WARNING: Mazda Mobile Start Owners

That's really stupid. What happens when you pay for the option of XM radio. Stop it after the trial period and a year later you want it reactivated. S/XM will reactivate it within minutes

XM is a bit different since the components are readily installed in the vehicle aka straight from the factory.

There's no hardware or software reason at all. You'll note in that section of the Ts and Cs that this deactivation happens if 1) a subscription lapses for more than a month or 2) the device isn't activated on a new vehicle within 13 months of purchase. It can't simultaneously be that the device can't sit inactive for 1 month or 13 months without becoming useless. This is Mazda USA holding you hostage to keep subscribing to the service or they'll throw a temper tantrum and not allow you to renew.

My suspicion is that all they do is blacklist the 25 digit device ID in their systems so that the service account associated with it can never be reactivated if you dare to not subscribe for a while.

Contacted Mazda USA and apparently its a fail safe setup by the 3rd party device creator. After 1 year the device shuts off/is deactivated

See, I think they absolutely can reactivate the device. My belief is that they simply blacklist the 25 digit device ID in their systems if you don't maintain a continuous subscription / activate it within 13 months of purchase. In the previous section, section 8, of the Ts and Cs they state in part that:

"Upon termination of the Terms or cancellation of the Services, you must immediately stop using the Services and your license to use any of the Services is automatically and immediately terminated. All provisions of the Terms that by their nature survive termination or expiration shall survive termination or expiration of the Terms.

We may, in our discretion, allow you to renew your subscription after cancellation of the Services. You may be required to pay reactivation fees"

So we have one section stating that hardware can't be reactivated, and the prior section stating that it can if they, in their discretion, allow it and you pay a reactivation fee. Why would that be in there if the hardware itself is rendered permanently useless upon deactivation?

It’s not up to Mazda, although they may have some say. The device is shut off for inactivity after 1 year by the actual device manufacturer.

I guess I bought at the right time. 2021 CX-9 comes with Mazda Connected Services. I was worried I wouldn't get MMS but luckily this is like the new, updated version. I can use mymazda app on my phone and it works great 🙌

I guess I bought at the right time. 2021 CX-9 comes with Mazda Connected Services. I was worried I wouldn't get MMS but luckily this is like the new, updated version. I can use mymazda app on my phone and it works great 🙌
Glad to hear that...just took delivery of a 2021 CX9 and was like WTF? :)

Back