How do I make my portable CD player work?

At 30+/- minutes to rip a CD that could take an huge amount of time to copy any collection!!

I have over 2k CDs in my collection, and yes, it takes some time to rip em all. The sooner you start the sooner you finish.

Find a wireless FM modulator for it.

It transmits via an unused FM channel that's at the far end of the scale, so you just tune to that channel on your radio.

I used one in my 1990 Volvo for my portable XM radio.

The OP said that his CD player didn't have an AUX jack, no way to get the signal into the FM transmitter.

The OP said that his CD player didn't have an AUX jack, no way to get the signal into the FM transmitter.

Maybe it has a headphone jack and he's being specific on the terminology...there's no jack labeled "AUX."

It's got to have something to get the sound out of it, unless it's a boom box with a CD player in it.

Am I wrong in thinking you can just put the CD into the drive of your pc and copy the files to a usb drive? There's no special software required for those files, is there?

I'll bet your folks are astonished at how many CDs fit on a thumb drive, huh? I am. Probably their entire collection.

You can use Windows media player to rip them. Easy peasy plus all Windows pc's have it.

You can use Windows media player to rip them. Easy peasy plus all Windows pc's have it.

Maybe that's what I've used in the past to rip CDs to my hard drive. I didn't think I downloaded a different app. It's been a while...at home I prefer vinyl if I have it, and in my car I've listen to XM.

Well, if it doesn't have that, or a headphone jack, what good is it? :)

It works perfectly for my laptop(with no DVD/CD player). I can use headphones in that situation as my laptops has a headphone jack.

It works perfectly for my laptop(with no DVD/CD player). I can use headphones in that situation as my laptops has a headphone jack.

Since this dead horse can't feel anything anymore....how does the CD player communicate with your laptop?

edit: Never mind. It has a USB cable. Now I get it.

Maybe it has a headphone jack and he's being specific on the terminology...there's no jack labeled "AUX."

It's got to have something to get the sound out of it, unless it's a boom box with a CD player in it.

All my DVD/cd player has is an USB out "jack". I tried plugging it in to each of the 2 USB ports in the centre armrest but it was not recognized in the Audio Sources on the dash screen.

Here's a suggestion, not endorsing any particular one. Also not endorsing Amazon! Many more prices/features to choose from:
walkman.JPG

Here's a suggestion, not endorsing any particular one. Also not endorsing Amazon! Many more prices/features to choose from:

Maybe one with Bluetooth? Still I think the absolute best solution is ripping the CDs and putting them away. I had a 400 CD changer connected to my home theater receiver. After I ripped all that to a media server and used some software to organize (MediaMonkey is great for this), I packed all the CDs and have the changer in storage. Now I use the software to create playlists for moods and genres. I easily search by artist and/or album. Well worth the time and is just as useful in my living-room as in my cars. Plus no worries about finger-prints, scratches or heat warping. Easy to store and carry around.

AS an aside, many of the software programs also look-up the tracks that they are ripping and will not only tag the MP3 with the original info, but will generate a file name and/or directory structure to make manual searching easier. No need for tedious transcribing to capture the info off the album.

I can't remember the last time I bought a CD. Now I just download the tracks off iTunes or Amazon and add them to my digital collection.

Last edited:
It sounds to me like the OP has a cd drive, which is intended to be connected to a computer, not a cd player with audio output. That is not going to work in this case in my opinion. You need to get a cd player designed to output audio with a headphone jack. Or like many others have said rip your cds as they're going the way of the dodo so you're going to need to at some point. I recommend AAC over MP3 though.

Maybe one with Bluetooth? Still I think the absolute best solution is ripping the CDs and putting them away. I had a 400 CD changer connected to my home theater receiver. After I ripped all that to a media server and used some software to organize (MediaMonkey is great for this), I packed all the CDs and have the changer in storage. Now I use the software to create playlists for moods and genres. I easily search by artist and/or album. Well worth the time and is just as useful in my living-room as in my cars. Plus no worries about finger-prints, scratches or heat warping. Easy to store and carry around.

AS an aside, many of the software programs also look-up the tracks that they are ripping and will not only tag the MP3 with the original info, but will generate a file name and/or directory structure to make manual searching easier. No need for tedious transcribing to capture the info off the album.

I can't remember the last time I bought a CD. Now I just download the tracks off iTunes or Amazon and add them to my digital collection.

Not to hijack the thread but you seem pretty knowledgeable when it comes to audio. Is there a easy solution that will allow you to play thumb/flash drives directly to a stereo receiver. I have a Pioneer receiver and a cd player hooked to it. I have all my CD's (about 100) ripped to a flash drive for listening in the car. I'd like to be able to listen to the flash drive in the house. My receiver (bought in the 90's) has no interface for a usb. Is there an interface device that will take the flash drive and then plug into an aux connection on the receiver? Ideally the interface would have to have some smarts so you could see whats on the flash drive, be able to navigate through it, etc.

Not to hijack the thread but you seem pretty knowledgeable when it comes to audio. Is there a easy solution that will allow you to play thumb/flash drives directly to a stereo receiver. I have a Pioneer receiver and a cd player hooked to it. I have all my CD's (about 100) ripped to a flash drive for listening in the car. I'd like to be able to listen to the flash drive in the house. My receiver (bought in the 90's) has no interface for a usb. Is there an interface device that will take the flash drive and then plug into an aux connection on the receiver? Ideally the interface would have to have some smarts so you could see whats on the flash drive, be able to navigate through it, etc.

Not directly. You need a player to plug into your aux input. Copy the contents of your flash drive to the player. Done. Easy and cheap.

When the 6 disc changer in my 370Z crapped out I bought a little device made by Pyle, about the size of a pack of cigarettes but thinner. I was under $100 if I recall. It also needed a memory card as ir wasn't included. I had to burn some of my favorite CD's to my computer and then download the files to the device. It has both a headphone out jack and line out (preferred) jack. It plugged into the AUX jack on the 370Z dash. The car didn't have a USB port which would have simplified things.
It provided a solution to having tunes for road trips but requires having to look at the tiny screen while driving or trying to manipulate the tiny controls to go to the next track or next album, not a good thing when driving.

Back