Tire Pressure

Thanks

Going with 39#, thanks for opinions. Been working on cars for over 65 years, it never hurts to get the latest opinions!!

Going with 39#, thanks for opinions. Been working on cars for over 65 years, it never hurts to get the latest opinions!!
I go with 39 psi cold too for all four 19 tires mainly for even tread wear to maximize the tire life. My experience on one-number-fit-all manufacture recommended tire pressure for US market is its usually a bit too low which wears out the outer sides of tread faster. Tire pressure should be flexible depending on many variables: tire type、brand (design characteristic)、temperature、speed、and load. For those who believe we should follow Mazda recommended tire pressure with 35 psi (36 for gen-1 CX-5) on 19 tires, see the different tire pressure recommendations for CX-5 from UKs 2017 CX-5 Owners Manual with wide range from 36 to 42 psi depending on load. One example even recommends 45 psi on winter tires!

attachment.php

attachment.php

79796D78-5EC8-4B3F-BC72-147001174536.jpeg28529583-875A-4DCB-ADF5-9963F9689867.jpeg

Typically, if you go higher than the factory recommended spec, you'll get improved mileage while sacrificing traction and increasing the risk of tire, rim or suspension damage when you hit potholes or curbs.
...and wear out the tires' center, faster.
Not necessary. Many CX-5 owners here use 2~3 psi higher than recommended tire pressure with no wear issues. Mazda itself recommends higher tire pressure than US recommended tire pressure in other countries for different load conditions.

Typically, if you go higher than the factory recommended spec, you'll get improved mileage while sacrificing traction and increasing the risk of tire, rim or suspension damage when you hit potholes or curbs.
Just the opposite. Lower pressure increases those dangers.
I agree with shadonoz. Higher than the factory recommended tire pressure, especially the one-number-fit-all US spec, should decrease the risk of tire, rim or suspension damage when you hit potholes or curbs.

I agree with shadonoz. Higher than the factory recommended tire pressure, especially the one-number-fit-all US spec, should decrease the risk of tire, rim or suspension damage when you hit potholes or curbs.

The way I look at it, overinflating by a small amount is perfectly fine in most cases. If you overinflate too much, you're reducing the tire's ability to absorb shock, so more of that shock get transferred to the rim and suspension components, which increases the risk of damage and wear to the components. My statement is based on overinflating too much (like 15-20 psi vs. 3-5 psi).

I go with 39 psi cold too for all four 19* tires mainly for even tread wear to maximize the tire life. My experience on one-number-fit-all manufacture recommended tire pressure for US market is it*s usually a bit too low which wears out the outer sides of tread faster. Tire pressure should be flexible depending on many variables: tire type*brand (design characteristic)*temperature*speed*and load. For those who believe we should follow Mazda recommended tire pressure with 35 psi (36 for gen-1 CX-5) on 19* tires, see the different tire pressure recommendations for CX-5 from UK*s 2017 CX-5 Owner*s Manual with wide range from 36 to 42 psi depending on load. One example even recommends 45 psi on winter tires!

Interesting! Thanks for the info!

Back in the days when my wife had a '05 Prius and I frequented PriusChat.com, owners were running their tires at 45psi or higher to see how high the MPG could go... Some were running at 50 PSI. Never heard of any tires blew up then. However, we are not the MPG kind of folks here. Running tires at 40 PSI will save some fuel, and you can also feel the bumpiness increases a bit. Front tires wears on the outer edge, while rear ones wear on the inner edge. So, over-inflation a bit to wear the center is fine. Since CX5 is my wife's ride, I do 35 PSI on all tires. For my Mazda6, I run them at 38 PSI.

Back