Infotainment clear cover

Eagles

:
2014 GT
I was doing some work behind the dash and in doing so, I had the Infotainment unit gently lying on the shift knob (it's got a soft leather 'top', right?). Well, when I got the dash all back, I noticed some scratches/wear marks on the clear cover. Yikes. I then wiped on some ceramic stove top cleaner. It's a soft goop like wax with microscopic particles that does wonders for stove tops - maybe not so much for info covers. 90% of driving time, it's clear as a bell, but when the sun hits it right, it looks awful. Any suggestions? Can I replace 'just' the clear cover? Another compound that may alleviate my goof?

I really wish I didn't do this......but. Thanks for your help.

You should try and determine if the screen is glass or a plastic. If it is a plastic you may want to try Novus Heavy Scratch Remover No. 3 followed by Novus Fine Scratch Remover No. 2. I have removed some pretty fine scratches in plastic using Novus products https://www.novuspolish.com/.

Wade

One more vote for Novus. Great for cloudy headlight lenses, DVDs, everything plastic.

I don't think you're supposed to use anything on the screen except warm water and a clean soft cloth. The stove top cleaner is an abrasive. Since you've already done the damage, you might as well give Novus a try. I've read good things about their plastic polishes.

I wonder if you could pick up a used infotainment head at a junkyard.

So I went to a friend of mine - he does lots of ground-up restoration of classic cars, army jeeps, etc. Good guy and he gave me, of course, the 'you dumb ass' look. But, he took one look and said "Mother's Machine Glaze". He had an virtual empty bottle and gave to me as a test. And I mean, the bottle was empty - about enough to fill a toothpaste cap. But it worked. I ordered a 32 ounce bottle on Amazon - 1/2 the price of a store.....they sell much smaller sizes, but not on amazon. It came in two days and I just got to the dash/info center today. The two dash panels come off very easy - and The Mothers did the trick. It to is an abrasive - but 3000 grit. It's a little tough getting to bottom corners as parts of the dash are still in the way....but I didn't feel like taking the info center out - if you're careful, it's pretty straight forward.

Not only did it work, it looks better than new. Stuff is really good, and although I wish I didn't do so in the first place, I am 100% satisfied. It is an absolute shiny mirror like effect. The shop guy swears by it and says it works like magic on any plastic, hard plastic, and for troublesome 'micro-fine' swirls in new paint. He mentioned that he goes thru gallons of the stuff in the course of a year. Lesson learned......

Is it a touch screen? I wouldn*t think any abrasive product would be desirable for a touch screen, even if it*s a mild abrasive.

Back