when does low fuel indicator come on?

So the past few tanks I've been filling up when it says anywhere from 2-10 miles to empty. When I filled up this evening it was indicating 2 mile range left. Just like the last few fill ups I put int 13.5 gallons. Does this mean there are almost 2 more gallons left in the tank that the miles to go indicator is ignoring (I have the Reserve so it's a 15.3 gallon tank)? If that's the case I'm guessing when it says 0 we probably have at least another 20-30 miles to go before it's really empty. I honestly thought that the tank was only 13.5 gallons because that's about what I've been filling up with the whole time.

yes, it's a safety measure so people don't wait until the last drop to refuel

There was a heated discussion already of the downsides (or lack thereof) on fuel pump life when letting the fuel level get too low.

I'm surprised this conversation has not resurrected it.

It*s not like I run it empty every time. I just try not to do like my dad and fill up as soon as it gets down to half. He used to gate so stressed when it got less than 3/4 full.

So the past few tanks I've been filling up when it says anywhere from 2-10 miles to empty. When I filled up this evening it was indicating 2 mile range left. Just like the last few fill ups I put int 13.5 gallons. Does this mean there are almost 2 more gallons left in the tank that the miles to go indicator is ignoring (I have the Reserve so it's a 15.3 gallon tank)? If that's the case I'm guessing when it says 0 we probably have at least another 20-30 miles to go before it's really empty. I honestly thought that the tank was only 13.5 gallons because that's about what I've been filling up with the whole time.

That's a good question.

I never tried to see if "Miles Left" ever made any sense. I always get gas when I'm under 1/4 tank by the gauge. I'm in the sticks...no gas stations real close to me so I don't really let it get on fumes.

It*s not like I run it empty every time. I just try not to do like my dad and fill up as soon as it gets down to half. He used to gate so stressed when it got less than 3/4 full.

That's interesting. Did he ever give a reason? There used to be some concern that too much air in the tank increased the risk of condensation. You don't hear folks talk about that so much these days. Maybe he lived through rationing.

That's interesting. Did he ever give a reason? There used to be some concern that too much air in the tank increased the risk of condensation. You don't hear folks talk about that so much these days. Maybe he lived through rationing.
My dad lived through the Korean War. Costco was the worst thing that ever happened to our family. He used to store cases of spam and engine oil in the basement. Funny thing is, we never used to change our own oil. It was used to just top off.

My dad lived through the Korean War. Costco was the worst thing that ever happened to our family. He used to store cases of spam and engine oil in the basement. Funny thing is, we never used to change our own oil. It was used to just top off.

My dad was a bit older than yours...WW2 vet.

My mother was British...lived through all the shortages over there. Believe me, I understand.

I was so glad when the term "prepping" came about...lent some dignity to my inherited habits ;)

Looking at youtube videos of people driving after "0 miles to empty" here's what the results were:
A ford sedan 35 miles at 15.8 MPG so it had 2.2 gallons after it said 0 miles.
A BMW went 22 miles at 18 MPG so it had 1.2 gallons left.
An unknown sedan went 43 miles. I couldn't see the MPG so I don't how many gallons they had.
A Ford F-150 went 49.2 miles at 20.9 MPG so it had 2.3 gallons left.
An Audi went 24 miles which meant it had 1 gallon left.
A Kia optima went 28 miles. I don't what MPG it got but it's rated for 28 city, 37 highway so it probably had around a gallon left.

Looking at youtube videos of people driving after "0 miles to empty" here's what the results were:
A ford sedan 35 miles at 15.8 MPG so it had 2.2 gallons after it said 0 miles.
A BMW went 22 miles at 18 MPG so it had 1.2 gallons left.
An unknown sedan went 43 miles. I couldn't see the MPG so I don't how many gallons they had.
A Ford F-150 went 49.2 miles at 20.9 MPG so it had 2.3 gallons left.
An Audi went 24 miles which meant it had 1 gallon left.
A Kia optima went 28 miles. I don't what MPG it got but it's rated for 28 city, 37 highway so it probably had around a gallon left.

That's very interesting - thanks for posting this Mike. I guess we can "assume" we got at least 10-15 miles (probably 20-30) left before we're really in trouble then. I don't like to risk it though, ran out of gas one time in high school and had to walk a ways to find a gas station...lol - don't want to do that again!

Maybe I missed it, but I don't think anyone has mentioned that the miles remaining changes from tank to tank if your average mileage for the current tank varies.

I filled up today, and it told me I had 291 miles remaining on the new tank, because I averaged about 20 on the last tank. I sometimes see 360.

The only thing for sure is that if you fill up any time before zero, you will not run out.

Back