Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I make my portable CD player work?

2018 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD non-Tech

How do I make my portable CD player work?

Even though my 2018 has no CD player I'd still like to play some CD's while driving. I plugged my portable CD player into one of the USB ports but under "Audio Sources" on the front screen neither the USB1 nor USB2 are highlighted in white so I can't play a CD. What am I doing wrong??

Registered Member

2018 Mazda CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by kdaug View Post
    Even though my 2018 has no CD player I'd still like to play some CD's while driving. I plugged my portable CD player into one of the USB ports but under "Audio Sources" on the front screen neither the USB1 nor USB2 are highlighted in white so I can't play a CD. What am I doing wrong??
    Try this - https://infotainment.mazdahandsfree....language=en-US I have a 2018 GT also. Not sure if it's different for your Canadian version.

Registered Member

2018 CX5 GT, AWD, Metallic Machine Gray

I really can't help except to suggest that you may want to consider ripping your CDs and loading them onto a USB thumb drive. There are free CD ripping software available online. I have all my CDs and LPs (from the really old days) on my laptop and loaded on several thumb drives. I have two of them in the CX5 & they work seamlessly with the CX5s entertainment system.

Wade

Registered Member

2018 CX5 GT, AWD, Metallic Machine Gray

After a quick Goggle search here is an article that my help discussing using a Bluetooth transmitter. http://www.startribune.com/sound-adv...ump/442474653/

Wade

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature

I don't think you'll be able to directly play audio CDs through the USB. The radio only supports FAT32 USB storage devices. Furthermore, it only supports MP3/WMA/AAC/OGG file formats.

Does your portable CD player have a AUX jack? You might need to plug it into the car's AUX and just use USB to power the player.

2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD titanium/black

Quote Originally Posted by St1ngy View Post
    I don't think you'll be able to directly play audio CDs through the USB. The radio only supports FAT32 USB storage devices. Furthermore, it only supports MP3/WMA/AAC/OGG file formats.

Does your portable CD player have a AUX jack? You might need to plug it into the car's AUX and just use USB to power the player.
    ^^ This.

Except that I don't believe that the USB ports can source enough current to adequately power your CD player. Check your owner's manual for info on the amount of current the USBs can provide and then check on the amount of current that your CD players needs.
    Last edited by Conrad 16.5; 10-09-2019 at 08:51 AM.
    "Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

2012 CX-9 GT AWD, Copper Red/Sand

Rip your CDs to your computer and sync to your phone and play over Bluetooth

Registered Member

There should be a computer program (for computers that still have CDROMs) to automatically create a Spotify playlist from songs on the CD

Quote Originally Posted by Zig613 View Post
    I really can't help except to suggest that you may want to consider ripping your CDs and loading them onto a USB thumb drive. There are free CD ripping software available online. I have all my CDs and LPs (from the really old days) on my laptop and loaded on several thumb drives. I have two of them in the CX5 & they work seamlessly with the CX5s entertainment system.

Wade
    At 30+/- minutes to rip a CD that could take an huge amount of time to copy any collection!!

Quote Originally Posted by St1ngy View Post

Unfortunately my portable CD player does not have an AUX jack. I also thought that this idea would resolve my problem until I saw no AUX jack on the CD player. Maybe I need to shop around for such a player. Having to rip all my CD's on to a flash drive could take weeks or even months!!
    Last edited by kdaug; 10-09-2019 at 06:29 PM.

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Touring

At 30+/- minutes to rip a CD that could take an huge amount of time to copy any collection!!
    What? Does your computer have vacuum tubes?

Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

Quote Originally Posted by Martyd View Post
    What? Does your computer have vacuum tubes?
    Haha

Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

Unfortunately my portable CD player does not have an AUX jack. I also thought that this idea would resolve my problem until I saw no AUX jack on the CD player. Maybe I need to shop around for such a player. Having to rip all my CD's on to a flash drive could take weeks or even months!!
    Does it have a headphone jack? That's the same port for aux.. you just need an aux cord, which is basically two headphone Jack's on each end.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature

With a moderately powerful PC it only takes a few minutes to rip an entire CD. Depending on the sample rate (compression quality), you might be able to get your entire CD collection on one or two USB sticks. However, it gets unwieldy and tedious searching through the a large storage device to find what you are looking for. Seriously, were you planning on taking your entire CD collection with you?

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    Does it have a headphone jack? That's the same port for aux.. you just need an aux cord, which is basically two headphone Jack's on each end.
    This should work for you. Male to Male.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast