Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: CX-5 GS (Canada)

  1. #16
    Registered Member

    2018 AWD GT Premium Red/Black

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    722
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Engine or transmission replacement for a year old car is a big discouragement to the brand trust for many. This*s just an example for those who believe this cylinder deactivation is not a disaster to Mazda. Most of those who encountered such major ticket replacement for their year old car would lost confidence and may not come back to get another Mazda. This*s not just to the guy I mentioned above, but many who don*t post or don*t post anymore, including several friends and family of mine but not because of these two major items.
    Every manufacturer will have some engines that fail early. An anecdote of one failure isn't useful information.

  2. #17
    Registered Member

    2019 CX-5 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    No one knows how serious the CD problem is. It's a BIG problem for those who experience a failure, but we don't know how common the failures are. At least common enough to have numerous report in this forum, a very small subset of Mazda owners. It's important that consumers know what they're buying. Yrwei is doing buyers a real service by making them aware of the potential problem.
    ...
    Numerous? Please define. If it was a serious issue, this forum would be flooded with owners complaining. It's the first thing people do when they have an issue like that, go to a forum and scream about it. Besides the 2 members I've seen with a real issue, the majority of naysayers are from owners who have older CX-5's, who are patting themselves on the backs for not replacing them with the newer version.

  3. #18
    Structural Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    State of Jefferson - SO Oregon
    Posts
    2,539
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig cx-5 View Post
    Numerous? Please define. If it was a serious issue, this forum would be flooded with owners complaining. It's the first thing people do when they have an issue like that, go to a forum and scream about it. Besides the 2 members I've seen with a real issue, the majority of naysayers are from owners who have older CX-5's, who are patting themselves on the backs for not replacing them with the newer version.
    If you've only seen 2 reports, you haven't been paying attention. Even Mazda confirmed 26 others back in May when we first learned of it.
    There's a lot of discussion about this in the engine section. Several threads. It's a lot of words, and a lot of speculation. If you have a Sig, I can see how you might not care enough to read all of it.
    But for those considering a $20-40k purchase, it's important to be informed.

    Numerous? Many. It's intentionally imprecise. But I bet you knew that.

  4. #19
    Registered Member

    2019 CX-5 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    If you've only seen 2 reports, you haven't been paying attention. Even Mazda confirmed 26 others back in May when we first learned of it.
    ...
    The two I'm referring to are from posters on this forum, so yes, I've been paying attention. That said, I would not be surprised if there were 24 others that you say Mazda has confirmed. That's a very small percentage when compared to overall vehicles sold with CD.

    Mazda was never on the map when we started out looking for my wife's replacement vehicle. To me, they were the Kia/Hyundai of Japan. Just like the Korean brands, Mazda has stepped up their game and addresses issues as they arise. I have not heard of a single CD related failure after having the recall performed, have you?

    Yes, we have a Sig, so no CD. I'm more of an outsider, that takes issue with posters on the forum making assumptions with nothing to back them up with. Until there's proof of a real issue, I will continue to call out the those crying wolf.

  5. #20
    Structural Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    State of Jefferson - SO Oregon
    Posts
    2,539
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig cx-5 View Post
    I have not heard of a single CD related failure after having the recall performed, have you?
    Yes. If you don't know about Glock32's experience, you certainly have not been paying attention. Our concerns are based on facts, not assumptions.

  6. #21
    Work in Progress sm1ke's Avatar
    Donated: $25

    2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    MB, Canada
    Posts
    1,914
    Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    Yes. If you don't know about Glock32's experience, you certainly have not been paying attention. Our concerns are based on facts, not assumptions.
    My understanding is that Glock32's CX-5 was experiencing symptoms of a loose rocker arm. He took it to the dealer, they did the recall, and sent him on his way. Following the recall, he was still experiencing symptoms, so he brought the car back and they determined that the rocker arm had fallen off and the engine needed to be replaced.

    If that's correct, that shows that the recall, which is a software update, does not correct the mechanical issue of a rocker arm that has already fallen off. Makes sense. What Mazda should be doing as part of this recall is treating loss of power complaints as if the rocker arm has already fallen off, and inspecting the engines to confirm this before swapping in new engines.

    But back to the point.. I'd be more interested in seeing a case where someone buys a new car with CD, the dealer does the recall before delivering the car, but the car still experiences loss of power issues or needs to have the engine replaced because the rocker arm fell off. That would be almost infalliable evidence that the software doesn't do shit. I say almost because we don't how how the car was driven to load it onto the boat/train/truck and get it to the dealership - a lot attendant could have easily driven it in such a way that would cause the rocker arm to fall off before the car got to the dealership and the service guys had a chance to do the recall.

  7. #22
    Registered Member

    2019 CX-5 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    Yes. If you don't know about Glock32's experience, you certainly have not been paying attention. Our concerns are based on facts, not assumptions.
    The recall will not correct a mechanical issue that has already occurred, as pointed out by sm1ke. Show me proof of a failure, post recall, on an engine that wasn't already compromised. Your "concerns" are based on fearmongering, not facts.

  8. #23
    Registered Member

    2018 AWD GT Premium Red/Black

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    722
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig cx-5 View Post
    The recall will not correct a mechanical issue that has already occurred, as pointed out by sm1ke. Show me proof of a failure, post recall, on an engine that wasn't already compromised. Your "concerns" are based on fearmongering, not facts.
    There's nothing wrong with being skeptical, and/or concerned that there could be a lingering issue.

    It's just that there is no evidence that there is a lingering issue, and hence no justification for the doom and gloom pronouncements.
    Last edited by murky; 10-09-2019 at 12:52 PM.

