Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Touring vs. Touring GT ... Different Engine Performance

Registered Member

2019 Touring vs. Touring GT ... Different Engine Performance

So, I know the Touring and Touring GT have the same engine. However, here's something puzzling. My wife and I test drove both cars (new), each with between 3 and 10 miles on the OD. The Touring engine was rough and loud at cold start up and while driving. The GT purred. Then, we cold started up three other Tourings on the lot ... all were still rough and loud. We also cold started two other GTs and they purred like the first one. I don't know how to explain this. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Joe Willie; 10-09-2019 at 07:32 AM.

Registered Member

2018 cx5 GT

Strange as they are exactly the same.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

That truly is odd. Maybe the AC's were on on the GT's and not the Tourings or visa verse or something?

Registered Member

2019 CX5 Reserve AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Willie View Post
    So, I know the Touring and Touring GT have the same engine. However, here's something puzzling. My wife and I test drove both cars (new), each with between 3 and 10 miles on the OD. The Touring engine was rough and loud at cold start up and while driving. The GT purred. Then, we cold started up three other Tourings on the lot ... all were still rough and loud. We also cold started two other GTs and they purred like the first one. I don't know how to explain this. Any thoughts?
    They're all rough and loud for the first 15 seconds. It's a fast warmup of the cat converter. You must of got lucky and started one that was previously started.
    Once the 15 seconds passes you should just be able to hear the engine, it's very quiet . As far as rough when driving, don't know. Try driving another. I have a 16 Touring and it's smooth as silk.

Maybe the GT's had recently been driven?

Registered Member

The GT I started on the lot had 3 miles on it, and had been sitting there for a while. The one I test drove had 8 miles, and had been sitting on the lot overnight. Both started smoothly, and the one I test drove as well as the other one I had started up had smooth sounding engines. Not so with the 3 Tourings. At first, I thought that the GTs might have some more sound deadening material in them, but the salesperson said they didn't. Anyway, I was all set to buy the Touring w/PP, but when I sat in the GT with the leather and test drove it, I knew I was gonna go for the GT ...we only go around once, and I've never had a car with leather. So, I bought the GT in Deep Crystal Blue and take delivery this Saturday ... as a Honda guy (until they went to that stupid CVT), I'm taking a leap of faith here, but the GT drives so well and is so much fun, the choice appeared to be a no brainer.

Registered Member

2019 CX5 Reserve AWD

The GT I started on the lot had 3 miles on it, and had been sitting there for a while. The one I test drove had 8 miles, and had been sitting on the lot overnight. Both started smoothly, and the one I test drove as well as the other one I had started up had smooth sounding engines. Not so with the 3 Tourings. At first, I thought that the GTs might have some more sound deadening material in them, but the salesperson said they didn't. Anyway, I was all set to buy the Touring w/PP, but when I sat in the GT with the leather and test drove it, I knew I was gonna go for the GT ...we only go around once, and I've never had a car with leather. So, I bought the GT in Deep Crystal Blue and take delivery this Saturday ... as a Honda guy (until they went to that stupid CVT), I'm taking a leap of faith here, but the GT drives so well and is so much fun, the choice appeared to be a no brainer.
    Can't go wrong with the GT but there should be no difference in performance between the Touring and GT. Are you sure they didn't give you a turbo to test drive by mistake. If so you would of noticed a big difference.

Registered Member

2018 AWD GT Premium Red/Black

I too went from Honda/Acura to CX-5 GT and no regrets. But when I took delivery of mine, I thought the cold engine sounded terrible when I was standing outside car with the hood open. The Salesman assured me that was normal and took me to start another one which sounded the same. It sounds fine inside the car, and also after it warms up. But of course not like a Honda V-6, especially when its cold.

Registered Member

2019 CX5 Reserve AWD

Quote Originally Posted by murky View Post
    I too went from Honda/Acura to CX-5 GT and no regrets. But when I took delivery of mine, I thought the cold engine sounded terrible when I was standing outside car with the hood open. The Salesman assured me that was normal and took me to start another one which sounded the same. It sounds fine inside the car, and also after it warms up. But of course not like a Honda V-6, especially when its cold.
    WE dumped our CR-V for the Reserve and never looked back. I've also had an Acura but I'm now full-on Mazda.
    16 Touring and 19 Reserve.

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Sure it wasn't a GT-R?
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 86k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Sure it wasn't a GT-R?
    I'm sure ... it was a regular GT.

2019 GT Reserve - Deep Blue 2016 Mazda3 iTouring - Soul Red

Sure its not you finding an excuse to get the GT?
    Jokes aside, you should go listen a cold start on a hyundai gdi engine and then you*ll know the Mazda is ok.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saamlee92 View Post
    Sure its not you finding an excuse to get the GT?
    Jokes aside, you should go listen a cold start on a hyundai gdi engine and then you*ll know the Mazda is ok.
    My wife and I both confirmed the rough starts on the Tourings vs the smooth starts on the GTs. Regardless, as soon as I sat in the GT and felt the leather, I realized that I didn't want to live with pleather and fake suede. It just felt and looked so much better. So, in the grand scheme of things, the price difference was small enough between the two to justify the GT, particularly if I prorate it over a number of years. Besides, you only go around once, and I decided to treat myself for a change since I've always had cloth seats.

2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD

Were they giving you a hard time by the fifth car?

Registered Member

Enjoy your new GT.

My wife drives a Signature model with leather and traded a 2016 Mazda 6 GT with leather. I drive a 2005 Ford F150 with leather. You will find the leather will be hotter in the summer when you first get in. That is the reason the CX_5 has air conditioning. In the winter, it will feel cold when you first get in. That is why the CX_5 has a heater.

I would never buy a vehicle without leather. Just feels good and looks great. You made the right decision...for just a few dollars more per month.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast