Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CX-5 GS (Canada)

Registered Member

CX-5 GS (Canada)

I test drove the 2019 Cx-5 Gs today. I enjoyed the vehicle and it moved to the top of my list. After reading through information here I see a lot of love for this vehicle. However it seems like most people have higher end models that the GS. For me the GT is outside of my budget so if going with a CX-5 it has to be the GS. My question is will I still love the vehicle and will it be a solid choice if getting the GS trim?

2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD

Make sure you can get AEB as an option, or stretch for the next trim up. In the U.S., the i-activsense package sells separately for $625 on base models.

The vehicle will take a resale hit without the AEB suite. For what it costs, those safety features (mainly the front facing radar) are worth the price.

That package will be standard for the U.S. and presumably Canada for the 2020 model year, along with a price bump to accommodate it.
    Last edited by Chocolate; 10-08-2019 at 12:06 AM.

Registered Member

The GS trim does include the I-activesense suite.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow CX-5 GS (Canada)

Quote Originally Posted by Myles24 View Post
    I test drove the 2019 Cx-5 Gs today. I enjoyed the vehicle and it moved to the top of my list. After reading through information here I see a lot of love for this vehicle. However it seems like most people have higher end models that the GS. For me the GT is outside of my budget so if going with a CX-5 it has to be the GS. My question is will I still love the vehicle and will it be a solid choice if getting the GS trim?
    Actually you should get the GX as it's 2.5L doesn't have cylinder deactivation.

2019 GX (Canada) - cylinder deactivation

2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD

In that case it should be a good choice. There's nothing I felt I needed from the mid-upper trims. There are some nice upgrades available in the upper trims, but I'm very happy with the base trim. It's a very competitive entry in the segment.

I've posted this before but check out what Toyota gives you for the same price. Reflector halogen headlights, steel wheels with hubcaps, and a plastic steering wheel.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post

Arrow CX-5 GS (Canada)

Quote Originally Posted by Sig cx-5 View Post

We don't know if the OP cares about cylinder deactivation. But we do see several posts here that they bought the CX-5 without knowing the cylinder deactivation is featured on 2.5L and regretted the purchase. OP asked the question and apparently he is concerned about the price. The price for CX-5 GX in Canada is lower than GS, and it doesn't have the CD. We want the OP know there's another option in Canada which is a solid choice with even lower price

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

We don't know if the OP cares about cylinder deactivation. But we do see several posts here that they bought the CX-5 without knowing the cylinder deactivation is featured on 2.5L and regretted the purchase. OP asked the question and apparently he is concerned about the price. The price for CX-5 GX in Canada is lower than GS, and it doesn't have the CD. We want the OP know there's another option in Canada which is a solid choice with even lower price
    CD has not been a proven catastrophe, as you keep alluding to. Over and over again...

Arrow CX-5 GS (Canada)

Quote Originally Posted by Sig cx-5 View Post
    CD has not been a proven catastrophe, as you keep alluding to. Over and over again...
    You may feel this way but for many with engine replaced within a year of ownership they may feel differently. The safety recall on CD is legit as it's dangerous under certain situation. I've seen a guy here who was happy getting a 2016 CX-5 and said all nice words on it. But once his transmission acted up and got replaced at less than 10K miles, he drove his CX-5 with a just-replaced transmission out of the Mazda dealer and straight to a Toyota dealer nearby and traded his CX-5 in!

My post is merely to let the OP know there's an option for getting a CX-5 in Canada with a good reason and better price apparently he is concerned about. I don't see why we want to bury our head in the sand and hide the fact.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

You may feel this way but for many with engine replaced within a year of ownership they may feel differently. The safety recall on CD is legit as it's dangerous under certain situation. I've seen a guy here who was happy getting a 2016 CX-5 and said all nice words on it. But once his transmission acted up and got replaced at less than 10K miles, he drove his CX-5 with a just-replaced transmission out of the Mazda dealer and straight to a Toyota dealer nearby and traded his CX-5 in!.
    Many? I've only heard of a couple on here. Anyways, the recall was put in place to correct the issue a few people were having. Unlike Honda, who is telling their customers it's fine to run around with a quart, or more, of gas mixed in with their oil.

I've seen a guy here who was happy getting a 2016 CX-5 and said all nice words on it. But once his transmission acted up and got replaced at less than 10K miles, he drove his CX-5 with a just-replaced transmission out of the Mazda dealer and straight to a Toyota dealer nearby and traded his CX-5 in!
    What does this even add to the conversation?

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

My post is merely to let the OP know there's an option for getting a CX-5 in Canada with a good reason and better price apparently he is concerned about. I don't see why we want to bury our head in the sand and hide the fact.
    I agree, I see nothing wrong with giving someone a heads up.

The problem is your phrasing from your first post. When I read your post, it sounds like you're forcing your opinion on the OP by telling them which trim to get because it doesn't have CD. It's better to simply provide the info and let OP decide for himself.

Arrow CX-5 GS (Canada)

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    What does this even add to the conversation?
    Engine or transmission replacement for a year old car is a big discouragement to the brand trust for many. Thisís just an example for those who believe this cylinder deactivation is not a disaster to Mazda. Most of those who encountered such major ticket replacement for their year old car would lost confidence and may not come back to get another Mazda. Thisís not just to the guy I mentioned above, but many who donít post or donít post anymore, including several friends and family of mine but not because of these two major items.

Registered Member

Mazda

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate View Post
    In that case it should be a good choice. There's nothing I felt I needed from the mid-upper trims. There are some nice upgrades available in the upper trims, but I'm very happy with the base trim. It's a very competitive entry in the segment.

I've posted this before but check out what Toyota gives you for the same price. Reflector halogen headlights, steel wheels with hubcaps, and a plastic steering wheel.
    All models come standard LED reflectors. The hybrid comes with LED projectors

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

No one knows how serious the CD problem is. It's a BIG problem for those who experience a failure, but we don't know how common the failures are. At least common enough to have numerous report in this forum, a very small subset of Mazda owners. It's important that consumers know what they're buying. Yrwei is doing buyers a real service by making them aware of the potential problem.

It may seem to some that yrwei is beating a dead horse, but that's only to regular readers. If someone is new to the forum, they may have not seen other posts concerning the issue, and may not bother to look. Anyway, plenty of other members share their same stories and/or opinions repeatedly, over and over, again and again....

If you've read it before, you can just scroll to the next post.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast