2019 mazda6, 2019 cx-9 earn iihs top safety pick+ award

:
2019 Mazda CX-9 Signature, Machine Grey Metallic
2019 mazda6, 2019 cx-9 earn iihs top safety pick+ award

2019 MAZDA6, 2019 CX-9 EARN IIHS TOP SAFETY PICK+ AWARD
MAZDA VEHICLES CONTINUE TO BE AMONG THE SAFEST ON THE ROAD

October 7, 2019

WASHINGTON, DC (October 7, 2019) The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) today announced that the 2019 Mazda6 and 2019 CX-9 have earned its TOP SAFETY PICK+ award when equipped with front crash prevention and specific headlights built after June 2019. The 2019 TSP+ for 2019 Mazda6 and CX-9 will carry over to the 2020 MY.

To qualify for a 2019 TOP SAFETY PICK+ award, a vehicle has to earn good ratings in the driver-side small overlap front, passenger-side small overlap front, moderate overlap front, side, roof strength and head restraint tests. It must also earn an advanced or superior rating for front crash prevention and be equipped with good headlights.

Both the 2019 Mazda6 and 2019 CX-9 have earned good ratings in all crashworthiness tests, superior front crash prevention ratings, and have now earned good ratings for improved headlights.

With the driver in mind, Mazda takes an active approach to safety and gives the driver more peace of mind, which makes driving more fun,said Mazda President Jeff Guyton. Confident driving is better driving, and the updates to the 2019 Mazda6 and 2019 CX-9 show Mazdas commitment to providing our customers with advanced safety technologies.

The 2019 Mazda6 and 2019 CX-9 now join the 2019 CX-5 as TOP SAFETY PICK+ winners, while the 2019 Mazda3 Sedan and Hatch, and 2019 CX-3 earn the TOP SAFETY PICK award.

The Mazda6 is on sale now with a starting MSRP of $23,800.

The CX-9 is on sale now with a starting MSRP of $32,280.

The IIHS is an independent, non-governmental safety-testing organization, funded by the insurance industry. For more information, visit IIHS.org.

Mazda North American Operations is headquartered in Irvine, California, and oversees the sales, marketing, parts and customer service support of Mazda vehicles in the United States and Mexico through nearly 700 dealers. Operations in Mexico are managed by Mazda Motor de Mexico in Mexico City. For more information on Mazda vehicles, including photography and B-roll, please visit the online Mazda media center at InsideMazda.MazdaUSA.com/Newsroom.

Follow MNAOs social media channels through Twitter and Instagram at @MazdaUSA and Facebook at Facebook.com/MazdaUSA.

I wonder what they changed in the headlights built after June 2019.

Unrelated, but it looks like the 2019 model also got a new windshield (green tint glass with UV shield). Nice, hope that helps with the cabin heat issues a few owners have reported.

Unrelated, but it looks like the 2019 model also got a new windshield (green tint glass with UV shield). Nice, hope that helps with the cabin heat issues a few owners have reported.

How'd you find that out? I was thinking of getting our 2019's windshield tinted.

I went to the Mazda.ca website to look at the spec deck for the 2019 CX-9, to see if they listed any changes to the headlights (there were none). At the bottom of the Interior Features list, it states the windshield as standard across all trims. Oddly enough, it doesn't list it on the mazdausa.com site. It's possible that it's always been on the CX-9 and I simply never noticed it before.

How would one find out production month from a vin? I guess that maybe dealer has production date on an invoice or could decode vin's serial number?

How would one find out production month from a vin? I guess that maybe dealer has production date on an invoice or could decode vin's serial number?

I think it's on the sticker on the driver-side door, the production month, that is.

Last edited:
M

I wonder what they changed in the headlights built after June 2019.

I had asked the same question about the headlight change in 2018, but got no response. If you follow the IIHS testing history for the CX-9, the headlight went from good, then bad in 2018, and now good again in 2019.

Of course, I own the bad ones (2018). They are pretty bright in my opinion, so I think this may be more of a aiming issue/change instead of hardware but I am just guessing at this point.

I had asked the same question about the headlight change in 2018, but got no response. If you follow the IIHS testing history for the CX-9, the headlight went from good, then bad in 2018, and now good again in 2019.

Of course, I own the bad ones (2018). They are pretty bright in my opinion, so I think this may be more of a aiming issue/change instead of hardware but I am just guessing at this point.

Agreed, it could also just be that their testing criteria changed over the years while the headlights stayed the same. Who knows. They work well enough for me so I'm not too concerned.

I thought I read the signature model lights earned the top rating but lower models don*t.

Back