Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: 2019 Touring vs. Touring GT ... Different Engine Performance

  1. #1
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    40

    2019 Touring vs. Touring GT ... Different Engine Performance

    So, I know the Touring and Touring GT have the same engine. However, here's something puzzling. My wife and I test drove both cars (new), each with between 3 and 10 miles on the OD. The Touring engine was rough and loud at cold start up and while driving. The GT purred. Then, we cold started up three other Tourings on the lot ... all were still rough and loud. We also cold started two other GTs and they purred like the first one. I don't know how to explain this. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Joe Willie; 10-09-2019 at 07:32 AM.

  2. #2
    Registered Member

    2018 cx5 GT

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    BC Canada
    Posts
    93
    Strange as they are exactly the same.

  3. #3
    Registered Member

    CX5 GT-R

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    South-Central US
    Posts
    7,935
    That truly is odd. Maybe the AC's were on on the GT's and not the Tourings or visa verse or something?

  4. #4
    Registered Member

    2019 CX5 Reserve AWD

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Willie View Post
    So, I know the Touring and Touring GT have the same engine. However, here's something puzzling. My wife and I test drove both cars (new), each with between 3 and 10 miles on the OD. The Touring engine was rough and loud at cold start up and while driving. The GT purred. Then, we cold started up three other Tourings on the lot ... all were still rough and loud. We also cold started two other GTs and they purred like the first one. I don't know how to explain this. Any thoughts?
    They're all rough and loud for the first 15 seconds. It's a fast warmup of the cat converter. You must of got lucky and started one that was previously started.
    Once the 15 seconds passes you should just be able to hear the engine, it's very quiet . As far as rough when driving, don't know. Try driving another. I have a 16 Touring and it's smooth as silk.

  5. #5
    Registered Member 7eregrine's Avatar

    2016.5

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    CLE
    Posts
    5,125
    Maybe the GT's had recently been driven?

  6. #6
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    40
    The GT I started on the lot had 3 miles on it, and had been sitting there for a while. The one I test drove had 8 miles, and had been sitting on the lot overnight. Both started smoothly, and the one I test drove as well as the other one I had started up had smooth sounding engines. Not so with the 3 Tourings. At first, I thought that the GTs might have some more sound deadening material in them, but the salesperson said they didn't. Anyway, I was all set to buy the Touring w/PP, but when I sat in the GT with the leather and test drove it, I knew I was gonna go for the GT ...we only go around once, and I've never had a car with leather. So, I bought the GT in Deep Crystal Blue and take delivery this Saturday ... as a Honda guy (until they went to that stupid CVT), I'm taking a leap of faith here, but the GT drives so well and is so much fun, the choice appeared to be a no brainer.

  7. #7
    Registered Member

    2019 CX5 Reserve AWD

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Willie View Post
    The GT I started on the lot had 3 miles on it, and had been sitting there for a while. The one I test drove had 8 miles, and had been sitting on the lot overnight. Both started smoothly, and the one I test drove as well as the other one I had started up had smooth sounding engines. Not so with the 3 Tourings. At first, I thought that the GTs might have some more sound deadening material in them, but the salesperson said they didn't. Anyway, I was all set to buy the Touring w/PP, but when I sat in the GT with the leather and test drove it, I knew I was gonna go for the GT ...we only go around once, and I've never had a car with leather. So, I bought the GT in Deep Crystal Blue and take delivery this Saturday ... as a Honda guy (until they went to that stupid CVT), I'm taking a leap of faith here, but the GT drives so well and is so much fun, the choice appeared to be a no brainer.
    Can't go wrong with the GT but there should be no difference in performance between the Touring and GT. Are you sure they didn't give you a turbo to test drive by mistake. If so you would of noticed a big difference.

  8. #8
    Registered Member

    2018 AWD GT Premium Red/Black

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Willie View Post
    The GT I started on the lot had 3 miles on it, and had been sitting there for a while. The one I test drove had 8 miles, and had been sitting on the lot overnight. Both started smoothly, and the one I test drove as well as the other one I had started up had smooth sounding engines. Not so with the 3 Tourings. At first, I thought that the GTs might have some more sound deadening material in them, but the salesperson said they didn't. Anyway, I was all set to buy the Touring w/PP, but when I sat in the GT with the leather and test drove it, I knew I was gonna go for the GT ...we only go around once, and I've never had a car with leather. So, I bought the GT in Deep Crystal Blue and take delivery this Saturday ... as a Honda guy (until they went to that stupid CVT), I'm taking a leap of faith here, but the GT drives so well and is so much fun, the choice appeared to be a no brainer.
    I too went from Honda/Acura to CX-5 GT and no regrets. But when I took delivery of mine, I thought the cold engine sounded terrible when I was standing outside car with the hood open. The Salesman assured me that was normal and took me to start another one which sounded the same. It sounds fine inside the car, and also after it warms up. But of course not like a Honda V-6, especially when its cold.

  9. #9
    Registered Member

    2019 CX5 Reserve AWD

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by murky View Post
    I too went from Honda/Acura to CX-5 GT and no regrets. But when I took delivery of mine, I thought the cold engine sounded terrible when I was standing outside car with the hood open. The Salesman assured me that was normal and took me to start another one which sounded the same. It sounds fine inside the car, and also after it warms up. But of course not like a Honda V-6, especially when its cold.
    WE dumped our CR-V for the Reserve and never looked back. I've also had an Acura but I'm now full-on Mazda.
    16 Touring and 19 Reserve.

  10. #10
    Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colo-fornia
    Posts
    5,311
    Sure it wasn't a GT-R?
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 86k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

  11. #11
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Sure it wasn't a GT-R?
    I'm sure ... it was a regular GT.

  12. #12
    Registered Member Saamlee92's Avatar

    2019 GT Reserve - Deep Blue 2016 Mazda3 iTouring - Soul Red

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    56
    Sure its not you finding an excuse to get the GT?
    Jokes aside, you should go listen a cold start on a hyundai gdi engine and then you*ll know the Mazda is ok.

  13. #13
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Saamlee92 View Post
    Sure its not you finding an excuse to get the GT?
    Jokes aside, you should go listen a cold start on a hyundai gdi engine and then you*ll know the Mazda is ok.
    My wife and I both confirmed the rough starts on the Tourings vs the smooth starts on the GTs. Regardless, as soon as I sat in the GT and felt the leather, I realized that I didn't want to live with pleather and fake suede. It just felt and looked so much better. So, in the grand scheme of things, the price difference was small enough between the two to justify the GT, particularly if I prorate it over a number of years. Besides, you only go around once, and I decided to treat myself for a change since I've always had cloth seats.

  14. #14
    Harpy Eagle Chocolate's Avatar

    2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD

    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    275
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Willie View Post
    So, I know the Touring and Touring GT have the same engine. However, here's something puzzling. My wife and I test drove both cars (new), each with between 3 and 10 miles on the OD. The Touring engine was rough and loud at cold start up and while driving. The GT purred. Then, we cold started up three other Tourings on the lot ... all were still rough and loud. We also cold started two other GTs and they purred like the first one. I don't know how to explain this. Any thoughts?
    Were they giving you a hard time by the fifth car?

  15. #15
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    40
    Enjoy your new GT.

    My wife drives a Signature model with leather and traded a 2016 Mazda 6 GT with leather. I drive a 2005 Ford F150 with leather. You will find the leather will be hotter in the summer when you first get in. That is the reason the CX_5 has air conditioning. In the winter, it will feel cold when you first get in. That is why the CX_5 has a heater.

    I would never buy a vehicle without leather. Just feels good and looks great. You made the right decision...for just a few dollars more per month.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2019 Touring CX-5 mpg and what gas?
    By daniel04280 in forum CX-5 General
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-04-2019, 03:46 PM
  2. 2019 CX5 Touring w/ Package
    By kyky8 in forum CX-5 General
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-21-2019, 11:40 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-21-2019, 06:23 PM
  4. 2019 Touring Won’t Start
    By Whiter0se in forum CX-5 Engine & Transmission
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-10-2019, 03:00 AM
  5. 2012 CX-9 Touring to 2019 CX-5 GTR
    By CometGSR in forum CX-5 General
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2019, 12:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •