I do plan to drive it for a very long time, will probably pay it off and drive without a car payment for a little while, so this is a long term car for me.

I would have loved a 2020 model, but it's just too far away. The issue is I needed to tackle this before December. Also, I needed to sell my current car back to Carmax and pay off that loan, so I needed to do it asap so I can get the most for it and not add a lot of miles to it, reducing the value. Right now I'll get enough back to pay the loan off. So it's a bit of a timing issue.

I will check the VIN, thanks, does the 2019 have the cylinder deactivation recall as well? I thought it was just 2018.

The decision to buy another CX-5 was an easy one.

Before this, I went and test drove a lot of other cars. I was thinking maybe I'd like a Forester, or maybe the new RAV4 etc... However, after test driving them, and then driving my CX-5, I realized, I like the driving dynamics of hte CX-5 a LOT better. It is more planted, and connected with the road. It doesn't waddle like a boat (the forester was like driving a boat on water) and the RAV4 was like driving on pillows. I also didn't like the way the hood on both cars came up on the sides, the hood and front end was so big in front of me it was harder to see the road in front of and around the car. I like the hood on the CX-5 cause it slopes down, I can just see the road better and where the car is. But really it just came down to how the car drives, the CX-5 is just miles better, for me, I sit up high, I like the position I sit in, I feel like I'm in command of the car, steering is very responsive, the car feels so much better on the road to me. I also like the size of hte CX-5, I like a smaller car, the others were too big for me, the CX-5 is the right length for me.

So basically I came at this with an informed decision after test driving multiple other cars, the CX-5 is the right car for me. I just needed a new one :p

And again on the accessories, the car did come with a few of those things, I added a few more, overall it wasn't a lot more money, the turbo would have cost me more and I don't need it.

Also, you were misinformed, the turbo is standard on both the Reserve and Signature, it is not an option on the Reserve. Smart move by Mazda.

Gotcha, then I made the right decision. Grand Touring with GT Premium Package comes with everything the Reserved and Signature has, minus the 360 camera and Turbo, so I'm good.

I will check the VIN, thanks, does the 2019 have the cylinder deactivation recall as well? I thought it was just 2018.

I think the recall applies to all CD vehicles, but since yours will be brand new, they probably ensure that the software update is applied before it goes on the boat. Doesn't hurt to check to be sure though.

Sadly, you*ll likely still have infotainment system problems. In the three months of owning my 2019 Reserve, I*ve had *SiriusXM tuner not found* twice, the system reboot itself while driving once, and two instances of the Nav system cursor not moving after a stop twice (fixed with a manual reboot). The latter two problems were ones I*ve had sporadically on my 2016 GT.

The decision to buy another CX-5 was an easy one.
Brent, if you wanted to find out why you bought the wrong vehicle, with the wrong features, for the wrong price, at the wrong time; and that you really don't know what you want, and what you should want, and what's good for you; and what could have been and what will be... you came to the right place.

Enjoy your new ride!

Back