Power Liftgate Help (First Gen)

:
2009 Mazda CX-9 GT
Got home Friday after work, press the liftgate button, and all I hear is bangin' and clangin'; the ballmount tore out and cracked the interior panel.....

Liftgate_007.JPG

Liftgate_013.JPG

Now to find somebody to weld the ballmount back in place.

Can anybody with a first gen confirm that this ballmount comes out at 90 degrees? Either an image or a verbal confirmation? The only reference I have is this image I got from Facebook of a similar repair:

Ball_Stud.JPG

This one appears to be at quite an angle, but it also is only tacked into place, so I suspect it isn't the final repair.

I don't have a first gen cx-9, but scoured auto trader for photos that might help you. To me it looks like the ball mount is mounted horizontally (or almost horizontally towards the passenger side).

b8b1a5bb-d303-470b-a6e0-a82b2ce3a913.jpg-1024x786.jpeg

00eaa534-26ce-4490-ab2d-91cfdff0f16d.jpg-1024x786.jpeg

Youri, thank you for your efforts. I did the same type of thing. Pretty sure I've seen every liftgate image on the net. LOL

I really need a close up of the mount to confirm/deny my thoughts.

Sorry for the late reply.... i'm sending you a pm for email. I'm happy to send photos of mine.
p.s. several years back this was a more prevailing topic. Seems like people who used the button a lot to close the gate had this happen eventually.
The metal on the liftgate shell fatigues and the ball & thread tears out. Your options are a complete liftgate replacement, or find a body shop
that is good at welding and will work with you to fabricate a solution to straighten the gate and weld the ball back in place somehow.

I replied to your PM helbigtw. I have a few mechanic friends, so one of them will easily repair this for me. We just need to confirm how the ballmount sits. Can't wait to get this fixed.

Latest posts

Back