  9. #24
    Structural Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    State of Jefferson - SO Oregon
    Posts
    2,539
    Quote Originally Posted by murky View Post
    There's nothing wrong with being skeptical, and/or concerned that there could be a lingering issue.

    It's just that there is no evidence that there is a lingering issue, and hence no justification for the doom and gloom pronouncements.
    This is the point. Nobody knows the extent of the problems, but we know for sure that they exist in some engines. Mazda had been selling these engines for almost two years before they started recalling them. They are not inspecting the engines that come in for the software fix, so the owners have no way of knowing if their engine had been previously compromised. That's unforgivable to my mind. They know the dangers.

    Everyone will have a different attitude about the CD failures. I truly hope it's not an ongoing problem because I don't want to see Mazda hurt by this. I think they're a great car company. I just think they're shooting themselves in the foot by not doing what needs to be done to make sure this has the minimum impact on its customers.

    Some of us are raising questions. Answers are not forthcoming. Absence of evidence, which Sig claims, never proves anything. Raising issues and asking questions is not fear mongering or doom and gloom. Absence of knowledge is, by definition, ignorance. People deserve to know all they can about the problem.

    The recall is less than 2 months old. Time will tell.

  10. #25
    Structural Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    State of Jefferson - SO Oregon
    Posts
    2,539
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig cx-5 View Post
    The recall will not correct a mechanical issue that has already occurred, as pointed out by sm1ke. Show me proof of a failure, post recall, on an engine that wasn't already compromised. Your "concerns" are based on fearmongering, not facts.
    You didn't really think the software fix would solve a mechanical problem, did you? Or that anyone would?

    Concerns=fearmongering? Newspeak. Absense of evidence? Meaningless.

  11. #26
    Registered Member

    2019 CX-5 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    You didn't really think the software fix would solve a mechanical problem, did you? Or that anyone would?
    ...
    Of course not. I was simply pointing out your error in using Glock32 as an example of a post fix failure.

  12. #27
    Structural Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    State of Jefferson - SO Oregon
    Posts
    2,539
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig cx-5 View Post
    Of course not. I was simply pointing out your error in using Glock32 as an example of a post fix failure.
    It literally was a post "fix" failure. They sent him on his way, and it wasn't fixed.

    The point is that the recall may or may not "fix" the problems, regardless of the car's previous condition. We don't know yet.

    You're looking in the wrong place because you're asking the wrong question. Be patient. More information will be forthcoming.

  13. #28
    Registered Member

    2019 CX-5 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    It literally was a post "fix" failure. They sent him on his way, and it wasn't fixed.
    Yes, post recall on an engine that was already damaged prior to it. Show me a post fix failure on a fresh sale. That's really the point here, as the OP was responded to with this:

    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Actually you should get the GX as it's 2.5L doesn't have cylinder deactivation.

    Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    The point is that the recall may or may not "fix" the problems, regardless of the car's previous condition. We don't know yet.

    You're looking in the wrong place because you're asking the wrong question. Be patient. More information will be forthcoming.
    What we know, is that this hasn't been a huge concern for owners of these vehicles. As, failures to date have been sparse. I agree that it would be comforting if Mazda would include some type of reassurance to those that have the recall performed. Especially, after driving around several months plus without it. If they can't visually verify, at least extend the warranty to cover any potential failure down the road. All I can say, is I would rather have a CX-5 with CD, than a CR-V with their excessive oil dilution.

  14. #29
    Structural Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    State of Jefferson - SO Oregon
    Posts
    2,539
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig cx-5 View Post
    ... Show me a post fix failure on a fresh sale. That's really the point here...
    No, it's entirely beside the point and doesn't prove anything. Obviously, we have differing ideas about what the "point" is.
    ...What we know, is that this hasn't been a huge concern for owners of these vehicles. As, failures to date have been sparse...
    C'mon, man you're just blowing smoke. We don't know any of that. All we know about this is what we read here, populated by a tiny subset of Mazda owners. We don't have enough data to know what the situation really is.

    You seem sure it's not a big problem because you haven't heard of any failures after the fix. That doesn't make sense. I think it's a bigger problem because we just don't know how widespread it is, and how effective the "fix" is. And I think Mazda is not handling it well from the customer's standpoint at all. And because I understand how critical an unexpected loss of power can be.

    To summarize, you've got your mind made up, and I'm waiting for more data. So be it. In the meanwhile, potential buyers can make up their own minds based on all of the available information.

  15. #30
    Registered Member

    2018 CX-5 Sport

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    533
    My take on CD is, rocker arm failure is not a widespread problem and the recall fixed the potential problem. Mazda said that. However if my car throws a rocker off while I am zooming on the highway in the center lane, I would be very angry at Mazda for lying and I would probably let everyone know about it on all bulletin boards.

    About the choice of models, if a person is only going to have their car for 5 years or less then buy any trim you want. Others, like myself, keep cars for a minimum of 10 years, and I would have preferred one without CD and without a turbo and without all the whistles and bells such as tire pressure monitors and autonomous braking and intelligent cruise control etc that can go wrong and expensive to repair.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mazda Canada 0W20 - Idemitsu Vs. Petro Canada
    By dusterdust in forum CX-5 Engine & Transmission
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-27-2013, 05:46 PM
  2. 0w20 from Mazda Canada: Idemitsu vs Petro Canada?
    By dusterdust in forum CX-5 Engine & Transmission
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-10-2013, 01:04 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2013, 01:09 PM
  4. Canada!!!
    By mazdaspeedpower in forum Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 02:14 AM
  5. More MS6's for Canada!!!
    By Mazda3 in forum Mazda6 General
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-10-2004, 07:31 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •