Power Liftgate Help (First Gen)

:
2009 Mazda CX-9 GT
Got home Friday after work, press the liftgate button, and all I hear is bangin' and clangin'; the ballmount tore out and cracked the interior panel.....

Liftgate_007.JPG

Liftgate_013.JPG

Now to find somebody to weld the ballmount back in place.

Can anybody with a first gen confirm that this ballmount comes out at 90 degrees? Either an image or a verbal confirmation? The only reference I have is this image I got from Facebook of a similar repair:

Ball_Stud.JPG

This one appears to be at quite an angle, but it also is only tacked into place, so I suspect it isn't the final repair.

I don't have a first gen cx-9, but scoured auto trader for photos that might help you. To me it looks like the ball mount is mounted horizontally (or almost horizontally towards the passenger side).

b8b1a5bb-d303-470b-a6e0-a82b2ce3a913.jpg-1024x786.jpeg

00eaa534-26ce-4490-ab2d-91cfdff0f16d.jpg-1024x786.jpeg

Youri, thank you for your efforts. I did the same type of thing. Pretty sure I've seen every liftgate image on the net. LOL

I really need a close up of the mount to confirm/deny my thoughts.

Sorry for the late reply.... i'm sending you a pm for email. I'm happy to send photos of mine.
p.s. several years back this was a more prevailing topic. Seems like people who used the button a lot to close the gate had this happen eventually.
The metal on the liftgate shell fatigues and the ball & thread tears out. Your options are a complete liftgate replacement, or find a body shop
that is good at welding and will work with you to fabricate a solution to straighten the gate and weld the ball back in place somehow.

I replied to your PM helbigtw. I have a few mechanic friends, so one of them will easily repair this for me. We just need to confirm how the ballmount sits. Can't wait to get this fixed.

Back