Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tire Pressure

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoomForever View Post
    Door sticker says 36lbs on the 19s.

Ive found 38-39 lbs to be the sweet spot on the stockers, currently riding on 38.
    I usually go 38 since the air pressure fluctuates with our ever changing temps in Wisconsin.

Registered Member

17 Mazda 6 GT

Hey, I think you should all go with the factory pressure that they come shipped with.
    You know, around 55 psi or so.
    I mean, the dealers don't lower it when they do their delivery inspections, so why should you......

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

Just experiment. You won't hurt anything. See what feels best to YOU on the roads YOU drive. Looking for a consensus here is like wrestling a greased pig.

Donated: $25

2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico

I imagine the door plaque's stated 36psi presumes frequent highway travel at 70 mph or more. In my case my daily travel is is at much lower speeds including city stop and go but also about five kilometers of rough unpaved road. Because of the latter I am thinking of dropping to 34psi for slightly more comfort.

Registered Member

2016 and 2017 Grand Touring

Thanks

Going with 39#, thanks for opinions. Been working on cars for over 65 years, it never hurts to get the latest opinions!!

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Tire Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Seaice View Post
    Going with 39#, thanks for opinions. Been working on cars for over 65 years, it never hurts to get the latest opinions!!
    I go with 39 psi cold too for all four 19 tires mainly for even tread wear to maximize the tire life. My experience on one-number-fit-all manufacture recommended tire pressure for US market is its usually a bit too low which wears out the outer sides of tread faster. Tire pressure should be flexible depending on many variables: tire type、brand (design characteristic)、temperature、speed、and load. For those who believe we should follow Mazda recommended tire pressure with 35 psi (36 for gen-1 CX-5) on 19 tires, see the different tire pressure recommendations for CX-5 from UKs 2017 CX-5 Owners Manual with wide range from 36 to 42 psi depending on load. One example even recommends 45 psi on winter tires!

79796D78-5EC8-4B3F-BC72-147001174536.jpeg28529583-875A-4DCB-ADF5-9963F9689867.jpeg

Arrow Tire Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by concept View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    Typically, if you go higher than the factory recommended spec, you'll get improved mileage while sacrificing traction and increasing the risk of tire, rim or suspension damage when you hit potholes or curbs.
    ...and wear out the tires' center, faster.
    Not necessary. Many CX-5 owners here use 2~3 psi higher than recommended tire pressure with no wear issues. Mazda itself recommends higher tire pressure than US recommended tire pressure in other countries for different load conditions.

Arrow Tire Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    Typically, if you go higher than the factory recommended spec, you'll get improved mileage while sacrificing traction and increasing the risk of tire, rim or suspension damage when you hit potholes or curbs.
    Just the opposite. Lower pressure increases those dangers.
    I agree with shadonoz. Higher than the factory recommended tire pressure, especially the one-number-fit-all US spec, should decrease the risk of tire, rim or suspension damage when you hit potholes or curbs.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 GT 2017

2017 GT CX-5 recommended 35 running 38 psi

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    I agree with shadonoz. Higher than the factory recommended tire pressure, especially the one-number-fit-all US spec, should decrease the risk of tire, rim or suspension damage when you hit potholes or curbs.
    The way I look at it, overinflating by a small amount is perfectly fine in most cases. If you overinflate too much, you're reducing the tire's ability to absorb shock, so more of that shock get transferred to the rim and suspension components, which increases the risk of damage and wear to the components. My statement is based on overinflating too much (like 15-20 psi vs. 3-5 psi).
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Soon to be 2.5T CX-5

My statement is based on overinflating too much (like 15-20 psi vs. 3-5 psi).
    Well, luckily no one here has recommended anywhere near that, but there are idiots out there, so...

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    I go with 39 psi cold too for all four 19* tires mainly for even tread wear to maximize the tire life. My experience on one-number-fit-all manufacture recommended tire pressure for US market is it*s usually a bit too low which wears out the outer sides of tread faster. Tire pressure should be flexible depending on many variables: tire type*brand (design characteristic)*temperature*speed*and load. For those who believe we should follow Mazda recommended tire pressure with 35 psi (36 for gen-1 CX-5) on 19* tires, see the different tire pressure recommendations for CX-5 from UK*s 2017 CX-5 Owner*s Manual with wide range from 36 to 42 psi depending on load. One example even recommends 45 psi on winter tires!
    Interesting! Thanks for the info!

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2016 Mazda6 iGT, 2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback

Back in the days when my wife had a '05 Prius and I frequented PriusChat.com, owners were running their tires at 45psi or higher to see how high the MPG could go... Some were running at 50 PSI. Never heard of any tires blew up then. However, we are not the MPG kind of folks here. Running tires at 40 PSI will save some fuel, and you can also feel the bumpiness increases a bit. Front tires wears on the outer edge, while rear ones wear on the inner edge. So, over-inflation a bit to wear the center is fine. Since CX5 is my wife's ride, I do 35 PSI on all tires. For my Mazda6, I run them at 38 PSI.
    2016 Mazda6 iGT + Tech Pkg
    ....Sonic Silver Mica / Parchment
    2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback
    ....Soul Red Metallic / Almond

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12