Folding Mirror Issue

Just remember extended warranty from Mazda doesn*t cover as much stuff as the 3 year comprehensive warranty from the factory. We never called it bumper to bumper either as even factory warranty doesn*t cover everything.
I can see the folding mirrors not doing so well in winter climates.

I live in the great white north, and I don't hear of rampant luxury cars that have had this feature for years complaining about it across the board.

if it IS an issue with our car, its a design issue.

keep in mind, most of these cars are designed and tested in super cold climates and even taken to very northern climates to be tested under real-world simulation, so.. if it becomes a common problem then its likely a design issue.

That sounds like typical dealership rip off price.. those motor assemblies are $60 on ebay. so your $2400 warranty only saved you $120 and some of your time lol

You can say that truthfully about practically anything on a car, though lol

I live in the great white north, and I don't hear of rampant luxury cars that have had this feature for years complaining about it across the board.

if it IS an issue with our car, its a design issue.

keep in mind, most of these cars are designed and tested in super cold climates and even taken to very northern climates to be tested under real-world simulation, so.. if it becomes a common problem then its likely a design issue.

The folding mirrors of Mazdas have high rate of failure in other countries for years.
There is a plastic gear that wears out over time. Some users replace it w/ a metal one. No problem since.
Also, the water proofing is not superb either. So, make sure you don't let water jet gets thru the seam and into the motor.
(tape up the seams before car washing, for example).
Just my two cents.

The driver's side did this a couple thousand miles ago. Looks like I will be $1500 into warranty work on this vehicle next oil change...
...that $2400 bumper-to-bumper 150K mile warranty isn't sounding too stupid right now, and I'm glad I got it.

Correct, but considering minor equipment has already racked up a $1500 tab on the 3/36 warranty, I feel good about my odds of more than breaking even on that warranty.

My warranty will cover the folding mirrors for 150K miles.

This is the bizarre logic that comes with blowing a bunch of money on an extended warranty...
You end up hoping your car is unreliable and needs lots of expensive repairs, just so you can justify buying the extended warranty.

You make the cost of any repairs artificially high, again as a way to 'recoup' your extended warranty cost.
No sane person is paying $1500 to repair a power side view mirror. You'd have to be the world's most gullible consumer to pay that amount.

You overstate the coverage of the extended warranty.
As mentioned in another thread, your extended warranty will only provide you with 2.5 years of powertrain coverage and 3 years of bumper-2-bumper coverage.

This is the bizarre logic that comes with blowing a bunch of money on an extended warranty...
You end up hoping your car is unreliable and needs lots of expensive repairs, just so you can justify buying the extended warranty.

You make the cost of any repairs artificially high, again as a way to 'recoup' your extended warranty cost.
No sane person is paying $1500 to repair a power side view mirror. You'd have to be the world's most gullible consumer to pay that amount.

You overstate the coverage of the extended warranty.
As mentioned in another thread, your extended warranty will only provide you with 2.5 years of powertrain coverage and 3 years of bumper-2-bumper coverage.

My extended warranty will provide me with near 100% vehicle coverage for about 5 years (given my driving habits). From the wheel bearings to the valve cover gasket to the fuel pump...to those window motors.

If I blow a turbo or a transmission at 140k miles...that's ZERO money out of my pocket to fix it.

My extended warranty will provide me with near 100% vehicle coverage for about 5 years (given my driving habits). From the wheel bearings to the valve cover gasket to the fuel pump...to those window motors.

If I blow a turbo or a transmission at 140k miles...that's ZERO money out of my pocket to fix it.

You said in an earlier thread that you are driving an average of 3000 miles/month, or 36K miles/year.

You will blow through the 150K miles in less than 4.2 years, not 5 years.
However, you have the factory warranty in place, so you only get between 2.5 years (powertrain) and 3 years (B2B) of extended warranty coverage.

Anyway, here's to hoping you blow a turbo or transmission during that narrow time period, so you can get your money's worth from the warranty.

Last edited:
You said in an earlier thread that you are driving an average of 3000 miles/month, or 36K miles/year.

You will blow through the 150K miles in less than 4.2 years, not 5 years.
However, you have the factory warranty in place, so you only get between 2.5 years (powertrain) and 3 years (B2B) of extended warranty coverage.

Anyway, here's to hoping you blow a turbo or transmission during that narrow time period, so you can get your money's worth from the warranty.

Hmmm...do you have health insurance? What's that run you? ;)

Since you're switching the subject, I assume you are starting to understand why the $3000 extended warranty is not such a smart purchase.

No, it's a great purchase, and I'm glad I made it. I'd rather pay a few dollars a month than be hit with a $4500 bill all at once out of nowhere. But you do you.

