Wheel Locks - 2019 CX-5

I just purchased a 2019 CX-5 GT in Deep Crystal Blue. I'm picking it up this coming Saturday. The car comes with wheel locks which I got the dealer to throw-in because I didn't want them in the first place ... they're a real PITA, particularly if the key is misplaced or lost. I actually told the sales guy that I'd walk if they didn't include them because I wasn't going to pay for something I didn't want or need. A case of principle over price. Anyway, I don't see any real need for wheel locks in this day and age. Does anyone think that wheel locks are necessary?

I made my salesman throw-in 4 extra chrome lug nuts to replace the locks. Yeah, I still ended-up paying for the over-priced and useless locks, but I refused to pay again for the original nuts. While I was replacing/installing them, I checked the torque on the other lugs and found they were too loose.

Last edited:
I made my salesman throw-in 4 extra chrome lug nuts to replace the locks. Yeah, I still ended-up paying for the over-priced and useless locks, but I refused to pay again for the original nuts. While I was replacing/installing them, I checked the torque on the other lugs and found they were too loose.

I thought that the dealer is supposed to give you the original lug nuts when you pick up the car ... usually left in the glove box.

The dealership provided free wheel locks with my CX5. The four lug nuts removed to accommodate the lock nuts were in the glove box. When you pick up your new CX5 I would make sure that you get the lug nuts before you leave the dealership. As soon as I got home the lock nuts were removed. As noted in a previous post if someone wants to steal your wheels they have the tools to do it. Besides, it is too easy to lose or strip the key lug adapter.

Wade

I have asked my salesperson to have service put on the original lug nuts and leave the wheel locks and key in the glove box before I pick up the car tomorrow. I don't believe that thieves would want to take OEM rims from a Mazda SUV. If I were buying a Ferrari, perhaps it would be different.

As soon as I get the chance, I'm removing mine.

I can envision trying to change a tire on a chilly rainy night and having to screw with those things.

If someone were so desperate as to steel wheels off of a Mazda, I'd probably feel so bad for the guy I'd hand him a twenty.

I just purchased a 2019 CX-5 GT in Deep Crystal Blue. I'm picking it up this coming Saturday. The car comes with wheel locks which I got the dealer to throw-in because I didn't want them in the first place ... they're a real PITA, particularly if the key is misplaced or lost. I actually told the sales guy that I'd walk if they didn't include them because I wasn't going to pay for something I didn't want or need. A case of principle over price. Anyway, I don't see any real need for wheel locks in this day and age. Does anyone think that wheel locks are necessary?

Why would you walk over wheel locks when you don't even want them?? Am I missing something??

Why would you walk over wheel locks when you don't even want them?? Am I missing something??

I think he means they includes them as a default and charge for them.

He did not negotiate their inclusion, he negotiated not paying for them.

I thought that the dealer is supposed to give you the original lug nuts when you pick up the car ... usually left in the glove box.

That's what the salesman said too. But when I picked-up the CX5, they weren't anywhere to be found. So he ran back to the parts dept and got 4.
So, as someone said above - when you pick up your car which has locks - make sure they left the OEM nuts with the car.

Last edited:
When some dealerships are doing the PDI and installing any options the customer has ordered, they take the standard lugs off and throw them into a bucket. As others have stated, the instructions Mazda and most care dealerships instruct the mechanic to do is put the OEM lugs back into the clam shell the lock came in and store in glove box returning them to the customer. They came with the car and the locks are something extra.

As for the need for wheel locks and why would someone steel OEM wheels?

Locks only slow thieves down and may make them consider moving on to an easier target.

If something can be stolen and sold on Craigslist or Kijiji, it's basically free money and incentive to do so.

OP, if you got them with the car and negotiated not to pay for them, that's great for you. My dealership used to put them on all of the cars they sold but recently stopped it as a so called bonus.

For those that feel they are useless and a hinderance more if the key is lost, remove them and post them up for sale rather than riding with them stored in your glove box.

Wheel locks are useless. If someone wants your wheels, they will get them.

I disagree. Do you lock your front door? Do you have a password for your social media accounts? Wheel locks may not be as essential as those examples, but they all basically do the same thing - make it harder for a thief to do what they're trying to do. That can be the difference between your car/house/account and the next.

If something can be stolen and sold on Craigslist or Kijiji, it's basically free money and incentive to do so.

Just another reason to be glad I own a Mazda.

Toyota has a 13.9% U.S. market share.
Honda has a 9.5% U.S. market share.
Mazda has a 1.6% U.S. market share.

Ain't nobody gonna take my Mazda wheels. Who are they gonna sell them to?

In my situation, I've found wheel locks to be useless, and it's a PITA when the key breaks during a tire change because it's a much softer metal than the lug itself.

I think that wheel locks were popular mostly in the '80's-'90s, when alloy wheels were not as ubiquitous as they are today. These days, any thief looking to steal wheels likely has a cheap lug lock remover that can defeat the lock quickly.

I doubt highly that there's a big market for the removal of OEM rims on a Mazda SUV ...I think a thief would try to steal the entire car rather than the wheels only. That said, if I had a high-end car or really expensive rims, then I might try the wheel locks for the claimed deterrent effect, even though I'm pretty sure they could be removed by the bad guys eventually. I'll probably just keep the locks and key in the house as souvenirs of my small triumph over the stealership.

The point I'm trying to make is that any lock is better than no lock when it comes to deterring theft. Even the crappy ones are far from being "useless".

You're right though, its not likely that someone would steal any of Mazda's OEM wheels from their current models. They're heavy, not that great looking, and big.

I disagree. Do you lock your front door? Do you have a password for your social media accounts? Wheel locks may not be as essential as those examples, but they all basically do the same thing - make it harder for a thief to do what they're trying to do. That can be the difference between your car/house/account and the next.

They actually make tools that make these wheel locks useless nowadays. If you live in an area where this would be a concern, get a good security system.

Back