Extended Warranty

Can someone explain to me why someone would buy a 7 year/100,000 mile on a brand new car? They have 3 year/36,000 mile coverage from the manufacturer. Doesn't this reduce the 3 year/36,000 mile extended warranty to 4 year/64,000? Why not wait until close to either the 3 year or 36,000 mile is about to expire and get an addition 7 years or 100,000 additional miles?

The first 3 year/36,000 under the extended provides no coverage as Mazda covers it.

When is Mazda going to offer their own extended warranty? When I get a CX-5, I'd love to get a warranty for it but the idea of having to go thru a 3rd party seems like a hassle.

With Honda, you're given a limited amount of time(think 90 days) to get an extended warranty from the time of purchase.

Last edited:
When is Mazda going to offer their own extended warranty? When I get a CX-5, I'd love to get a warranty for it but the idea of having to go thru a 3rd party seems like a hassle.

With Honda, you're given a limited amount of time(think 90 days) to get an extended warranty from the time of purchase.

I wouldn't buy one, but I am surprised Mazda does not have an in-house extended warranty.

Can someone explain to me why someone would buy a 7 year/100,000 mile on a brand new car? They have 3 year/36,000 mile coverage from the manufacturer. Doesn't this reduce the 3 year/36,000 mile extended warranty to 4 year/64,000? Why not wait until close to either the 3 year or 36,000 mile is about to expire and get an addition 7 years or 100,000 additional miles?

The first 3 year/36,000 under the extended provides no coverage as Mazda covers it.

Because the price is much higher if you wait, and/or the coverages are shrank.

The one my dealership sold me is just as good as a Mazda one. Dealership treats it the same, and it's on my service file. I do absolutely NOTHING to avail myself of it. It's all automatic.

Mazda DOES offer extended warranties:
https://www.mazdausa.com/mazda-extended-confidence

Some dealers instead sell 3rd party warranties that often are more profitable to them. I*d avoid them and dealers that only offer them. The Mazda Extended Confidence warranties pick up where the factory warranties end and are priced appropriately. They are honored at all Mazda dealers, including ones that sell only third party policies.

Pro tip: Pay about half what they offer them for or decline. You can always shop around via email to get a good quote and any Mazda dealer can sell them to you.

Also, make sure to get $0 deductible, or prepare to pay deductible 2x for most covered repairs - once for *diagnosis*, and once for fix.

Now, sit back and watch this thread turn into a *religious* argument on whether one should get one or not.

Last edited:
Is it good at any Mazda dealer in the country?

Yes, but has a $100 or something deductible if I go elsewhere. At the dealer that sold it to me, it's $0 ded. I could have paid a couple hundred more and gotten 0 at all dealers, but didn't see the point.

Some dealers instead sell 3rd party warranties that often are more profitable to them. I*d avoid them and dealers that only offer them. The Mazda Extended Confidence warranties pick up where the factory warranties end and are priced appropriately. They are honored at all Mazda dealers, including ones that sell only third party policies.

Pro tip: Pay about half what they offer them for or decline. You can always shop around via email to get a good quote and any Mazda dealer can sell them to you.

Also, make sure to get $0 deductible, or prepare to pay deductible 2x for most covered repairs - once for *diagnosis*, and once for fix.

Now, sit back and watch this thread turn into a *religious* argument on whether one should get one or not.

Since it is transferable and good at any dealer in the country, the factory one might be a good deal if you could really get half off. Do you mind saying what you paid for it and how long the coverage is?

Their extended warranty is very weak, only going to 100K miles.

Because on my last car, out-of-warranty repairs BEFORE 100,000km would have cost me well over what I paid for for the warranty.

Cars and my iPhone are the only two things I buy Extended warranties on.

I agree with Paulzooms - I paid 50% off their price for the extended warranty on my car. I wouldn't ever pay full price for it.

I'd rather get an extended warranty than all those crappy-looking add-on's people add on to the car.

As a rule of thumb, a good price on an ext warranty is about 50% of MSRP.
Personally I won't buy one.
Did that twice in the past. Never got my money's worth back even with my problematic BMW 540iA. Real piece of engineering.... so many issues. A great drive, nonetheless.

Last edited:
As a rule of thumb, a good price on an ext warranty is about 50% of MSRP.
Personally I won't buy one.
Did that twice in the past. Never got my money's worth back even with my problematic BMW 540iA. Real piece of engineering.... so many issues. A great drive, nonetheless.

I can see the value, but only if it's priced fairly, fully transferable (so you could potentially recover some of the expense with resale), and usable nationwide. If you're keeping the vehicle long term, making the resale point moot, then you need to be putting a lot of miles on the car for the numbers to work.

On the BMWs, they sell runflat protection plans as well to deal with the expensive, proprietary runflat tires that get damaged easily. Another joy of modern BMW ownership.

Also, when I think of protection plans, it brings to mind mob overtones. It'd be a shame if anything happened to that Mazda... you might want this protection.

If want virtually free extended protection against expensive repairs move your auto insurance to GEICO, if you can. They offer "mechanical breakdown insurance" on vehicles less than 15 months with under 15K miles. It covers almost everything, sometimes more than dealer warranties, for about $35/year, with a $250 deductible for 7 years/100,000 miles. It's good for repairs ANYWHERE, including the dealer. Before you complain about the deductible, understand that you're paying a few hundred dollars over 7 years, cancelable at any time, rather than $2,000+ up front.

The Mazda extended warranty doesn*t give you a extra 7 years. The 7 years is from the date you purchased the car at. So in saying that you would get 4 years extra comprehensive and a extra 2 years power train.
Ask me how I know ;).
Working in the field for the past 11 years I would never buy extended warranty.

Working in the field for the past 11 years I would never buy extended warranty.

My brother was a mechanic his whole life and owned his own shop for most of those years. He agrees with you.

Back