My infotainment mazda connect display system froze up on me today

:
2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD Grand Touring
So, this is new. Quick summary, got a 2018 CX-5 Grand Touring, 18K miles, I've had it 1 month.

Today, stop at shopping place, everything is fine, as normal when I turn the car off. 30 minutes later, turn the car on and the display display's the home screen and just sits there frozen. I cannot touch it to move it, none of my dials work to manipulate it, none of the buttons for music, home screen, favorites work. Even the radio is silent using the audio wheel. It's like the entire computer is frozen up. So I turn off the car, wait a few minutes and try again, and it's still locked up. I do this a few times, and no go. Then I figure to try something else, I hold the volume knob down for a while till the unit shuts off completely. It seems to reboot, and come back and works just fine.

So my question is, why for no reason did it lock up in the first place, and will it do it again?

Try updating your infotainment if it's not current and you can also disconnect and reconnect your battery as a "restart" for the vehicle.

So my question is, why for no reason did it lock up in the first place, and will it do it again?

Computers just freeze sometimes so it will probably happen again. my 2019 froze once and the instructions for rebooting it are "Press and hold the Back button, the Nav button, and the Mute button for at least 10 seconds".

That 30 min period is interesting.
Within 30 mins, Mazda Connects does not do a complete reboot. It reboot from cache (much like Sleep with your PC). Usually much quicker.
After 30 mins, it does a fresh reboot.
Within 30 mins, if the connected devices are different from when it was shut off. Your system might be searching for it.... says, Bluetooth, or else. It could get stuck.

I had an early '14 Mazda3. All my 3 Mazdas have been thru all sorts of issues....
My advice? Update it every time you visit a dealer.... tell them you ran into issues... whatever you can remember.
And, keep a note on what to do a soft reboot as you did. It might be helpful when it freezes again while driving... :)

So, this is new. Quick summary, got a 2018 CX-5 Grand Touring, 18K miles, I've had it 1 month.

Today, stop at shopping place, everything is fine, as normal when I turn the car off. 30 minutes later, turn the car on and the display display's the home screen and just sits there frozen. I cannot touch it to move it, none of my dials work to manipulate it, none of the buttons for music, home screen, favorites work. Even the radio is silent using the audio wheel. It's like the entire computer is frozen up. So I turn off the car, wait a few minutes and try again, and it's still locked up. I do this a few times, and no go. Then I figure to try something else, I hold the volume knob down for a while till the unit shuts off completely. It seems to reboot, and come back and works just fine.

This has happened to me twice in the 17 months that I've owned the vehicle. Pressing and holding the Back button, the Nav button, and the Mute button at the same time for at least 10 seconds will unlock the freeze.

I've had my XM alternate between failing to load/loading properly as I went from one store to the next shopping one day.

Once when it failed to load, I pulled over, turned off the engine, and restarted it. XM failed to load. I did the Turn Off/Restart twice, and XM failed to load. I drove home without it.

If it has failed to load one day, it always loads the next day (after having sat overnight) when I start it up.

I will say that it's been a while since it's failed to load. My continuing problem is that XM Voice Recognition does not load all the time.

I've never had a complete freeze.

Older thread, but just had this happen on my 2019 touring. Started car in garage, froze on icon screen, drive a few miles, turn off car and restart. Screen still frozen. Phone is connected via cable and Apple Music through my phone is playing on the car speakers, but no Siri. Try to reboot by pressing back, nav and mute buttons, still frozen. A few mins later screen goes black, Mazda logo comes on with spinning wheel and then everything comes back. Only thing I can think of is it started to do an update and froze, then once done it restarted. System screen only gives a version, not a date so can’t tell if it’s a new update.

I have about 15 days left on my cpo warranty, but not sure if infotainment is covered.

Last edited:
if you have never updated it, go do it. There was an update that dealed with that issue if I recall. That year CX5 doesnt auto update on its own, no over the air updates.

Latest version is v74..xyz, anything v70..xyz.. and v54..xyz... is too old.
You can ask the dealer under the cpo or try on your own.

if you have never updated it, go do it. There was an update that dealed with that issue if I recall. That year CX5 doesnt auto update on its own, no over the air updates.

Latest version is v74..xyz, anything v70..xyz.. and v54..xyz... is too old.
You can ask the dealer under the cpo or try on your own.
I’m running v74.

is it 74.00..311? Thats latest if I recall. If not - update.

if it is 74..311 then could be one of the following:
sd card if you have one
infotainment was getting low on space
bad circuit on the motherboard or mmc. The old gen6 use old school mmc cards.
new bug

is it 74.00..311? Thats latest if I recall. If not - update.

if it is 74..311 then could be one of the following:
sd card if you have one
infotainment was getting low on space
bad circuit on the motherboard or mmc. The old gen6 use old school mmc cards.
new bug
This is what I have. Do dealers update for free or do I have to pay some diagnostic fee when I tell them screen froze?

Attachments

• IMG_0834.jpeg
    IMG_0834.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 26
Back