Folding Mirror Issue

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
I'm having issues now with the passenger folding mirror. The motor seems like it's worn out. Loud, weak sounding. Doesn't fold out all the way sometimes. The driver's side did this a couple thousand miles ago. Looks like I will be $1500 into warranty work on this vehicle next oil change...

...that $2400 bumper-to-bumper 150K mile warranty isn't sounding too stupid right now, and I'm glad I got it. In a few more months, my bumper to bumper will be gone, and this would have to come out of pocket, and my crystal ball says it will fail again...

But you're still under the basic warranty, so in reality, you're still $2400 in the hole?

I'm having issues now with the passenger folding mirror. The motor seems like it's worn out. Loud, weak sounding. Doesn't fold out all the way sometimes. The driver's side did this a couple thousand miles ago. Looks like I will be $1500 into warranty work on this vehicle next oil change...

...that $2400 bumper-to-bumper 150K mile warranty isn't sounding too stupid right now, and I'm glad I got it. In a few more months, my bumper to bumper will be gone, and this would have to come out of pocket, and my crystal ball says it will fail again...

But you're still under the basic warranty, so in reality, you're still $2400 in the hole?

Correct, but considering minor equipment has already racked up a $1500 tab on the 3/36 warranty, I feel good about my odds of more than breaking even on that warranty.

Well here's to a slew of future repairs on your CX! Good luck (I guess???)! (confused)

Correct, but considering minor equipment has already racked up a $1500 tab on the 3/36 warranty, I feel good about my odds of more than breaking even on that warranty.

Nice thing about the folding mirrors is if they break you can use them just like a regular car mirror.

Just remember extended warranty from Mazda doesn*t cover as much stuff as the 3 year comprehensive warranty from the factory. We never called it bumper to bumper either as even factory warranty doesn*t cover everything.
I can see the folding mirrors not doing so well in winter climates.

Just remember extended warranty from Mazda doesn*t cover as much stuff as the 3 year comprehensive warranty from the factory. We never called it bumper to bumper either as even factory warranty doesn*t cover everything.
I can see the folding mirrors not doing so well in winter climates.

My warranty will cover the folding mirrors for 150K miles.

Anyone else think Mazda needs to up their warranty game and go up to at least 5 years/60k miles?

I understand that they need to incentivize used cars, but it frosts me to see CPO warranties better than I got when I paid full price.

When I was in purchasing and negotiated extended warranties, I reminded the seller that nothing told us what he thought of his own products like the risk he was willing to take on their longevity.

I understand that they need to incentivize used cars, but it frosts me to see CPO warranties better than I got when I paid full price.

When I was in purchasing and negotiated extended warranties, I reminded the seller that nothing told us what he thought of his own products like the risk he was willing to take on their longevity.

The thing is, a CPO car by definition is a used car. The OEM warranty is only 3/36 so in order for it to have a warranty it has to be longer than the OEM warranty. We do get more time on the drivetrain warranty in any event. They just want to be competitive with other cars in the class. I suspect Hyundai/KIA will shorten the warranty on their cars over time as the image improves. They just made it longer as folks were scared about durability with the early cars issues.

Anyone else think Mazda needs to up their warranty game and go up to at least 5 years/60k miles?

Would be nice, but it's not going to happen. They'd rather sell you an extended warranty, you wouldn't feel the need if they're including that much as standard.

JLR is trying it with the Jaguar brand (that is the best warranty in the luxury space), but they are desperate for sales.

That sounds like typical dealership rip off price.. those motor assemblies are $60 on ebay. so your $2400 warranty only saved you $120 and some of your time lol

Nice thing about the folding mirrors is if they break you can use them just like a regular car mirror.

Agreed! Nice thing about the NAV system and the a/c is that when they go out, you can drive like your grandparents did! Woot!

But you know...I paid for every. Single. Feature. And I am going to use it if I so choose, and that is solely at my discretion.

That sounds like typical dealership rip off price.. those motor assemblies are $60 on ebay. so your $2400 warranty only saved you $120 and some of your time lol

I'm willing to trade the work hours at my job to avoid the work hours on my vehicle, equivalent to $2400, and since time is money, that's the ultimate litmus test for my purchases.

I'm willing to trade the work hours at my job to avoid the work hours on my vehicle, equivalent to $2400, and since time is money, that's the ultimate litmus test for my purchases.

Yup.

Been that way for a very long time. In modern life, wages provide Labor Value Normalization for what is still a barter system.

I used to do most of my own work because I had to. Once I started making decent money, I could get a better return on my time elsewhere.

Never said it didn*t but they don*t cover as much stuff as the stock warranty

Mine doesn't have a list of things it covers, so much as a very very short list of things it does NOT cover (literally, they have a list of a bazillion things, but in the margin, they have a small list of "we don't cover this, everything else is covered..." and it's stuff like brake pads, etc. except for speakers, and their rationale is that people overboost speakers with bigger amps, etc so they just don't). It's pretty comprehensive...

Totally agree with you.

As I said in the other Extended Warranty post, Cars and iPhone's are the only two things I buy extended warranties on.

It's a no-brainer, ESPECIALLY if you can get it for 1/2 price like I did.

Back