Also, since you decided to add $600 to the price of the warranty, it's not a big deal, yeah?

Also, since you decided to add $600 to the price of the warranty, it's not a big deal, yeah?

This is another example of fooling yourself about the true costs of the warranty...

In a previous thread, you said you financed the $2400 warranty, by rolling the cost into your auto loan.
So you are paying $2400 PLUS hundreds of dollars in interest.

Additionally, you have the opportunity cost (~$300) from not putting that $2400 in a CD or money market account.

So yes, that extended warranty you purchased did cost you approximately $3000.

This is another example of fooling yourself about the true costs of the warranty...

In a previous thread, you said you financed the $2400 warranty, by rolling the cost into your auto loan.
So you are paying $2400 PLUS hundreds of dollars in interest.

Additionally, you have the opportunity cost (~$300) from not putting that $2400 in a CD or money market account.

So yes, that extended warranty you purchased did cost you approximately $3000.

Interest is $460.

Again, its money well spent. Even covers shocks and struts. I used to do almost all my own wrenching. It's not that I can't, its that I can afford not to.

Wanna know what smart is? Smart is buying a few year old Lexus Gx470 and doing all your own work. It lasts for eternity. I'm sure you can think of some other vehicles as well. Heck I coulda bought a base cx5. Less money all around. But...convenience.

So how bout them mirrors huh? With all the plastic gear failures in other countries mentioned, has anyone successfully replaced their plastic gears with something more robust? Or has anyone written up a DIY on how to replace a broken gear?

So how bout them mirrors huh? With all the plastic gear failures in other countries mentioned, has anyone successfully replaced their plastic gears with something more robust? Or has anyone written up a DIY on how to replace a broken gear?

It's not a gear issue. Gears are fine in my case. Motor just gets weak and wont do the work needed. I had popup lights in 2 trans ams (4th gen), and after 150k miles they had gear issues. The mirror motors are not having near the same symptoms, but most gear motors only use a portion of the gear...remove it and flip it. It will wear out again, sure, but that's what got me through 170k mi on my ta.

This is an unwinnable argument. Extended warranties are insurance, same as any other insurance policy. Yes, the issuing company prices the warranty at a level that they will make acceptable profits overall. That means that a few will benefit from the EW, while many will not. For most people who buy in to an EW, it's not about a guaranteed return, but more about peace of mind. If I had a million dollars in the bank, would I buy life insurance? Maybe not. You think Bill Gates or Warren Buffet pay for medical insurance? Why would they?

I know Unobtanium seems excited about the prospect of cashing in on his EW, but I'm guessing he'd be even happier if nothing ever broke on his CX.

I purchased an EW once in my lifetime.
2015 Jeep Wrangler
FCA LIFETIME Warranty with a $100 deductible for as long as I owned the vehicle.
If after 100,000 miles a failure would cost more than the value of the Jeep to fix, they would write me a check for the value. And Wranglers hold value extremely well!
Also for the first 100,000 mi.
Free loaner
Free towing
Trip interruption costs covered - Rental car, hotel, meals.
Cost was negotiated to $2400

This was a situation where FCA was clearly banking on people to not keep their cars for the very long haul. Was not trasnferrable, if the car was sold, totaled or stolen, the warranty ended. They no longer offer it, so I'm guessing it was not as profitable as they had hoped. :)

You just need to spend the next few years hoping your CX-5 experiences a serious failure/repair to justify the warranty!

Kindof like you need to hope you get cancer or have an MI to make all that health insurance you pay for worth it?

Dude. It's insurance. Its entire value is in future-proofing as much as possible in an uncertain world. Just like your health/auto/etc. insurance.

Kindof like you need to hope you get cancer or have an MI to make all that health insurance you pay for worth it?
Dude. It's insurance. Its entire value is in future-proofing as much as possible in an uncertain world. Just like your health/auto/etc. insurance.

Spending $3K to insure against the possibility of a car repair during a narrow time window is not a valid comparison to home/auto/health insurance.

Health/auto/home insurance is intended to guard against catastrophic financial consequences (that could bankrupt you), not to cover every little thing that happens in your life.

Do you also get an extended warranty for all furniture, appliances, tools, electronics you buy?

Spending $3K to insure against the possibility of a car repair during a narrow time window is not a valid comparison to home/auto/health insurance.

Health/auto/home insurance is intended to guard against catastrophic financial consequences (that could bankrupt you), not to cover every little thing that happens in your life.

Do you also get an extended warranty for all furniture, appliances, tools, electronics you buy?

Yup. Not 100% of it, but most of it is covered under my home insurance and home warranty. I also carry professional and personal liability insurance, blah blah blah.

Just pick up the phone and solve the problem, no reason to deal with this mess if I don't have to.

Back