Has anyone here bought the diesel CX-5 yet?

Average MPG is 40.3. Damn that's pretty good!
Yeah I thought it would get better mileage than what was reported. 39-40mpg is with light highway driving at speed limit but attainable and useful if you have a decent highway commute. My wife drives it more than I but with mixed driving it seems to be averaging 31-32mpg. Its unfortunate the negative press this thing is getting. Almost every review Ive seen parrots the epa ratings and declares it pretty much a disappointment. The reality is that this is no different from past diesels offered; you cant judge it by the spec sheets. It exceeds the epa ratings quite a bit and the torque, while slightly less than the 2.5T, comes on effortlessly without needing to tip much into the throttle. The difficult thing is its hard to experience these benefits without spending some time with the car or talking to someone who actually has one, which seems to be a rarity.

Last edited:
I'm interested in your lifetime average over about 10K miles. THAT will be the number I am caring about. Still, this is very promising.

I'm more interested in the real world numbers than I am in hyper-miling efforts. If I drove at the speed limit on my daily commute, it wouldn't be long before my back bumper was in the front seat with me. If 31-32mpg in mixed driving can be considered "real world", I don't feel the diesel option is financially attractive. Higher MSRP, higher fuel cost, DEF cost, shorter maintenance interval = a non starter for me. I average 28.5mpg in my GTR.

Yeah I thought it would get better mileage than what was reported. 39-40mpg is with light highway driving at speed limit but attainable and useful if you have a decent highway commute. My wife drives it more than I but with mixed driving it seems to be averaging 31-32mpg. It*s unfortunate the negative press this thing is getting. Almost every review I*ve seen parrots the epa ratings and declares it pretty much a disappointment. The reality is that this is no different from past diesels offered; you can*t judge it by the spec sheets. It exceeds the epa ratings quite a bit and the torque, while slightly less than the 2.5T, comes on effortlessly without needing to tip much into the throttle. The difficult thing is it*s hard to experience these benefits without spending some time with the car or talking to someone who actually has one, which seems to be a rarity.

I'm more interested in the real world numbers than I am in hyper-miling efforts. If I drove at the speed limit on my daily commute, it wouldn't be long before my back bumper was in the front seat with me. If 31-32mpg in mixed driving can be considered "real world", I don't feel the diesel option is financially attractive. Higher MSRP, higher fuel cost, DEF cost, shorter maintenance interval = a non starter for me. I average 28.5mpg in my GTR.

Agreed. I get 26-27mpg in "real world driving", and if I take it easy, around 30mpg. That doesn't involve being slow, either. just not being WOT often. 26-27mpg for a tank average involves frequent WOT and triple digits from time to time. Not sold on the CX5D just yet. The 2.5T is just too good.

Yeah I thought it would get better mileage than what was reported. 39-40mpg is with light highway driving at speed limit but attainable and useful if you have a decent highway commute. My wife drives it more than I but with mixed driving it seems to be averaging 31-32mpg. It*s unfortunate the negative press this thing is getting. Almost every review I*ve seen parrots the epa ratings and declares it pretty much a disappointment. The reality is that this is no different from past diesels offered; you can*t judge it by the spec sheets. It exceeds the epa ratings quite a bit and the torque, while slightly less than the 2.5T, comes on effortlessly without needing to tip much into the throttle. The difficult thing is it*s hard to experience these benefits without spending some time with the car or talking to someone who actually has one, which seems to be a rarity.

Are you going off the trip computer or doing tank to tank comparisons. If you*ve never zeroed the trip computer, it will be way off.

I'm deciding between the 2020 Signature or a 2019 Diesel. Current car is a 2008 Mazda 3 and I average 21,000 miles/year.

I haven't found too many real-world MPG reports. Any chance Anchorman or WebbMD could give an update on what they've been seeing?

There's about $1,275 sales price savings going with the diesel. But with a 20% premium on local diesel prices and added DEF maintenance there's really not much savings over 5-10 years.

Coming from a VW TDI household I'm definitely familiar with all the diesel quirks but it's getting hard to justify slightly less torque compared to the 2.5T.

There's about $1,275 sales price savings going with the diesel. But with a 20% premium on local diesel prices and added DEF maintenance there's really not much savings over 5-10 years.

Coming from a VW TDI household I'm definitely familiar with all the diesel quirks but it's getting hard to justify slightly less torque compared to the 2.5T.
I would opt for the gas Signature. The diesel may be cheaper now but I’d be worried about the cost of potential repairs (as well as the extra cost of diesel). You’re going to put 100k miles on that car in five years. Your powertrain warranty will be gone at 3 years. This is a one year only model and parts are going to be a nightmare to source in the US. Service centers aren’t going to be familiar with how to work on the diesel.

Back