Thread: Keep Using "Mazda Full Synthetic 0W-20 Gf-5 With Moly Engine Oil" for oil changes?

Registered Member

Keep Using "Mazda Full Synthetic 0W-20 Gf-5 With Moly Engine Oil" for oil changes?

Thanks to this community I have been using the"Mazda Full Synthetic 0W-20 Gf-5 With Moly Engine Oil" for my oil changes (3 so far) on my 2018 CX-5 GT.

I buy the 1QT sizes at the dealer and have them change out the oil etc.

My question is : is it bad to keep using this Molly oil for the life of the car? will too much Molly ultimately be too much of a good thing? should I begin using what the manual suggests: SAE 0W-20 Castrol or whatever the dealers put in which I assume is SAE 0W-20 Castrol?

thanks for any input.

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

Your MAZDA engine will have a long and happy life running MAZDA Moly engine oil throughout its life. Ed

2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD titanium/black

There's no reason not to keep using this Mazda oil, that's what I plan on doing. Except that I do all my own work. Other than that, carry on.
    "Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Registered Member

Soon to be 2.5T CX-5

No reason at all to stop using it. Only reason I did was to save money. Using Penn Platinum like a lot of folks here, but the Castrol Edge, Mobil1, and even Rotella truck will do you just as good if you chose to go that route. I do continue to use the OEM filter, and will always do so.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Keep Using "Mazda Full Synthetic 0W-20 Gf-5 With Moly Engine Oil" for oil changes?

Same here. I plan to use Mazda moly 0W-20 oil and OEM oil filter (not the Value line) for as long as I own the CX-5. And I also DIY for all the maintenance.

Registered Member

Is it the same for the turbo?

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by dihawk View Post
    Is what the same?

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by dihawk View Post
    No. The turbo uses 5w30 and I don't believe the quart 5w30 bottles offered by Mazda are the high moly versions like the 0w20 is.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 86k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by starfish View Post
    Thanks to this community I have been using the"Mazda Full Synthetic 0W-20 Gf-5 With Moly Engine Oil" for my oil changes (3 so far) on my 2018 CX-5 GT.

I buy the 1QT sizes at the dealer and have them change out the oil etc.

My question is : is it bad to keep using this Molly oil for the life of the car? will too much Molly ultimately be too much of a good thing? should I begin using what the manual suggests: SAE 0W-20 Castrol or whatever the dealers put in which I assume is SAE 0W-20 Castrol?

thanks for any input.
    The high moly Mazda 0w20 oil is considered great oil and you should have no qualms continuing to run it.

I don't run it only because I don't feel it is worth the price premium over a 5qt jug of Castrol Edge, or Pennzoil Platinum, or whatever brand you use. It's at least $20 or more per oil change cost for me over using the other brands. If you can get it at a good deal, then go for it, or if the cost premium doesn't bother you, then keep using it. BITOG, as well as oil analysis reports here have all pointed to the high-moly 0w20 oil being great oil.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.