2017~2024 Windshield Cracks Easily

My 2018 has taken a few rock hits to the windshield that I thought sure would result in a crack. The windshield seems more durable than other vehicles I have owned (Mustang, Toyota, HHR).

My 2018 has taken a few rock hits to the windshield that I thought sure would result in a crack. The windshield seems more durable than other vehicles I have owned (Mustang, Toyota, HHR).

This is up there with m.y domestics. I've only had 1 domestic windshield crack. Literally every import from Japan I've had goes through one, or has a crack st about every 30k miles.

Except this cx5. It's been stellar so far and taken some real hits. Hawk at 60mph was the last one, lol. BOOM!

Mazda front and side glass on the 17+ CX-5 is laminated (Lamisafe branding).

Mar 13, 2017 - Mazda says that the CX-5 accounts for a quarter of its total sales ... The front windows now use acoustic glass, which sandwiches sound-dampening vinyl in between the inner and outer glass. The windshield is slightly thicker.

The thread title is vague and could be worded better, but relevant as the Forester is a direct competitor to the CX-5.

I went through 3 windshields in my Chevy S-10 and 1 in my GMC Canyon.

Daggone perpetual construction in the DC area over the years, getting behind trucks that don't cover their load...mostly gravel falling out at highway speeds and bouncing up. What sucked is that I would wait months to get them fixed, knowing I was gonna pick up another rock...and I did, usually a few weeks after getting new glass.

I read about the older CX-5s' soft glass but have yet to take a hit in my Reserve.

Huh, with the thread title, I was expecting to hear Gen 2 owners complaining of easily cracked windshields which was a Gen 1 problem.

Glad to see that's not the case. Considering the NVH improvements on the Gen 2, I believe a much stronger windshield was part of that.

Back