Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 59

Thread: Automatic Emergency Breaking Front/Rear

  1. #31
    Registered Member

    2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Posts
    1,473
    Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    That's nice because then you can apply LESS brake pressure than the threshold when you need to stop but might not want the brakes to hold, like when you drive up to a light that is just about to turn green.
    Funny, I engaged it 3-4 times, and one of those [inconveniently] was when the light was about to change.

    Good to know about the brake pressure. I can see using A.H. when I go into the larger towns/cities around here. Since I've been here, Charlottesville at times has become as congested as Northern Virginia...not because of absolute volume, but because of relative capacity.

    All this Drive-by-Wire opens up tons of feature options, huh?

    edit to add: Regarding the Smart Braking, I commented that I had BRAKE! appear on my HUD (without braking) for no apparent reason one Sunday morning as I headed into a curve. Well, the manual cites the specific condition of heading into a curve where a fence is present (one was) as possibly triggering the system. I must have been doing just the right speed, because I go that way weekly and this happened that one time. Yet I've sometimes come up quickly on folks who are turning out of my way and had BRAKE! appear but not had the system engage under those conditions as others report.

    It's had to pick apart because we're not testing in controlled conditions, we're cobbling memories after the fact.
    Last edited by Avoidin Deer; 10-12-2019 at 07:49 PM.

  2. #32
    Registered Member

    2019 CX5 GTR

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin Deer View Post
    I thought this was not supposed to engage if the system saw human interaction with the brakes, accelerator or steering wheel. Or am I thinking of something else?
    I hadn't hit the brake yet as I was going to steer around, maybe it happened prior to me moving the steering wheel, but my hands were on the wheel.

  3. #33
    Registered Member Ronzuki's Avatar

    2018 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by wlong01 View Post
    Anyway, I'm still unclear if it would of braked or not. I'm not taking the chance.
    Oh trust me...you'll know, it's crystal clear, and you'd better be ready for it. It's a full on 'slam the brakes', pedal to the floor, ABS activation, the whole works. Likely screwed up my drivetrain as I was not at all in a braking posture. Two weeks into owning the thing and I was almost rear-ended by a Jeep while passing a buggy (a maneuver so mundane around here it's like taking a breath). The automotive software systems 'engineers' (loose term), apparently didn't take into account local driving styles. The what-ifs of programming...it's a perfect world ya know. Like our driving style around here regarding buggies in the road. The brakes slammed on hard same time as the warning (it's setting was as low as it can go). Full slam, full stop. My hand was resting on the shifter which then was pushed forward into neutral, because, well, I wasn't expecting the stupid car to slam the brakes (that's the be ready part). Now I have zero forward drive power to get out of the way of the Jeep following me (extremely pissed off evidenced by the horn and screeching tires) because he wasn't expecting "me" to pull a stupid, bone-headed stunt like coming to a complete stop while performing the common everyday maneuver of rounding a buggy. Nice huh? How's that for 'safety'?? Absolutely hate all of this annoying half-azzed and over-complicated automation chit in vehicles that can't be disabled. But hey, no heated side mirrors in a $30k+ AWD vehicle in the Northeast U.S. right? Makes perfect sense.
    Last edited by Ronzuki; 10-15-2019 at 07:03 AM.
    Ron
    ____________________
    2018 CX-5 Touring AWD Eternal Blue Mica
    2011 Suzuki SX4 iAWD
    2010 Suzuki Kizashi GTS iAWD

  4. #34
    Registered Member

    CX5

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    54
    It's a good tool to assist you if it detects the possibility of an impact with the vehicle in front of you, given your speed and distance to that vehicle. I've had it pop up twice on my CX5, both times when there was a slow turning vehicle in front of me.

  5. #35
    Registered Member Ronzuki's Avatar

    2018 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Posts
    31
    This particular PITA (almost quite literally for the CX5's hind quarters several times now) is, most definitely, not a tool...one can choose to select and use a tool, or, leave it in the drawer. I can't choose NOT to use this this particular annoyance the same way I can choose to not use lane keep assist or radar assist cruise control. Great idea, in theory. However, as is the case all too often anymore with vehicle automation, very poorly planned and implemented. It is, however, an excellent, over-complicated, high-priced, nanny-minder feature for people who like to sit behind the wheel and do everything else BUT drive the vehicle. Still want some heated side mirrors...now those are excellent tools to have in the part of the country where I commute.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  6. #36
    Registered Member

    2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Posts
    1,473
    I thought this could be turned off through the accessories settings (although it automatically turns back on each time you start the car).

    Do I misunderstand?

  7. #37
    Registered Member Ronzuki's Avatar

    2018 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Posts
    31
    @Avoidin Deer...digging your screen name right about now. Negative. Sensitivity can be changed (and it remains where it's set from one driving cycle to the next), but, the 'feature' can not be completely disabled...at least on my 2018. Dealer has no way of completely disabling it either because...it's supposedly a "safety" feature...least that's the line I was fed when I demanded it to be shut off last visit. I'm certain there's probably a way to do so, but they can't per Mazda for perceived liability reasons. I stated in my service order that this so-called "safety feature" nearly caused me to be rear-ended several times. They, dealer and Mazda both, could have cared less. I get rear-ended because of this "safety feature" and I'll send them both the bill. Been driving like I drive for 40+ years and never ran into anything (on 4-wheel drum brakes long before ABS), nor, have ever been rear-ended. I get this safety-laden techno-marvel and I've nearly been rear-ended three times and it's braked on its own for stupid reasons many times. The automation needs to learn how I drive and not the other way around.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  8. #38
    Structural Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    State of Jefferson - SO Oregon
    Posts
    2,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronzuki View Post
    This particular PITA (almost quite literally for the CX5's hind quarters several times now) is, most definitely, not a tool...one can choose to select and use a tool, or, leave it in the drawer. I can't choose NOT to use this this particular annoyance the same way I can choose to not use lane keep assist or radar assist cruise control. Great idea, in theory. However, as is the case all too often anymore with vehicle automation, very poorly planned and implemented. It is, however, an excellent, over-complicated, high-priced, nanny-minder feature for people who like to sit behind the wheel and do everything else BUT drive the vehicle. Still want some heated side mirrors...now those are excellent tools to have in the part of the country where I commute.
    Have you considered disconnecting the physical lead to the radar? Don't know if it would work, would likely generate a constant error message, but might suit your purposes better.

  9. #39
    Work in Progress sm1ke's Avatar
    Donated: $25

    2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    MB, Canada
    Posts
    2,038
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronzuki View Post
    @Avoidin Deer...digging your screen name right about now. Negative. Sensitivity can be changed (and it remains where it's set from one driving cycle to the next), but, the 'feature' can not be completely disabled...at least on my 2018. Dealer has no way of completely disabling it either because...it's supposedly a "safety" feature...least that's the line I was fed when I demanded it to be shut off last visit. I'm certain there's probably a way to do so, but they can't per Mazda for perceived liability reasons. I stated in my service order that this so-called "safety feature" nearly caused me to be rear-ended several times. They, dealer and Mazda both, could have cared less. I get rear-ended because of this "safety feature" and I'll send them both the bill. Been driving like I drive for 40+ years and never ran into anything (on 4-wheel drum brakes long before ABS), nor, have ever been rear-ended. I get this safety-laden techno-marvel and I've nearly been rear-ended three times and it's braked on its own for stupid reasons many times. The automation needs to learn how I drive and not the other way around.
    Systems like this are meant to prevent the close calls you seem to have been putting yourself in for the past 40+ years. It's great that you've never had any issues (up until now), but it sounds like you're pulling out from behind the buggy way too late (or coming up on it too fast). I drive pretty aggressively in my CX-9 sometimes, and I've had to maneuver from behind a semi truck while accelerating to get out of the way of an emergency vehicle behind me. The "Brake!" warning has come up in situations like that, but it hasn't braked for me, and I felt that I was cutting it VERY close.

    Maybe you should adjust your driving style a little bit to accommodate the warning system. If not, you should find a different, older car (not a new one, because a new one will have AEB and will likely perform the same way that Mazda's system does). I don't think you'll have any chance of winning this in court if your argument is "I've been driving the way that I do for 40+ years, the system is flawed".

  10. #40
    Registered Member

    2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Posts
    1,473
    From my 2019 CX-5 Owner's Manual on the Smart Braking System (SBS).

    Pg 4-174:
    In the following cases, turn the system off to prevent a mis-operation:

    -The vehicle is being towed or when towing another vehicle.
    -The vehicle is on a chassis roller.
    -When driving on rough roads such as in areas of dense grass or off-road.
    The SBS system operates when all of the following conditions are met:
    The ignition is switched ON.
    The SBS system is on.
    The vehicle speed is about 15 km/h or faster (10 mph or faster).
    The relative speed between your vehicle and the vehicle ahead is about 15 km/h or faster (10 mph or faster).
    The Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) is not operating.
    Pg. 4-175:
    Stopping The Smart Brake Support (SBS) System Operation

    The SBS system can be temporarily deactivated. Refer to Personalization Features on page 9-12. When the SBS system is turned off, the SBS OFF indicator light turns on. When the engine is restarted, the system becomes operational. NOTE If the SBS system operation is turned off, the Smart City Brake Support (SCBS) system operation is turned off simultaneously.
    Pg 4-172:
    Says you can separately turn off the Smart City Brake Support system.

    Pg. 4-28:


    Funny how in 2019 you can shut the thing down. There's gotta be a reason, huh?
    Last edited by Avoidin Deer; 10-16-2019 at 04:27 PM.

  11. #41
    Registered Member

    2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Posts
    1,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronzuki View Post
    @Avoidin Deer...digging your screen name right about now.
    If by "right now" you mean the rut, I'm hip. Been driving in this state since the early 70s, never hit a deer until I moved to this rural area. I hit 6 my first 5 years here...the last one took out my 1990 Volvo 740. I was less than 2,000 miles shy of hitting 200,000 and did not have full coverage due to its age. Off to the salvage yard...

    The funny thing was I live on a large lot surrounded by farms and vacant lots, so I watch critters all the time through my patio door. That deer was the nicest buck I've seen since I moved here, just standing in the middle of the road on a foggy night. As the comedian Ron White used to say "Elusive little creatures." I think they're depressed.

  12. #42
    Structural Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    State of Jefferson - SO Oregon
    Posts
    2,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin Deer View Post
    From my 2019 CX-5 Owner's Manual on the Smart Braking System (SBS).
    After you've turned it off, what is its status when you restart?

  13. #43
    Registered Member

    2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Posts
    1,473
    Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    After you've turned it off, what is its status when you restart?
    The owner's manual claims that SBS automatically restarts. I'll try it this evening when I go out. I've never turned it off.

    The first week I had the car it saved my butt because I was playing with the infotainment system. That stuff is a distraction. I've been more careful since. Driving for nearly 50 years and have never rear-ended anybody.

    As I've said about leaving the Following Distance monitor on, I have no problem with these systems reminding me to back off a little. If I were still in DC traffic and "survival driving" conditions, it would be a different story. But here these systems are a net benefit.
    Last edited by Avoidin Deer; 10-16-2019 at 05:14 PM.

  14. #44
    Structural Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    State of Jefferson - SO Oregon
    Posts
    2,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin Deer View Post
    The owner's manual claims that SBS automatically restarts.
    Right. That's what his complaint is about. There doesn't seem to have been a change between 18 and 19, at least, as you implied.

    I've also never turned it off, don't have any problem with it, and find it potentially beneficial. But if I didn't, like Ronzuki, I'd be looking for options to modify or eliminate it. Or a different car.

  15. #45
    Registered Member

    2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Posts
    1,473
    Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    Right. That's what his complaint is about. There doesn't seem to have been a change between 18 and 19, at least, as you implied.

    I've also never turned it off, don't have any problem with it, and find it potentially beneficial. But if I didn't, like Ronzuki, I'd be looking for options to modify or eliminate it. Or a different car.
    I thought when he said "Can't be completely disabled," he meant that you can only adjust the sensitivity but not turn it off. That's why I thought 2019 was different. NOW I see what he means. Yeh, mine turns back on when I restart the car...it's not "completely disabled."

    If I thought it was gonna cause an accident, inconvenient or not, I'd just go to that screen and hit the button before pulling out of the driveway...or as I'm starting out on my drive. I get where that might suck if you're a 100% non-user.

    Before I bought my car, I recall others making similar comments here...there were times they felt it put them at risk.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-03-2017, 02:21 PM
  2. Rear sway bar keep breaking stuff
    By FukuokaKid in forum Mazda5
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-30-2014, 07:04 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-11-2013, 06:52 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-18-2011, 12:50 AM
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-03-2011, 02:26 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •