Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Got a good deal on 2017 CX-5 Touring, but is it better to get a 2018?

  1. #1
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    1

    Got a good deal on 2017 CX-5 Touring, but is it better to get a 2018?

    So, I got a nice deal for a 2017 CPO (7 year, 100k mile warranty) Mazda CX-5, Touring. Original asking price was 21,900, got it reduce to 21,000. This doesn't include taxes and other fee's.
    Mileage of the car is 24K, and according to CarGurus and KBB I'm getting a great deal.


    My question is, is it better to look for a 2018 touring due to the cylinder de-activation technology and the fact that it in the 2018 touring, the vehicle comes with the "i-active sense tech" standard. Are they worth it?

  2. #2
    Harpy Eagle Chocolate's Avatar

    2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD

    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    307
    I got a brand new one with the activsense package and a tow hitch for 25803+tax. There's nothing in the Touring trim that I felt I needed, features are similar until you get to the higher trims. The used prices are way too close for me to consider buying this vehicle used.

  3. #3
    Registered Member

    Mazda3

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    66

  4. #4
    Harpy Eagle Chocolate's Avatar

    2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD

    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulson View Post
    That would make me want to avoid used 18s, specifically what happened to Glock32. I don't know how long the engine has run with potentially flawed software, and I'm not about to take one apart to check.

    Current production models have the fix applied.

  5. #5
    Structural Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    State of Jefferson - SO Oregon
    Posts
    2,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate View Post
    That would make me want to avoid used 18s, specifically what happened to Glock32. I don't know how long the engine has run with potentially flawed software, and I'm not about to take one apart to check.

    Current production models have the presumed software fix applied.
    It's a tough choice. i-Activsense if worth its weight in gold. CD is an unknown risk... or not. A 17 should be less expensive, everything else being equal. Your best bet might be a 17 with i-Activsense if you can find one that fits your budget.

  6. #6
    Harpy Eagle Chocolate's Avatar

    2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD

    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    307
    It's possible that Mazda is perpetuating a VW-style fraud by releasing a fake fix, but it's more likely that they're not lying to their customers and NHTSA regulators and it was in fact a software issue.

  7. #7
    Structural Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    State of Jefferson - SO Oregon
    Posts
    2,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate View Post
    It's possible that Mazda is perpetuating a VW-style fraud by releasing a fake fix, but it's more likely that they're not lying to their customers and NHTSA regulators and it was in fact a software issue.
    I don't think it's fake at all. But knowing what I do about the way the system is constructed, I'm not confident that it will be totally effective. It may prevent most of the problems, but not all. Or it may be all that's needed. Time will tell.

  8. #8
    Harpy Eagle Chocolate's Avatar

    2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD

    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    307
    Agreed. I went with a lease for the flexibility of having several years of reliability and high-mileage data before deciding to purchase. Between these forums and reviewing the service history online of high mileage examples, you should be able to get a pretty good idea of the reliability.

  9. #9
    Structural Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    State of Jefferson - SO Oregon
    Posts
    2,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate View Post
    Agreed. I went with a lease for the flexibility of having several years of reliability and high-mileage data before deciding to purchase. Between these forums and reviewing the service history online of high mileage examples, you should be able to get a pretty good idea of the reliability.
    Prudent and wise.

  10. #10
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by sanelb View Post
    So, I got a nice deal for a 2017 CPO (7 year, 100k mile warranty) Mazda CX-5, Touring. Original asking price was 21,900, got it reduce to 21,000. This doesn't include taxes and other fee's.
    Mileage of the car is 24K, and according to CarGurus and KBB I'm getting a great deal.


    My question is, is it better to look for a 2018 touring due to the cylinder de-activation technology and the fact that it in the 2018 touring, the vehicle comes with the "i-active sense tech" standard. Are they worth it?
    Wife got her 2018 Touring last year with 8k miles, CPO for 24500.
    The CD worries are way overblown and with a 7 year 100k mile powertrain warranty we have 0 worries about the engine.

  11. #11
    Registered Member

    2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Posts
    1,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate View Post
    The used prices are way too close for me to consider buying this vehicle used.
    That's pretty much a universal statement.

    As I've said before, I was shopping for a low mileage used SUV (Toyota/Honda/Mazda), but when I saw the prices and the monthly payments driven by higher used car interest rates versus dealer financing deals, I went new.

Similar Threads

  1. 2017-2018 CX5 Touring Taillights
    By IRBS in forum CX-5 Accessories & Appearance
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 03-04-2019, 01:38 PM
  2. 2017 Touring to 2018 Grand Touring
    By Adguy21 in forum CX-5 General
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 04-16-2018, 04:48 PM
  3. Buy a new 2017 or 2018 Grand Touring?
    By TommyChung71 in forum CX-5 General
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 02-13-2018, 12:30 AM
  4. Is this a good deal? 2015 CX-5 AWD Touring
    By Nomad83 in forum CX-5 General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-19-2015, 10:15 AM
  5. $19500 for 2012 Touring, good deal?
    By 90210 in forum Mazda5 General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-07-2011, 12:29 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •