2019 GTR First Oil Change Question (metal)

Just did the first oil change at 1600 miles. I noticed some metal in the oil drain pan. Not a ton, maybe like a small pinch of salt amount. Got bored and also tore down the oil filter (actually kinda meh construction imho). Kinda sparkly but not terrible, mostly settled on the bottom of the filter nothing as large as what was in the pan. Pan particles were about table salt size.

Mostly concerned about finding metal in the oil drain pan. I feel it's normal on the first oil change but this is only the second new car i've owned. Anyone else think it's normal/ not normal? Maybe more because it also has the turbo in it so more parts are seating themselves?

do used oil analysis and compare with the posts in the main thread.
Everything else is speculative.
Usually its normal although I havent seen anything visible in my first oil change but it did show elevated metals on my used oil analysis.

Just did the first oil change at 1600 miles. I noticed some metal in the oil drain pan. Not a ton, maybe like a small pinch of salt amount. Got bored and also tore down the oil filter (actually kinda meh construction imho). Kinda sparkly but not terrible, mostly settled on the bottom of the filter nothing as large as what was in the pan. Pan particles were about table salt size.

Mostly concerned about finding metal in the oil drain pan. I feel it's normal on the first oil change but this is only the second new car i've owned. Anyone else think it's normal/ not normal? Maybe more because it also has the turbo in it so more parts are seating themselves?
You shouldnt be able to see any metal from factory oil. Like cz5gt I havent seen anything like this from a few new cars Ive owned. IMO your description is not normal.

Yeah,send your oil sample for a UOA to get more accurate report of your drained oil.

Normal. A pinch of salt is nothing. Now if you'd said it was an entire shaker of salt, then I'd be alarmed. Sounds like the filter did it's job to me.

You shouldnt be able to see any metal from factory oil. Like cz5gt I havent seen anything like this from a few new cars Ive owned. IMO your description is not normal.

Yeah,send your oil sample for a UOA to get more accurate report of your drained oil.

On closer inspection is was actually mostly or all dirt. I was doing this at night so the lighting wasnt as good are during the day. I crushed a few pieces and they burst apart versus deformed. I did think it was very odd to see as they were small enough for me to think the filter would be able to pick them up and trap them especially given the turbulence inside the engine oil reservoir.

Will definitely clean out the oil drain pan better next oil change and see. I didnt keep the oil from this change to send out (put it the used oil can with all the other oils). I think I will next oil change.

Tearing down the Mazda OEM filter was interesting. Im not sure who said its highly rated or why. It definitely seemed middle of the road. I tore down a Honda A1 filter as well and it seemed to be better.

On closer inspection is was actually mostly or all dirt. I was doing this at night so the lighting wasn*t as good are during the day. I crushed a few pieces and they burst apart versus deformed. I did think it was very odd to see as they were small enough for me to think the filter would be able to pick them up and trap them especially given the turbulence inside the engine oil reservoir.

Will definitely clean out the oil drain pan better next oil change and see. I didn*t keep the oil from this change to send out (put it the used oil can with all the other oils). I think I will next oil change.

Tearing down the Mazda OEM filter was interesting. I*m not sure who said it*s highly rated or why. It definitely seemed middle of the road. I tore down a Honda A1 filter as well and it seemed to be better.

GTR I believe uses a different oil filter than the 2.5L non-turbo. The factory Tokyo Roki filters on the 2.5L are very well regarded here and on BITOG, etc.

You shouldn*t be able to *see* any metal from factory oil. Like cz5gt I haven*t seen anything like this from a few new cars I*ve owned. IMO your description is not normal.

I didn't comment on his post because nothing he said makes sense. It sounds like he removes the oil pan to change the oil which doesn't make sense. Plus like you said there should be no metal or dirt particles in the oil out of the pan unless they are unusually heavy or large. The oil in the pan is filtered oil.

No pics so can't see, but a little metal in the first oil change is not surprising. That's why I make the first change at 1000 miles.

Spoke to a friend who's a Mazda tech. He said the first oil change should not be done before 7,500 miles. According to him, the initial oil contains a very high concentration of moly, which is good for engine break-in ... and, yes, despite what Mazda says, there is a break-in period beyond what's stated in the manual.

Back